Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bamfordsbeans

What can we do to increase attendances?

788 posts in this topic

There is good news around in the game at the moment such as the increased money from Sky-but what really concerns me is the decline in attendances at all levels of the professional game in this country.

Examples from yesterday:

Huddersfield challenging at the top level of the game 5300 v Widnes.

Rochdale v Doncasre 571

and finally Oldham once a hotbed of the game 438.

Hopefully we will get a good crowd at wembley next week but that it is likely to be followed up by poor crowds for the play off games.

Televised games rarely dissapoint us but for example at warrington last Friday there appears to be a lot more spare seats -and the lack of atmosphere does come over.

Everybody wil have their reasons as to the decline but when compared to soccer (not the premiership which is a one off) we seem to be suffering.

What ideas have you got to increase attendances at your club next season?

Reducing the number of clubs in Superleague will do absolutely nothing to increase attendances.

Reducing the number of clubs in Superleague will do absolutely nothing to increase attendances.

i dont think that is necessarily true. 

We need to be selling a quality product, stretching our playing pool thinner can reduce standards. 

There is a balance to be found, but a smaller league with a higher cap and better standards would get more people watching.

I dont think its a coincidence that as complaints regarding the playing standards have gone up, attendances have gone down. By definition the pinnacle of a pyramid is the smallest part. 

Match day marketing is the key for me. There is nothing wrong with the product on the field of play.

Every club should make the people in the town or city play aware that there is a Rugby League club in the town or city for starters. There are people living in Huddersfield and other places who are not aware there is a Rugby League club there.

For starters all clubs should make people aware of when they are playing at home,the day and the KO time. Who they are Playing.  What the admission prices are.

Basic things like these would help.

Stick posts in the ground and announce kick off times......it's worked for London over the last 19 years......

i dont think that is necessarily true. 

We need to be selling a quality product, stretching our playing pool thinner can reduce standards. 

There is a balance to be found, but a smaller league with a higher cap and better standards would get more people watching.

I dont think its a coincidence that as complaints regarding the playing standards have gone up, attendances have gone down. By definition the pinnacle of a pyramid is the smallest part. 

I'm with you entirely on this.

We need to remember that given Rochdale's recent profit small clubs do not have to be pressured to get attendances up. 

I'm sure if they go into the red to the tune of a 100 grand by buying players they cannot afford, will easily put the attendances up for a season or two before bursting the bubble.

The real business end is Superleague and the key to the question posed is how to maximise attendances in that division.

Even then it's not always as simple as numbers, it's about profit. Free tickets would do the trick for instance but we know that's no good,,,,

back to winter

proper scrums when hookers hooked and props propped

proper stadiums with atmosphere

promotion and relegation(natch)

proper teams from proper rugby league areas, none of your made up teams

edit: if people want to shout and chant stuff let them, they've paid their money.

A poster mentioned Jacksonville.  I have spoken with Spinner and other amateur sports team that do well with attendences.  It seems that you can get to 1,000 pretty much on the back of friends, friends of friends, family and friends of family.

Beyond that it gets tricky.

It's funny how the biggest attendances in the season are the ones that are advertised well. I am sure clubs have worked out by now that to increase crowds you need to inform people of what is happening? Maybe not. 

So much can be done, but teams aren't willing to invest in this. 

Do any clubs do market research? Where do there fans come from? What attracted them? What attracts them now? 

Give supporter groups and supporter projects central funding. Create a better atmosphere

Play less games ! 30 matches for next season's SL is waaaaaay too much.

And don't bring in ludicrous new structures, such as what's coming in 2015 !

how about a couple of strippers in the club house before the game?

Somewhere along the line we have forgotten that Rugby League is the sport of the working man.

...and finally Oldham once a hotbed of the game 438.

Well Oldham would have had at least 1 more if they had some covered terracing, as it was I looked out of the window and thought "Nah"........

I think the Championship will have something of a boost next year with the return of the possibility of both promotion and relegation and the inclusion of Bradford in their ranks. It could turn out to be a very competitive league. Regarding SL, this is not the answer, but it would certainly help. I would advocate each Club targetting a game in the same way that Wigan have 'The Big One,' in order to maximise the crowd for that particular match. An extra 3-4000 fans at each ground, even for 1 game would make a difference.

Stop completely teeing off your existing fan base.

Stupid league structures. (Been a season ticket holder at Rovers for 22 of my 40 years and am seriously thinking about not bothering next year!)

Constant moving of fixtures and kick off times.

Sick of people within the game saying how great it is when obviously right now in the UK it is not. We have some serious issues and we seem to be burying our heads in the sand.

That's a few things from me to start it off.

how about a couple of strippers in the club house before the game?

Somewhere along the line we have forgotten that Rugby League is the sport of the working man.

For a couple of years in the pre-Superleague days, a busload of St Helens supporters used to spend a couple of pre-game hours in Wibsey WMC. The club wasn't one of those that had strippers on a Sunday dinnertime so the Saints troop brought their own one with them on the bus.

For a couple of years in the pre-Superleague days, a busload of St Helens supporters used to spend a couple of pre-game hours in Wibsey WMC. The club wasn't one of those that had strippers on a Sunday dinnertime so the Saints troop brought their own one with them on the bus.

real fans. That's what Rugby League was all about when it were proper Rugby League

Not sure degrading women is the way ahead...

It has got to be about marketing ultimately. The product is great (much more consistent than footie), it needs promoting and advertising at all levels, not just SL.

I have spoken to people associated with Enfield FC where Skolars are playing at the moment who have never seen RL but really enjoy it (including the bloke selling burgers) but they would not have watched a game if they weren't employed by ETFC.

Not sure degrading women is the way ahead...

It has got to be about marketing ultimately. The product is great (much more consistent than footie), it needs promoting and advertising at all levels, not just SL.

I have spoken to people associated with Enfield FC where Skolars are playing at the moment who have never seen RL but really enjoy it (including the bloke selling burgers) but they would not have watched a game if they weren't employed by ETFC.

who said out about degrading women?

I'd have a comedian on maybe every other week: a proper comedian.

For what it's worth, the average is just over 8,000 this year in SL. Outside of London, there are too few pro teams in big cities around the country that could, in an ideal world, drag attendances up. Though if Broncos are any indication that might be a good thing. Its difficult to give any concrete answers, as without significant population growth, current SL cities dont have the capacity to drag averages up considerably. Having said that Leeds really should be pulling 20,000 punters at least on average.

who said out about degrading women?

I'd have a comedian on maybe every other week: a proper comedian.

Have you thought of putting your name forward?

A number of factors apply here, chiefly the failure to expand which has contracted both the playing base and the supporter base.

Then you have clubs that voluntarily opt for Friday Night League and in turn become truly a local game for local people, League has difficulty with anyone outside the heartlands having an interest in the game, Notably Gary Hetherington's incredulity at anyone from Plymouth ordering from the Rhinos shop or the Castleford CEO of the time back in the day when Q&A's were something on this board responding to a question from myself about supporters coming from Goole. He was asking me if I knew anyone who wanted to come... Do people seriously think that Manchester United and City get all their fans from Manchester or that either club would opt for Friday Night home games? So why then do Superleague clubs - most of whom are off the beaten path so to speak - deliberately opt to geographically restrict attendees

Then as Rugby League contracts voluntarily you get the tyranny of proximity, where soon the game will have reverted to too many clubs chasing the same fanbase with a small geographical area and of course this affects crowds.

You can learn from Soccer and Cricket that less is more and rather than sacrifice the international game on the altar of the 30 game 8/8/8. have a proper planned season in which every game is an event on which on the majority of occasions you will see a first grade side put out rather than the squad rotation that will be commonplace next season.

The quality of the league has gone down, granted I may be jaundiced by watching the worst team ever to have played a season of superleague yet when I am watching other league games there is no comaprison between the quality of league now and that of the league in the midnoughties. Part of this lies in the lack of realisation that the balance of purchasing powe between the NRL and Super League has permanently changed for the forseeable future with the most popular winter code in the Eastern states commanding its market value in revenue as opposed to a soon to be M62 sport with Southern France appendage, now regarded as a Tier 2 sport by Sport England getting the market value a geographically restricted Tier 2 sport gets.

The answer to the league's lack of star quality has been provided by the Good Doctor in that you have to spend and spend big to attract NRL veterans to play in a vastly inferior league. This of couse opposed by those clubs who already have a lock on the juniors in their local area - Junior development is their mantra - carefully omitting the fact that if you are without a successful Junior structure the only way to build one is through having a successful First Grade side that attracts interest to the club and enables the buliding of a junior development structure.

Self-Interest rules within the game, The game never understands that clubs that are outside the heartlands do need exemptions when it comes to playing and development. To argue that its inherently unfair and not a level playing field for my small town club is to say the non-heartland club should play with one hand tied behind its back and as we have seen that does not work. This I might add is not an arguement for central funding but to realise that clubs outside the "glamour" clubs of Super League which includes the likes of Salford and Huddersfield do need to splash the cash to attract the king of quality player that not only benefit the club going forward but also benefits the league as a whole or are there posters on here who think if Salford signed Jonathan Thurston they would be less likely to attend when the Reds come to town ?

The alternative, carry on the way the game is going and you will achieve John Kear's prophesy of no professional Rugby League in a faster timescale than his 50 years.

My point, punters in whatever sport pay to see the best playing against the best in a meaningiful event. They pay to see stars, players that truly can do exceptional things. They do not pay to see - One sided clobberings, Journeymen players who cannot command a place in the NRL, Games featuring reserve graders on rotation against the lesser clubs, or international fixtures where the last men standing after an exhaustive 30 game season face humiliation from fitter and more skilful players from a superior league.

On the subject of Strippers, Dave Hadfield mentioned the strange goings on at Rickys Bar in Leeds Road, Huddersfield - which is always well populated on International matchdays -seeing this review I now see why

http://www.sugarvine.com/leeds/reviews/review_detail.asp?restaurantid=42977

I thought Ricky's bar was outstanding and i am very proud to say that th service was very good quality I would recommend this to anyone which loves strippers and that kind of stuff. Ricky is a great person to get along with.. so try it out 311 Leeds road Huddersfield opposite the Galapine stadium

Have you thought of putting your name forward?

nah

I'm not a patch on Chubby Brown, but that's the calibre of act I'd be looking at, or Bernard if he wasn't dead. You've got to think big and you've got to think class.

nah

I'm not a patch on Chubby Brown, but that's the calibre of act I'd be looking at, or Bernard if he wasn't dead. You've got to think big and you've got to think class.

Jethro. He'd do a lot for expansion in the south west