Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mumby Magic

York - The Games Sleeping Giant?

148 posts in this topic

Potentially. I always have felt that eventually a successful York team could help our game. The cosmopolitan multi national array of tourists that pour through the City daily could be opened up to our great game with lots of marketing. Besides that the City is of a fair size population wise and is in need of a ball game sport to support with the lack of threat at the moment from football. I also believe a new stadium could be in the making..........

Thoughts?

Potentially. I always have felt that eventually a successful York team could help our game. The cosmopolitan multi national array of tourists that pour through the City daily could be opened up to our great game with lots of marketing. Besides that the City is of a fair size population wise and is in need of a ball game sport to support with the lack of threat at the moment from football. I also believe a new stadium could be in the making..........

Thoughts?

They have potential, yes. I remember they were attracting 3k crowds not long after they reformed.

Like any in though, they'd need a big backer if they were to progress to the top. Are there any out there with enough interest in York?

York certainly has a sufficiently large population to support a successful team. Not sure that tourists are very likely to take in a game on their visits though, in fact I don't think it's likely at all. York is a bit of a puzzle, in truth - large enough to have a decent club but never been at the top for as far as I can remember Same applies to the soccer club, so maybe it's the fact that much of the population is 'out' of the main part of the city itself or that sport just doesn't capture the inhabitants imagination sufficiently.

York certainly has a sufficiently large population to support a successful team. Not sure that tourists are very likely to take in a game on their visits though, in fact I don't think it's likely at all. York is a bit of a puzzle, in truth - large enough to have a decent club but never been at the top for as far as I can remember Same applies to the soccer club, so maybe it's the fact that much of the population is 'out' of the main part of the city itself or that sport just doesn't capture the inhabitants imagination sufficiently.

Shame they didnt win their CC SF in 84'..,,

The stadium is out of the main part of the city.I think this is part of the problem.

Shame they didnt win their CC SF in 84'..,,

We was robbed that day.

It's a shame they didn't manage to stay up after they got promoted ahead of Fulham and Wigan in 1981. What might have been...

It's a shame they couldn't keep hold of Graham Steadman.

We have always been a selling club, sold Steadman to Featherstone Rovers, who at the time were one of our "rivals" for relegation

It's a shame they didn't manage to stay up after they got promoted ahead of Fulham and Wigan in 1981. What might have been...

See above, sold Johnny Crossley as soon as we were promoted along with one or two of our other better players and relegation was pretty much nailed on there after, as you said "what might have been...."

What is the situation with the proposed new stadium ? Will it be built anytime soon or is it a Newmarket type tease ?

What is the situation with the proposed new stadium ? Will it be built anytime soon or is it a Newmarket type tease ?

Expecting another update sometime early September. Not sure of the finished design but it'll be a 6000 to 8000 all seater stadium that will then be shared by the Rugby League club and the Football League club also the City of York Council will have some kind of "time share" rights on the facilities. |To be built on the existing site of Huntington Stadium with the Knights playing at Bootham Crescent during the building process 

We're dreaming here, aren't we ?  York in $uperleague ?  Not going to happen in my lifetime, I'm afraid.

We're dreaming here, aren't we ?  York in $uperleague ?  Not going to happen in my lifetime, I'm afraid.

You're right but we're debating "ifs" and "buts"

York as a city for potential yes. But I would never call them a sleeping giant. You could also mention Danny Brough, who I think was there for a while.

We have always been a selling club, sold Steadman to Featherstone Rovers, who at the time were one of our "rivals" for relegation

See above, sold Johnny Crossley as soon as we were promoted along with one or two of our other better players and relegation was pretty much nailed on there after, as you said "what might have been...."

Going back a bit I remember Colin Forsyth and Dave Barends coming from York, they were class.

Not sure Super League's been mentioned. I was thinking it was more of a 'giant' in Championship terms.

Would be nice to see York get established a division up. It's always good to have clubs in nice tourist destinations in case you want to build it into a weekend away.

Not sure Super League's been mentioned. I was thinking it was more of a 'giant' in Championship terms.

Would be nice to see York get established a division up. It's always good to have clubs in nice tourist destinations in case you want to build it into a weekend away.

In that case maybe London should have one  ;)

In that case maybe London should have one  ;)

Never particularly liked visiting London but if I did, it would be for the Challenge Cup until they can put a decent, competitive team out. Also, London's already pre-empted my comment by making themselves a championship giant for next season  :onthequiet:

Did you post the same when KR were in CC1 ?

thought they were building a dual purpose stadium rugby in summer and water polo in winter

thought they were building a dual purpose stadium rugby in summer and water polo in winter

Oh, a poor attempt at humour or trolling?

Did you post the same when KR were in CC1 ?

Why would anyone do that?