Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ivans82

game day change

57 posts in this topic

The international game coming up is on a Friday night so that might test the theory as to whether people will come on a different day. I know it'll be a different fan base to a certain extent but it'll at least give an indication.

Barrow board allegedly looking at possible Saturday evening home games. 6:30 KO'S

Friday evening games mean you get a chance of peoples disposable income before others. For instance before the football , the speedway, the missus wanting to go shopping, a Saturday night out. These can all mean there is very little left by Sunday afternoon.

Well I think it's worth considering a 7.30 or 8 Friday game . If you never try you never know . I understand the away fans thing , but it's once a season , and some make a weekend of it . Here we're talking about getting in more and new townies , who'll come back whenever we play . Pick a game then with a poor crowd this year and not much away support . What's to lose . There are swings n roundabouts , and arguments and counter arguments for everything , and if you concentrate on barriers then you'd never innovate

We tried this a few years ago, I think it was against Doncaster, We won the game, Scott Burgess had a blinder, We had a good night as we didn't have to worry about work in the morning, we went to town after the game for a few scoops. Sounds fantastic...................................

But the crowd was rather poor, I'm not sure on the exact attendance figure but I'm pretty sure it was down on our season average!

We tried this a few years ago, I think it was against Doncaster, We won the game, Scott Burgess had a blinder, We had a good night as we didn't have to worry about work in the morning, we went to town after the game for a few scoops. Sounds fantastic...................................

But the crowd was rather poor, I'm not sure on the exact attendance figure but I'm pretty sure it was down on our season average!

yeah johnny it could sort of backfire by having a poor crowd that is certainly a possibility but I always think don't knock something until you have tried it. Obviously your in a position to knock it as you say it affected your crowd. However there are quite a few up here seem keen to see how it would go. Only one way to find out.

Found the attendance: 626

We hosted Swinton a fortnight before: 644

and Keighley a week later: 718

On a personal note, I would love a Friday night game but on the whole IMO I don't think it would make much difference!

yeah johnny it could sort of backfire by having a poor crowd that is certainly a possibility but I always think don't knock something until you have tried it. Obviously your in a position to knock it as you say it affected your crowd. However there are quite a few up here seem keen to see how it would go. Only one way to find out.

We (Town) have tried it................ That's what I'm getting at lol

We (Town) have tried it................ That's what I'm getting at lol

sorry johnny I am getting you mixed up with someone else off another forum doh!

With a winning team playing good quality RL and more publicity about ourselves I think the Sunday crowds would go up quite a bit.  We didn't need to change our day when we were last on the rise under Ashton and Walsh and the crowds grew enormously to what they were.

Couldn't believe that bit in the RLE about the opening Wigan game in SL . Only 18 years back... 7,002 !!

I remember going to play HKR in a friendly at Galashiels and we took 15 coachloads.   I've never seen a beer tent so busy!!!!!!!

i loved the ashton era . but that was before televised premiership football , and the mass of other sports now concentrated on sunday afternoons . it was also before all day drinking laws came in and there still was that hope of promotion . all these things contribute to falling gates .thats why i would try friday nights .

With a winning team playing good quality RL and more publicity about ourselves I think the Sunday crowds would go up quite a bit. We didn't need to change our day when we were last on the rise under Ashton and Walsh and the crowds grew enormously to what they were.

That's all it takes Keith a winning team. Also can the club not maybe afford to lover admission prices?

Reds is down to £10 adults £6 concessions and under 16's £1. (Yes I know we have dropped down a league)

But for our 1st home game of the season on Tuesday night there was a crowd of 415.

We got no where near 400 last season!

Food for thought

i loved the ashton era . but that was before televised premiership football , and the mass of other sports now concentrated on sunday afternoons . it was also before all day drinking laws came in and there still was that hope of promotion . all these things contribute to falling gates .thats why i would try friday nights .

I can't understand people wanting to sit in a pub looking at a screen when they can go see live sport.

I think that would be more to do with curiosity than the price.

You could be right, you could be wrong. But one thing is for sure. Make it more affordable and peole will come.

Initially but if the product is ###### they won't keep coming.

That is true, thankfully we won and played well so hopfully they will come back.

Maybe cheaper season tickets are another option then at least the club has the money

Only time will tell. Unfortunately supporters are very fickle so you can spend weeks building it and one poor performance and it drops back down. But the reds should win more than they lose this year.

I remember going to play HKR in a friendly at Galashiels and we took 15 coachloads. I've never seen a beer tent so busy!!!!!!!

i remember thatone k.t,pre lambrini days ofcourse...i was drinking white lightning then.

I can remember when I 1sf started to go to derwent park, I would have been 7 in the 92 season and I got a season ticket and supporters badge from school for £5 and the season after £10. Now I know all the junior season tickets wouldn't add up to a big value but if a child gets a ticket then a parent would have to take them so that could be an extra person through the gates, and also it's creating a fan base for the future. I went down and was instantly hooked, and have been ever since. Kids are the future and the more the merrier on a Sunday afternoon.

As a loyal part timer. I usually get to 5 or 6 games a season when visiting family in Cumbria. If you moved it to a Friday night then I wouldn’t be able to see a game without taking a day off work.

Agree that watching a big game under flood lights would be great for the atmosphere but unless one of you can PM me with a Oracle / SQLServer or PRINCE2 job back in Cumbria, I’m hoping Town generally stay with the Sunday afternoon fixtures.

I don't think it's the price that put kids off it's the product. The bottom line is at the moment kids want to watch super league and not the level that Town are currently playing at.