Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Drake

10/08/14 - CCSF2 - Castleford Tigers v Widnes Vikings KO 3pm

Who will win?   29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers by 13 points or more
    • Castleford Tigers by 7 to 12 points
    • Castleford Tigers by 1 to 6 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 1 to 6 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 7 to 12 points
    • Widnes Vikings by 13 points or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

235 posts in this topic

Discuss the 2nd Tetley's Challenge Cup semi final Castleford Tigers v Widnes Vikings here.

obviously i am tipping widnes for a return to wembley for the first time since 1993

I think Cas will win, but not by much. I also think we'll see a pretty good match.

Cas lacking a few including Millington, Harauki and Carney (who I hear has been charged with grade C dangerous contact today) - should level the game up.

Millington and Carney are big loses IMO.

Not convinced that the Carney incident is worthy of a ban (only seen it live however) but looked very similar to the Paul Aiton one vs salford. Think the charged is based on reputation rather than the actual incident and sadly will deny the wider tv audience watching one of the most entertaining players in Superleague.

*Hearing that the Carney rumour is nonsense and he hasn't been charged - fingers crossed.

Carney charged with grade B and therefore won't feature in the semi.

Will hold my thoughts until if and when I have seen a video of the incident although would question why he wasn't sent of as the ref and linesman were both a few metres away. They felt a penalty sufficient...

Carney charged with grade B and therefore won't feature in the semi.

Will hold my thoughts until if and when I have seen a video of the incident although would question why he wasn't sent of as the ref and linesman were both a few metres away. They felt a penalty sufficient...

This happened right in front of me and if he gets banned he only has himself to blame.

it wasn't malicious at all, he immediately held his hands up and the player got straight up - HOWEVER he has been warned time and time again about his technique and if he's not learning then the only thing that can happen is that he gets banned

Agree to an extent although I do think his strength and lack of height contribute to the issues in terms of technique. On first view from Railway end I thought his saving graces would be him releasing early and the landing position of minn's which didn't present a risk of injury.

This seems all set up for an upset. I think Cas deserve to reach a final for their efforts this year but Widnes will see this as the best chance in a generation to get to Wembley.

I am going for Cas by 8 on form but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Widnes win. Tough call.

It's probably going to be nerve-wracking for Cas and Chemics fans, but the rest of us can just enjoy the hell out of it.

If both teams play to their potential it should be a cracker.

Our defence against both Wire and Hull KR was impressive. If we can tackle like that we're in with a chance.

We have been beaten by Cas twice this season, but both games have been pretty close.

We should have nothing to fear.

We have been beaten by Cas twice this season, but both games have been pretty close.

Really?

So looking forward to this. I hope that it kick starts an era in which both sides take back their places at the top of the table after some grim times.

I have a sneaking feeling that Widnes will peak for this, and that their peak will be good enough. I really like the spine of their team, and they have reached great heights on occasion over the last month or so. That said, Cas dismantled Wigan and gave Leeds such a run for their money that anything less than prefection from Widnes' 1, 6, 7, 9 and 13 won't be enough.

I enjoy watching both sides' style of play, so, assuming neither side freezes (which must be a possibility given what's at stake) it promises to be the second epic encounter of the week end. 2 wonderful clubs and 2 exciting teams. Bring it on!

Really?

lol.........yeh the 40-20 scoreline also came to my mind but I think what he was getting at was that for the large part of the game it was relatively close - you guys deffo sprinted away in the last 10mins or so

The game has sold out, so should be a cracking atmosphere.

The game has sold out, so should be a cracking atmosphere.

And the RFL will undoubtedly pat itself on the back for what it deems to have been a great decision.

As for the game, Cas will still be clear favourites. Although we've improved this year Widnes rarely seem to do well in big occasions where people think we have a chance. The Wire away game springs to mind. We can catch teams on the hop but I don't think we cope well with expectation.

And the RFL will undoubtedly pat itself on the back for what it deems to have been a great decision.

As for the game, Cas will still be clear favourites. Although we've improved this year Widnes rarely seem to do well in big occasions where people think we have a chance. The Wire away game springs to mind. We can catch teams on the hop but I don't think we cope well with expectation.

It is set up to be a great occasion, the rest is up to the players and the BBC to ensure it is

The ground will look fantastic, the pitch immaculate and the noise will be deafening - enjoy and may the best team win

Looking forward to this - I'm expecting a classic semi final and a great close game - P.S. I'll be backing CasHullford  :drinks:

Oh and I'm going :-)

Good luck to both teams, hope it's a really exciting game and, more than anything else at the minute, really, really hope whoever wins goes on to lift the cup on the 23rd.

Hull FC had some great tussles with both Cas and Widnes in RL cup semi finals and finals in the early 80's, oh how I wish the result when we played Widnes at Station Road, Swinton in 1980 could have been reversed.  :(

I think Cas will win although if Kevin Brown plays like he can it may be close and he could swing it for the Chemics. Looking back at this season, Cas have been able to compete and win against most teams throughout the year whereas Widnes have struggled on a fair few occasions. I think Cas's desire to play for each other, obviously inspired by Powell, will mean they will win by a couple of scores at least.

Mind you, surely neither team will be as strong favourites as Wire were at Hudds last year... B)

The weather forecast is awful for the weekend which is a great shame.  Which team performs best in the rain?

The weather forecast is awful for the weekend which is a great shame.  Which team performs best in the rain?

Probably just give Widnes the advantage for me - we will miss Millington big style if it's a forwards battle

RLMeltdown's been busy...

My first Wembley trip was in '75 to watch Widnes beat Wire 14-7............................don't want a repeat of that!

I think it might be Castleford's time for the big silver pot.