Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roy Boy

Major Coup

35 posts in this topic

Hull FC are hoping to announce a new signing in the next 24 hours akin to Garreth Ellis!

A current NRL second rower (international) being chased by a few NRL clubs as well.

Anyone had a sniff?

Would make sense - he wouldn't count on overseas quota I suspect.

If it is Heighington I'd hardly call it a "coup".

Another Aussie coming to the end of his career looking to boost his pension more like. If everybody is fit at Cronulla he doesn't get near the first team.

It's Mark Minichiello from the Titans. It's on the Gold Coast Bulletin website. He's 32 but I think he'll be a good signing... a very good, professional attitude and still a good player

I'm not sure how good a signing he will be. He has had a good career in the NRL but he is getting on a bit now. Then again, Matty Bowen was getting on a bit and look how well he's playing.

It's Mark Minichiello from the Titans. It's on the Gold Coast Bulletin website. He's 32 but I think he'll be a good signing... a very good, professional attitude and still a good player

Really?

What a coup.

Edit: So, it is Minichiello. Not a very good signing in the first place - he's distinctly average - but for FC to promote this as a major coup is just laughable. Their fans must be gutted.

Really?

What a coup.

Edit: So, it is Minichiello. Not a very good signing in the first place - he's distinctly average - but for FC to promote this as a major coup is just laughable. Their fans must be gutted.

Not really, I haven't got a clue whether he's any good or not.

But I am very pleased about the new contract for local lad Dean Hadley. He really is going to be good.

A good player but not what I'd consider a headline signing. Not even the most famous player in his family. :P 

What's the point in bringing over a 32 year old, average NRL forward?  Typical Hull signing.  Forwards are our strength in the UK.

If he had signed for a team like St George, Brisbane, Canberra, nobody would have said anything, he would have gone there and done a decent job. Just like he'll go to Hull (a bottom half SL team) and do a decent job.

I get the point that we should be using quota spots on real stars, but we have seen loads of non-exciting signings being very good.

32 isn't that old these days for a fit player, I'm sure he'll go fine.

Isn't it funny how often "Major coup" gets promoted to "General Disaster"

What's the point in bringing over a 32 year old, average NRL forward?  Typical Hull signing.  Forwards are our strength in the UK.

In what way is it a typical Hull signing? I can only think of one overseas player over the age of 30 in the current Hull squad.

If he had signed for a team like St George, Brisbane, Canberra, nobody would have said anything, he would have gone there and done a decent job. Just like he'll go to Hull (a bottom half SL team) and do a decent job.

I get the point that we should be using quota spots on real stars, but we have seen loads of non-exciting signings being very good.

32 isn't that old these days for a fit player, I'm sure he'll go fine.

I think he'll go pretty well too.

He's a great clubman - he's been at the Titans for eight years, since their first year in the NRL, and is really respected by his peers and the fans.

A consummate professional, a hard worker and an allround good guy. 

I think Hull fans will like him

Minichello is a decent enough signing. He always appears to be putting plenty of effort into his performances and hopefully he'll bring the same attitude over to Hull. I don't think he'll be considered one of the 'here to top up his pension' brigade which is rightly or wrongly given to plenty of imports.

Did Hull announce his signing as a major coup or was that just the rumour mill? Looking at their website it announces 'Hull Sign Experienced Titans Star Minichello' which is a bit less hyperbolic than 'Major Coup'.

I think he'll go pretty well too.

He's a great clubman - he's been at the Titans for eight years, since their first year in the NRL, and is really respected by his peers and the fans.

A consummate professional, a hard worker and an allround good guy. 

I think Hull fans will like him

Thanks for that, it's always good to read a balanced opinion from somebody who actually knows something about the player.

lmao - I started the thread and thought major coup would get the response it did!

I'm happy with him as all reports I get from mates in Aus is he's a good buy ;-)

titans fans seem pretty gutted he has left so you would think he should go fairly well.

A good player but not what I'd consider a headline signing. Not even the most famous player in his family. :P

Doesn't look enough like The Count from Sesame Street for my liking.