Sign in to follow this  
Lokolad

Clues on Yorkshire Mens League set up 2015?

My argument is based on facts as someone who organises fixtures .

RU participation is up and ours is down facts from SE .

Not in a number of Yorkshire clubs. Over the last 10 years there have been marked declines in a number of union clubs which used to have several open age teams, now struggling to field more than one or two

Not in a number of Yorkshire clubs. Over the last 10 years there have been marked declines in a number of union clubs which used to have several open age teams, now struggling to field more than one or two

You are correct, in my area RU teams are running less teams but overall the figures are slightly up, I have said I seriously worry after the RU World Cup and the legacy it leaves, if it is the same as the RL World Cup it won't affect our game but I think it will have an effect, I saw some figures for RU in the NW and it had the biggest increase in % participation in RU

We have seen a dramatic decrease in participation in the 13 a side game fact! I was talking to a professional coach last week and even he disagrees with the figures saying it is all touch and wheelchair (his words not mine) the rugby league would be better concentrating on the heartlands, we have invested £0000's out in other areas and what do we have to show for it, a few fixtures during the RU off season

Edited by Defender1

This is true, but since the rise of winter clubs going towards summer the decline has stabilized and started moving the other way and this is also being seen in aged group rugby as well.

The growth of the NCL seems to have also coincided with the decline in pub teams in the same areas, in Union the chance to pay players also coincided with union clubs folding and losing players to the clubs who could afford to pay the most, in both cases the better players went to the bigger clubs leaving the smaller clubs short of numbers, at the moment isn't the RFL policies in the amateur game doing something very similar especially in the juniors.