Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kevin Nicholas

Chairman statement

94 posts in this topic

No its 10 players left yes 10 9 played in the grandfinal think about it. If your team lost 1o starting players from the 17 would you struggle. Lets hope you dont brillant season equals players offered more money more security for their familys .there is your reason fetch in 10 players that have not played togeather before and see how your season goes .

Eh.

Well, I guess that the underpinning message behind this statement is that we, as fans, should prepare for the worst. If we can't attract investment, can't attract sponsorship and can't attract crowds, then a long stint at the bottom of Championship 1 is the future.

If the current regime cannot increase the club's income - over nearly 17 years in fact, then no-one can. All hope is lost. This after a Grand Final appearance and a fantastic subsequent marketing campaign which massively increased our visibility yet amazingly failed to capture the imagination of the town during the close season. We couldn't even attract any decent players to the club after one of the most successful seasons in our history. I reckon we've truly found our level.

As fans, we need to be careful not to be too critical. If we are, the only people in the whole world who are capable of running the club might walk away and leave us with no club at all to cheer on against Hemel Hempstead.

Have you given Kev a ring yet The Terminator?

You need batley lads in the team

like the batley legends who played with big hearts

lythe,maun,flanagan,moxon,wilson,spieght,storey,scott

wonder if the likes of judas faal will be taking

30 pieces of silver at the first oppotunity

like he did us.

you need loyalty above all now

Have you given Kev a ring yet The Terminator?

Would it be normal procedure for a fan to give a club chairman a telephone call to discuss his concerns?

What you're actually saying is; "You daren't give him a ring, dare you.". Why should I? I've outlined my concerns on here, and he's responded. He doesn't agree with anyone's criticism - constructive or otherwise, and it appears that little will change. Would the chairman change his views if I made the rather peculiar step of giving him a ring to repeat what I've written on this forum?

Either way, it's not like anyone answers the phone up there when you do ring. The same goes for replying to emails.

As much as iro was a trojan or super sub with his trademark try is he up to it?

Ronnie would turn in his grave the way we are seemingly melting away.

Was stevie b onto something a few month back

Cougars and haven need to wobble but a minor miracle is needed to avoid disaster

As much as iro was a trojan or super sub with his trademark try is he up to it?

Ronnie would turn in his grave the way we are seemingly melting away.

Was stevie b onto something a few month back

Cougars and haven need to wobble but a minor miracle is needed to avoid disaster

Really?

It is difficult to answer complex issues in a few sentences which is what happens here but it is unfair to say nothing is taken on board. I have previously said our decision to go with a smaller squad and rely on dual reg was the wrong one in hindsight and it has had a major impact on our season.Blacky missing for most of the season has had a massive impact as it would have at any Club who had their most experienced playmaker missing. We fully expected him to be back much sooner than he was on his first injury but there was a constant problem with fluid which at one point looked like it would not clear up.Then Leak gets injured seriously & Ben gets injured again which is bad luck. Playmakers are not exactly in abundance and not many Clubs are able to run with 3 experienced halfbacks where each week one will not play.Clubs are now looking for players who can play in more than one position which helps this situation.The Bissa situation is not a question of not spending but saving for next season but I will attend their meeting to go thru it with the committee who can then advise members.

The present Board & Iro have been here over a period of time when the Club has been transformed and we have achieved on & off the field so to say anyone is not up to it is a joke.To say this season we have made errors which are unforgivable makes more sense.We are not perfect and have never been but i can assure you it is far from easy.We do not do it for plaudits I can assure you but cos we love the Club and for the most part enjoy it .We are constantly at the Club trying to improve revenue streams away from rugby so that we are sustainable as a business and we are doing that as we know we & other Clubs cannot survive on gates and we have achieved some success which is why we are still here.Eg. My daughter & friends hand delivered 10,000 leaflets to homes in Batley promoting function suites at Club.We can improve in some areas but we have not done too bad.

The errors of this season will not be repeated but hopefully the bad luck will not be either but I am not trying to persuade everyone on this forum to accept that I am just trying to explain a bit.By the way I have a job so am not at the Club each day but will speak to anyone if spoken to as I have no problem answering questions.prefer to know who I am speaking to though!

You need batley lads in the team

like the batley legends who played with big hearts

lythe,maun,flanagan,moxon,wilson,spieght,storey,scott

wonder if the likes of judas faal will be taking

30 pieces of silver at the first oppotunity

like he did us.

you need loyalty above all now

I've heard from a bloke at the chip shop, he will be unveiled as our "marquee" signing tonight - no really, it's true. ;)

I've heard from a bloke at the chip shop, he will be unveiled as our "marquee" signing tonight - no really, it's true. ;)

tell you if its judas faal signing tonight only marquee type building he will be coming in close contact with will be a teepee rammed up his ar.senal wide end first ;)

No its 10 players left yes 10 9 played in the grandfinal think about it. If your team lost 1o starting players from the 17 would you struggle. Lets hope you dont brillant season equals players offered more money more security for their familys .there is your reason fetch in 10 players that have not played togeather before and see how your season goes .

he was only asking, I'm sure he wasn't aware that you'd lost that many players. As for our season? We have every single player bar one who has been injured all year signed up for next season and most on 2 year contracts, it's called forward thinking and making sure your competitive in the future, a club like batley shouldn't be on there way down I'm afraid and from the times I've seen you play it's got to be the way kear has you playing forwards rugby all the time with no plan b.

Thanks again Kevin for your clarification on certain issues.

I am and always have been the first to give you and the board all credit for the achievements in recent seasons, something of which you all can be extremely proud. What is very difficult to understand for many true supporters, is firstly the lack of communication of your plans and ambitions for the Club, following all the relative success. Most businesses and sporting organisations have targets and budgets in place, which helps in selling the Club to potential sponsors, investors, and new players. It also keeps the supporters and existing sponsors motivated and feeling included.

Secondly, do the above groups (supporters and sponsors) see how all your hard work, and the hard work of the many volunteers at the Club, is translated into income into the Club via financial statements. When they are buying their burgers (quality ones at that!) , and their pints, do they see the impact their support (enjoyable albeit) is having in a positive way on the Club's finances. Again, this is a communication issue that could be improved by a more 'open book' approach.

Thirdly, we can all learn from success. Have you considered speaking with Ken Davy at Huddersfield Giants, who I am sure would be very willing to assist our Club whom he highly respects, and look at their marketing strategies and structure, perhaps sending Iro across to the John Smiths Stadium, spending some time within their organisation.

I think most reasonable supporters understand that your profession takes up much if your time, and is your bread and butter. Try and make it easier on yourself Kevin, and become more 'inclusive' by more regular communication, and the acceptance of new ways to strengthen and improve the Club, especially if we are facing the climb from Championship 1 rugby to get back to where we belong, challenging for real honours.

I am and always have been the first to give you and the board all credit for the achievements in recent seasons, something of which you all can be extremely proud. What is very difficult to understand for many true supporters, is firstly the lack of communication of your plans and ambitions for the Club, following all the relative success. Most businesses and sporting organisations have targets and budgets in place, which helps in selling the Club to potential sponsors, investors, and new players. It also keeps the supporters and existing sponsors motivated and feeling included.

Secondly, do the above groups (supporters and sponsors) see how all your hard work, and the hard work of the many volunteers at the Club, is translated into income into the Club via financial statements. When they are buying their burgers (quality ones at that!) , and their pints, do they see the impact their support (enjoyable albeit) is having in a positive way on the Club's finances. Again, this is a communication issue that could be improved by a more 'open book' approach.

Thirdly, we can all learn from success. Have you considered speaking with Ken Davy at Huddersfield Giants, who I am sure would be very willing to assist our Club whom he highly respects, and look at their marketing strategies and structure, perhaps sending Iro across to the John Smiths Stadium, spending some time within their organisation.

I think most reasonable supporters understand that your profession takes up much if your time, and is your bread and butter. Try and make it easier on yourself Kevin, and become more 'inclusive' by more regular communication, and the acceptance of new ways to strengthen and improve the Club, especially if we are facing the climb from Championship 1 rugby to get back to where we belong, challenging for real honours.

Excellent post, not sure who you are, but you have put some cracking posts on in recent times, Terminator you have a rival for the best posting gong. Take a bow sir.

Excellent post, agree 100% with Babcock. This is by far and away the best thing I've read on this subject. Objective and constructive in equal measure!

Will try to take on board communication points etc. but probably via website not on here.although may duplicate stuff if get chance. Cos I always go on a bit the forum is not for me anymore also some unfair posts I get frustrated with but not all as some are good points and fair but others not. Anyway whether I am being optimistic or not we are not down yet and that is my attitude regardless . Will address issues after 7th sept whatever they are.

Thank you Kevin, and so glad you will probably using the website, personally I don't and will never use facebook, twitter or tweets.

I will be there again next season no matter what.

Cheers Roger.

Will try to take on board communication points etc. but probably via website not on here.although may duplicate stuff if get chance. Cos I always go on a bit the forum is not for me anymore also some unfair posts I get frustrated with but not all as some are good points and fair but others not. Anyway whether I am being optimistic or not we are not down yet and that is my attitude regardless . Will address issues after 7th sept whatever they are.

But surely that's the point. No one wants a personal statement from the chairman every night, even though it is appreciated when you do. Regular up dates via the website, copied onto here and onto facebook and twitter would be great. And we all appreciate that there are very few people at the club doing a lot of jobs. If more people could be persuaded to do jobs such as public communications, it would free up people within the club to concentrate on other jobs. 

An example of this is the work that Mark did as Chairman LMAO, with links on here to website articles etc. I understand that that work must be very time consuming, so wouldn't it be worth employing someone, even on a part time basis to deal with communications? 

I think people are frustrated by the lack of any information, Grayston for example, we still have had no official notification of whether he has signed for us or not. 

No one is a bigger supporter of the club than me and defender of the work our directors do, but I have to say that when things go wrong, we do tend to look amatuerish. While I understand this can be painful for KN, it hurts us all as supporters and as a club.

I know things are not over for this season, but as it is virtually nailed on, I would be really interested in our plans for next season when they are formulated, and would sincerely hope that the club see it as an opportunity, and spend as little time possible wallowing in self pity. I would also think that the shareholders, one of which I am proud to be, deserve at least this.

This is the worst season batley have had for a while,unfortunately it's come at the wrong time with all the changes what's going on.I don't know Kevin Nicholas personally but what he's done in the 17yrs he's been at the club is remarkable. What was he supposed to do at end of last season to keep all them players on board,match the terms that Featherstone,Halifax & even Keighley? At the end of the day John Kear is in charge of recruitment not the chairman,admitted it's his job to over see these things,anyway good luck in your last 2 games

Some glaring errors in your statement there Graham regarding recruitment

Dont care whats said,whats gone before or how it will end up

nothing what happens weather good or bad

will tarnish or destroy what kevin has done for batley...nothing

the bloke has given his heart,soul,money & time

over the years to give batley some "glory years"

and you have had some good time too

as a Dewsbury fan ive stood over the years and shock my head at what batley have done with the money theyve had...a fantasic job truely fantasic

when we was on the floor there aint many rams fans wished that we could emulate what batley had achived..your a family at batley run by fans for the fans .

your in this position thru just bad luck and stupid mistakes...kevins been honest enough and just stopped short of pouring his heart out...the poor bloke has taken this on his shoulders...cos thats the kinda bloke he comes across as.

would have been easy to come on here and bang on how its not his fault..but no first one with the hand up saying "blame me".. everybodys to blame as your a family,your all one together

silly little stuff as rolled into a massive snowball thats rolled off the cliff.

dont let kevin take all the blame and support and help this bloke cos without him... there wouldnt be a batley now

ive all the time in the world for our chairman love him to bits hes done loads for my club in the same respects kevin has for your club.

these kind of men are not two a penny

dewsbury & batley have the best 2 chairmen in rugby league...its easy at a big club

but they aint at big clubs

There at family clubs

our family each and everyone.

Well its kear that choose the players to sign or not ??

I would guess that Kear signs players who fit under the budget he is provided with - as do all coaches. He is only able to work with what he's given - again, as do all coaches. No doubt he would like to sign Greg Inglis and Billy Slater, but we couldn't afford them.

Judging by this season's squad, his budget must have been relatively small.

workington town lost from last years squad ,carl briscoe , paddy flynn , elliott millar , ewan dowes ,adam walne , jordan walne ,jamie thackary , jamie acton , so theres 8 . we got by with loacal amateurs signing and dual reg/loan deals .missing players isn t the reason for the position your in . its maybe players attitude , coach too long at the club , etc. phil veivers turned our club around .

workington town lost from last years squad ,carl briscoe , paddy flynn , elliott millar , ewan dowes ,adam walne , jordan walne ,jamie thackary , jamie acton , so theres 8 . we got by with loacal amateurs signing and dual reg/loan deals .missing players isn t the reason for the position your in . its maybe players attitude , coach too long at the club , etc. phil veivers turned our club around .

Thanks for your insight - actually players leaving is exactly the reason why we are where we are. Those players were not replaced by 1. players as good and 2. enough players so that, in the instance of long term injuries, there was sufficient cover to allow us to be effective.

To compare the approach of different clubs is futile, what worked for your club would not always work for any other.