Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Daddy

World Club Series 2015 (merged threads)

141 posts in this topic

Don't really see the point in this, are Brisbane and Souths even in the top3 of the NRL? It should just be the winners of both competitions playing each other IMO. Also is Russell Crowe still the owner of Souths?

Crowe is still co-owner.

Looking like a South Sydney vs. Sydney final.

Brisbane may not make the 8.

Not entirely sure why it wouldn't be the top teams, whoe'er they may be.

In fact, the idea of an expanded world club challenge is so simple and engaging that I can't see why it's taken this long.

(i) Top four from each comp

(ii) first rounds in UK

(iii) second rounds on neutral "expansionist" territory such as Hong Kong or Singapore

(iv) third rounds and final in Australia.

Bingo!!

4 weekends for the WCC?!  What?  You'd have to take 4 weeks off the NRL and SL in that case.

its all a con....

its already been decided by wigan & leeds that wigan & leeds will be 2 of the english clubs to take part regardless of where they finish in the league...

and its likely that the 2nd & 3rd ranked teams aren't even going to be the 2nd & 3rd ranked teams in either the NRL or ESL...

its not inconceivable that castleford end the season as one of the top 3 teams in the country...you reckon they are gonna be allowed to play in this WCC? are they buggery!!

i would'nt be surprised if they rank the ESL  top 3 using average attendances!

a expanded WCC should be

wk1 NRL winners v ESL runners up & ESL winners v NRL runners up

wk 2 final.................simple 

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

In true rugby league fashion I'll give this championship 2 years before it's dumped.

If it doesn't involve the top 3 highest finishing teams then they are just glorified friendlies

Needs to be top 3 (or play off winner, leagee leaders and second and 3rd if req). This could be developed as a bit of a money spinning reward for a good season (IE champions league in football) however it looses all value when you cherry pick your 'elite' clubs.

Needs to be top 3 (or play off winner, leagee leaders and second and 3rd if req). This could be developed as a bit of a money

spinning reward for a good season (IE champions league in football) however it looses all value when you cherry pick your 'elite' clubs.

That's how it should be run. It would place more emphasis on league positions as first and second would qualify automatically and would also create a scramble for you third as they would qualify if first or second won the grand final

Great idea. The article does say it will eventually be the top 3 NRL teams involved. Bedding down the format and concept with the "biggest" NRL clubs first gets the attention of birth the Aussie media and fans from the start.

They'll use CC winners as one spot to make sure Leeds are included!!

Even if it is glorified friendlies, they'll be pretty good!!!

Great idea. The article does say it will eventually be the top 3 NRL teams involved. Bedding down the format and concept with the "biggest" NRL clubs first gets the attention of birth the Aussie media and fans from the start.

but this expanded version is only going to be played when we host the WCC...the aussies are just gonna host a regular 1 game WCC

The fact that its Souths and Brisbane being mentioned suggests to me their two of only a handful of NRL clubs who would even want to play International clubs games, so i'm glad its them. At least they'll do their bit.

If/when a comp like this shows signs of making any money then we'll see al the NRL clubs moaning about not being involved. Essentially its going to be the WCC as we know it, 1st v 1st and two other games involving NRL and SL opposition, but under the banner of a WCC. Three games involving NRL teams against SL teams sounds good to me. Hope they do something special like a double header for the first two games, and maybe even something crazy like playing them on a Saturday night at the Olympic stadium, Stratford!

The only completely ridiculous part is the one game being played when the Aussies host it.

At least the NRL are acknowledging Super League. We need to raise the standard.

The only completely ridiculous part is the one game being played when the Aussies host it.

I'm slightly surprised it's not the other way round - you'd think the NRL clubs would be far more interested in playing at home. Presumably the logistics of taking 3 SL clubs out when the season is already underway and the knock on effect on fixtures means it's only practical to take the one team down under.   

The fact that its Souths and Brisbane being mentioned suggests to me their two of only a handful of NRL clubs who would even want to play International clubs games, so i'm glad its them. At least they'll do their bit.

its souths & brisbane because they are the biggest 2 clubs in the NRL in term of "memberships"...27k & 22k members...

just like leeds & wigan are ours

anyone got any spare tinfoil?

but this expanded version is only going to be played when we host the WCC...the aussies are just gonna host a regular 1 game WCC

they have to start at the beginning. It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the next decade.

It has to be 1, 2, 3 versus 1, 2, 3 or it dilutes what is an already contrived set-up for these games. Have Castleford turned up as party poopers to plans that were already set?

If they get in the top 2 then they deserve their game in the series.

they have to start at the beginning. It will be interesting to see how this pans out over the next decade.

or they could do what any normal sport would would do and play 1v2 & 2v1 then a final

and the reason 2v2 & 3v3 are'nt playing when its in australia is cos it's contrived bull$*** and the aussie fans won't put up with it

or they could do what any normal sport would would do and play 1v2 & 2v1 then a final

and the reason 2v2 & 3v3 are'nt playing when its in australia is cos it's contrived bull$*** and the aussie fans won't put up with it

Whilst I don't particularly like the proposal, there are clear problems with your proposal bearing in mind where we are with this kind of comp.

Firstly, yours would take up two weekends, which aren't available at the moment.

Secondly, if we just end up with an all-Aussie final then this will be scrapped pretty quickly.

As things stand, if this is to prove that the concept of some of our teams facing some of their teams is a good one, then I can live with it for a couple of years, although I do agree it should be 1v1, 2v2, 3v3.

Personally I'd go for a Magic Weekend style event with all three games in one ground. I'd certainly be interested in watching all three games.

its an opportunity to prove it works to those within the Aussie game who dont think it will. There are those in the NRL/ARL who think an expanded WCC would be the same as the 97 version, one sided and played in front of small crowds.

This an attempt by those who are pushing it to prove it will work. 

So they pick well established, well supported teams to prove it can work. 

Closely fought matches in front of 20k at Headingley and the DW against two of the biggest draws down under will showcase that potential not only in terms of attendance but also TV viewership.

Penrith putting 40 points on a Cas side whose best players have been sold in front of 7k at Wheldon Road simply wont. 

If you want a true expanded WCC. Attend and show your support.