Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greavesy

score at Whitehaven.

66 posts in this topic

Thought you did ok today greenwood is a special player, Rowe is a waste ov space going high all the time your second row who played stand off deserves a mention as he run his self into the ground never mind two even sides but home advantage was the killer safe journey home

We shouldn't be too hard on the coach/board imo.  We generally have to get by with the worst crowds in the league, and despite this we have over achieved.  Take a player like Black out of any mid table side for half the season and they would struggle, especially if the youngster brought in to give cover had also missed most of the season. Very disappointing mind you.

What happened with Chris Rowe?  If banned he will be another huge loss for us.

Was Alex Rowe he flattened our prop off the ball, with his elbow apparently.

HW

introduce new board members with new ideas to recapture and exceed the success of recent seasons.

Genuinly doesnt matter how many new board members with new ideas you bring in, Kevin will ask the same old question of how much will it cost to impliment these ideas and if the answer is any more than a fiver he will scupper it, of course thats also assuming he thinks it might be a ood idea anyway, if its a good idea then it becomes his idea, Batley has been a 1 man club since Kevin took over and always will be while he is in charge, anyone remember the much promised "5 year plan" from the mid nineties, ###### then and still is now, love for the club and the game doesnt bring success.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ    over achieved gets a bit boring, the bod/coach as failed the fans big time, you couldent have got anything any worse if they tried this season, sick of all the over achieving rubbish,other teams built on what they had and went up a rung while we fell off the ladder,we decided we  to destroy what we had thru lack of signings that count and no cover for what we might have had.sad day. :assassin:

Maybe you are right, Silverback, but teams with lousy crowds usually end up near the bottom of the pile at some stage.  For really bad management look at teams over the years that have failed despite excellent crowd numbers. Still, lots of ifs and buts, and Nick07 makes some pretty fair and reasonable points (as always).   Anyway, however critical or generous we may be with our opinions;  just now  feels pretty horrible.

Was Alex Rowe he flattened our prop off the ball, with his elbow apparently.

HW

Ok, HW, thanks for the reply.

And next up we play Dewsbury. How much fun for them if they put the final nail in our coffin. We started the season with 1  half back we were poor . We finish the season with 1 half back also poor its like groundhog day. The lack of ambition by our club has for once let us down. And our recruitment ,well enough has been said on that one. Feeling very let down have heard we still had funds available in Bissa we should have gambled  IMO.

I'll be there next week, along with the other half a dozen Dewsbury fans, and will confess to having somehwat mixed feelings. I honestly don't want Batley to be relegated both for pragmatic reasons but also for the loss of a genuine local battle, which i'm sure we all enjoy. On the other hand i will want my team to win, naturally, yet if that means condemning yours to relegation that will certainly take the edge off any pleasure that I might gain.

Unlike you we have been relegated a couple of times in recent years and we know that it isn't a piece of cake getting back up again. I know that the loyal supporters will stand by the club no matter what; I just hope that enough of your current fans can maintain that streak of stubborness and loyalty that the new division will demand.

Yes I'm a bit disappointed but I will be there next season, if I remember correctly our CEO was on holiday at the same time last year but nobody seemed to mind.

Disappointed about our non signings or others jumping in and gazumping us, same as what seems that others set out to destroy our team, and it worked.

Cheers Roger.

Hilarious. Just remember - what goes around, comes around.

glad you remembered

as you see.... it does come around

dont panic just yet... youve 3 points next Sunday

;)

Very true Gaz. Any business experiencing the season that we have had, with 'eyes off the ball' would hold an inquest at the very least , and make the appropriate changes in the responsible personnel. The future of our Club would appear to be a matter of the personal choice and ambition of the Chairman, if your comments are correct

I think our squad was well equipped last season on deadline day last season & had a winger of Gareth Potts quality kicking his heels, Tom Hemmingway as a spare half back & a dual reg system that worked.

I'm really concerned about who we are gonna play against Swinton if the 2 recent red cards turn to bans. I just hope hudds, Halifax & Leigh don't suffer a raft of injuries or we could could be in serious trouble.

Whilst you cannot prodict injuries/bans you can prepare for them by having players in the squad to fill in. We haven't had that. At the time of recruitment of this years squad I seem to remember Kevin saying we have overspent so on this paper thin squad it shows you how far behind the 8 ball we are.

This has been a horrible season with very little to shout about & we don't seem to have any fight in us & heads seem to drop at the slightest hint of adversity. Regardless of what happens on Thurs all I would like to see is the players get stuck in like their lives depended on it.

Just arrived home after witnessing what was genuinely the worst second half performance I've ever seen from a Batley side. We were in a great position at half-time (despite 30 minutes of below-par RL), yet only got into the Haven 20 zone once - yes ONCE, during the second 40 minutes of the game. Knock on after knock on in our own half, terrible discipline and all the go-forward of a Trabant in reverse.

Utterly demoralising, and even moreso when loyal fans turned up expecting a blood and guts performance in possibly the most important game of our season. Lots of people were discussing our likely prospects in Championship 1 next season - especially in terms of which players might stay and which might go. Well, on this seasons performances, I'd only actually want Greenwood (gone), Brown (not ours) and Gledhill to reappear next season. Sadly, the rest of them are either nowhere near good enough, over the hill or simply not committed enough to warrant new deals.

Disgraceful, and pretty much a kick in the teeth to the hundred or so who braved shocking weather to get there.

When you look back and reflect on our position at the end of last season (and the wonderful platform it gave us upon which to build and develop towards becoming a really strong club at this level), it only serves to emphasise how appallingly the management of the club - especially those individuals involved in decision-making processes, have let us down this season. I'm afraid that they have a lot of questions to answer, but I expect that we'll be treated with the same contempt as per usual.

Campbell should be back (assuming he stays and repays the club's stance) so he can fill in more than capably at no1. Scott, Gledhill, Chandler, Leatherbarrow are on my list, hope Leek gets fit as he was looking promising when he came, as I'm sure we've seen the last of Ben Black. Rowe too should stay as he's a full hearted type, Rettie's already signed, Nicholson and Blake haven't been wastes. What has been a waste is loaning out 2 players when we've been bringing loans in. Leary always looked confident to me, in his first season JK said he was one for the future, yet got game time in most of the important games last year, only to find that his future still didn't arrive this year despite again playing in the 'big' games. Brennan has been a disappointment I agree, but again he's only 20, needed to be subbing and getting on to learn from Davies and Applegarth. Now, there's a couple of names! Will Davies stay and go down a league? Will Applegarth ever see out a season? I know it's been club policy in the past to be guarded and gentlemanly in transfer dealings, but now is the time to bare the Bulldogs teeth and get stuck in to the market. Assuming that we are joined by Barrow, Swinton, Rochdale and NW Crusaders, rest assured that they won't sit back and stick with what they've got, so we have to compete with them in order to get back. it's not just a case of sending down any old team to Coventry and Hemel etc and expecting them to roll over and respect our past. We need to be doing the rounds of Super League clubs, looking for either promising young players who can't quite force their way in, or pick up a couple of old heads who are just on the verge of being squeezed out, but who fancy they just might pick up another medal or two before hitting the rocking chair. Knock on Koiukash's door, we've sent him enough players, ask him for one, Saints as well. Just don't go with another small, paper thin squad and expect the DR system (if it's kept) to work better for us, we had to my count 8 different players from Giants at some stage of the season, none of whom put in any lengthy stint and half of whom were taken back and sent somewhere else. If we don't re-appear in this division then I can see us eventually joining the likes of Bramley, Huyton, Blackpool etc, teams who just get let go by the RFL. The board must take action now. I wouldn't for a moment question their commitment, if they hadn't been committed, we wouldn't have had the good run we've enjoyed over the last 5 seasons, but something revolutionary has to rear its' head..or else.

if the worst happens and we go down,which in a normal season wouldn't have happened as 14 points clear of team in bottom two, would have a gamble on Danny Thomas as he has been outstanding in games for the All Golds and if Danny Maun reckons he can do another season at that level get him back ,so going back to the culture of local lads that will wear the shirt with pride and put in 110 % each week,but still 9pts to play for so not down yet but will need a massive effort from all the players to play like a team that wants to stay in the championship and fight against all odds, my girlfriends football team Birmingham City looked down and out and relegated to division 2 last season and survived with a winning performance in last game of the season so as she says still believe until its not mathematically possible to avoid relegation

If we don't re-appear in this division then I can see us eventually joining the likes of Bramley, Huyton, Blackpool etc, teams who just get let go by the RFL.

Whilst I think all this talk of relegation is a little premature, what happens to the club if they do go down is surely in the hands of the board and supporters, not the rfl.

Make no mistake this team does not have the fight to win the important games that are to come. After yesterdays capitulation can anyone honestly see us going to Doncaster and winning thats if the team decide they have enough fight in them to win the remaining two home fixtures. One of them being Dewsbury who slaughtered us earlier this season.. We have one slim chance and that depends on the RL if we lose points we are down simple as.that. If they dock us points It will then be out of our hands. When you think back to the fight and commitment of last seasons team   you wonder what on earth has happened. Then you realise that as a club we have made so many mistakes as well as showing a complete lack of the ambition required of a forward thinking club to survive in this very important season. The buck stops at the board and the coaching staff who for once have let the club down. Wrong decitions have been made. We thaught we could survive with a team shorn of the depth needed when injuries kicked in . Bad signings of mediocre players has become the norm. Maybe we do have a apathetic public in Batley and our gates are a disgrace, they reflect a lack of interest by the people of the town. I hope as a long time and caring supporter that if the worst does happen we can rise once again and not become another Oldham ( no disrespect intended ) who have gone from the top to the bottem and struggled to reach those heights again. We have a good chairman and a hard working group of people at the club. Decitions have to be made and some of them may not be easy with the people they effect.

Sack the coach!!!!

its all his fault

Youve had a fantasic run,punched above your weight for years and excelled with what you have for years..grand final last season

how on earth can you follow that on the resources available..losing the backbone of your team end of last season was your downfall

likes of flanagan,maun & co lads who always put a shift in for batley...big hearts

and money cant buy them

everything good comes to a end and usually

is followed by bad..

you can go out kicking and screaming like little

girls... or you can go out head held high knowing your best just wasnt good enough and accept your fate

ive held my head up a couple of times over the past few years...and bounced back

time to get your heads up ;)

Very true Gaz. Any business experiencing the season that we have had, with 'eyes off the ball' would hold an inquest at the very least , and make the appropriate changes in the responsible personnel. The future of our Club would appear to be a matter of the personal choice and ambition of the Chairman, if your comments are correct

Didn't a lot of your fans become shareholders a couple of seasons ago? If I'm right then they must have the opportunity to influence some of these decisions/ambitions won't they?

Didn't a lot of your fans become shareholders a couple of seasons ago? If I'm right then they must have the opportunity to influence some of these decisions/ambitions won't they?

When the so-called 'shares' were sold, a 'no voting rights' clause was inserted.

In truth, and as was the belief espoused by doubters at the time, they weren't real 'shares' at all - just a veiled donation to the club underpinned by a 'we want your money but not your opinion or input' policy.

I know one 'shareholder' who, around four years on from his purchase - and despite numerous requests to the relevant individuals, hasn't even received his 'share' certificate yet.

When the so-called 'shares' were sold, a 'no voting rights' clause was inserted.

In truth, and as was the belief espoused by doubters at the time, they weren't real 'shares' at all - just a veiled donation to the club underpinned by a 'we want your money but not your opinion or input' policy.

I know one 'shareholder' who, around four years on from his purchase - and despite numerous requests to the relevant individuals, hasn't even received his 'share' certificate yet.

I see, but they are still shares of a sort aren't they? That will at least give those shareholders access to club accounts and such like I assume, just for their peace of mind if nothing else.

Who holds the voting rights?

Some good points Greavesy. I don't think anybody is questioning the work ethic within the Club, or where the heart of the Chairman is. What people are questioning is the ability/capacity within the current management structure to meet the requirements of Championship rugby, when the ante has been upped over the past 2 seasons. We have not planned for what clearly has been needed, and were always aware of those needs.

If the Club has ambition to win back the ground we have lost this season through lack of planning and poor decision making, then they will make fairly radical changes within their management structure, with the possible use of outside expertise. A conversation with Ken Davy of Huddersfield Giants, our DR partners, would be a starting point for advice in this area. He has a high regard for our club, and I am sure would be happy to help Kevin and the Board.

I believe that the time has come now when the loyal band of paying supporters and volunteers want to see some real activity and change within the Club, to meet the ever challenging and increasing demands of our sport off the field, which radically affect the ability to field a competitive team on the field.

Some good points Greavesy. I don't think anybody is questioning the work ethic within the Club, or where the heart of the Chairman is. What people are questioning is the ability/capacity within the current management structure to meet the requirements of Championship rugby, when the ante has been upped over the past 2 seasons. We have not planned for what clearly has been needed, and were always aware of those needs.

If the Club has ambition to win back the ground we have lost this season through lack of planning and poor decision making, then they will make fairly radical changes within their management structure, with the possible use of outside expertise. A conversation with Ken Davy of Huddersfield Giants, our DR partners, would be a starting point for advice in this area. He has a high regard for our club, and I am sure would be happy to help Kevin and the Board.

I believe that the time has come now when the loyal band of paying supporters and volunteers want to see some real activity and change within the Club, to meet the ever challenging and increasing demands of our sport off the field, which radically affect the ability to field a competitive team on the field.

Some absolutely excellent points there, Bulldog Days.

Unfortunately, I think that you're urinating in the wind.

The Press reported on the share issue conditions in November 2009 BSJ.

Bulldogs fans get a share of the action

Friday 20th November 2009

' BATLEY BULLDOGS have begun to pay off debts after fans injected £20,000 into the club through a share issue.

The £250 shares are still available and the Bulldogs have sold just over half of the 200 offered by the directors.

The new shareholders met with directors at Mount Pleasant last Thursday evening, when chairman Kevin Nicholas explained the financial position of the club.

Weve started using the money to pay off debts so we can be in a strong financial position at the start of the season, he said.

The meeting was very encouraging and well keep the share offer open for the time being. We would like to sell them all and raise another £20,000 and until theyre all sold we wont appoint a new shareholder to the board of directors.

Well be holding regular meetings to keep the shareholders up to date and well keep them informed about our finances and explain about how the club is run.'

The voting rights of the shares are not mentioned BSJ, and as far as I am aware a 'shareholder representative' has not been appointed to the Board. I suspect, as per the article, that another class of share has been issued for fundraising purposes, without any attaching powers of voting.

The Press reported on the share issue conditions in November 2009 BSJ.

Bulldogs fans get a share of the action

Friday 20th November 2009

' BATLEY BULLDOGS have begun to pay off debts after fans injected £20,000 into the club through a share issue.

The £250 shares are still available and the Bulldogs have sold just over half of the 200 offered by the directors.

The new shareholders met with directors at Mount Pleasant last Thursday evening, when chairman Kevin Nicholas explained the financial position of the club.

Weve started using the money to pay off debts so we can be in a strong financial position at the start of the season, he said.

The meeting was very encouraging and well keep the share offer open for the time being. We would like to sell them all and raise another £20,000 and until theyre all sold we wont appoint a new shareholder to the board of directors.

Well be holding regular meetings to keep the shareholders up to date and well keep them informed about our finances and explain about how the club is run.'

The voting rights of the shares are not mentioned BSJ, and as far as I am aware a 'shareholder representative' has not been appointed to the Board. I suspect, as per the article, that another class of share has been issued for fundraising purposes, without any attaching powers of voting.

Thanks for that BD, very interesting even if it is strictly none of my business. I thought at the time that this model could be one that other clubs might follow but had failed to be aware of the voting rights factor.