Sign in to follow this  
Blue Pike

Learn from the three mistakes

Don't get me wrong we all make mistakes but some are bigger than others.Our club has made three howlers this season which need to never happen again Number 1 the re turfing of the pitch.Obviously this needed to be done earlier and I know that Fev could have played their home games at certain clubs to re turf early but didn't.for what ever reasons it wasn't re turfed early enough which has resulted in massive finance losses from revenue lost to all the lost home friendlies.Number 2 Knowing the situation about the length of time it takes to get visas for overseas players why do we sign the Aussies too late which causes longer time for the Aussies to gel into the workings of the new team.Number 3 why organise a New Years eve party in the club house and advertise it the day before when everyone except the homeless have obviously made their arrangements.this obviously results in loss revenue due to one man a tramp and his dog turning up.ive just recently watched a film called Dumb and Dumber surely if we contacted them they couldn't do a worse job.

Don't get me wrong we all make mistakes but some are bigger than others.Our club has made three howlers this season which need to never happen again Number 1 the re turfing of the pitch.Obviously this needed to be done earlier and I know that Fev could have played their home games at certain clubs to re turf early but didn't.for what ever reasons it wasn't re turfed early enough which has resulted in massive finance losses from revenue lost to all the lost home friendlies.Number 2 Knowing the situation about the length of time it takes to get visas for overseas players why do we sign the Aussies too late which causes longer time for the Aussies to gel into the workings of the new team.Number 3 why organise a New Years eve party in the club house and advertise it the day before when everyone except the homeless have obviously made their arrangements.this obviously results in loss revenue due to one man a tramp and his dog turning up.ive just recently watched a film called Dumb and Dumber surely if we contacted them they couldn't do a worse job.

Disagree with you on your first two observations, but agree on the last one

I am not disputing the last 2 points but I question the accuracy of the first. You cannot seriously expect Rovers to give up home advantage last season when it was important we finished in the top 2.Or should we have given up home advantage for the play-off games? As soon as the last game was played the fence was removed and a levelling off and drainage was done (by the stand volunteers). When they were ready to lay the turf very heavy rain hampered this (and the 20+ people who helped will testify to this).As far as I know the majority 0f the soil as knitted but there are problems with the drainage and the subsoil. As for the lost revenue it will cause cash-flow problems but hopefully the friendlies will be reversed next season. Maybe the club need to ask for volunteers to help with the pitch very soon.

I have nothing but respect for the volunteers in fact they go against the old Yorkshire saying "Never do owt for nowt son but if tha does owt for nowt Mek sure its for thi Sen" you do what you are told to do from the powers above all I am saying is it is FACT the re turfing needed to be done earlier that's why we are in this loss of much needed revenue situation.All you volunteers are fantastic.

Blue Pike FACT you have not said when earlier.FACT Work started the day after the last game of the season and this work consisted of more than just removing the old grass so again when should this have been started please 

whilst I admire everything that those amazing volunteers have done maybe this job was for professional contractors. I don't believe the issues are simply down to rain.

I'm no turf expert but at a guess I would say before the last two home games.I work as an engineer at a certain glass bottle works in Knottingley and if I cost the company loss of money due to my mistake I get a verbal warning then a written warning then a final written warning then the sack. Due to the genuine loss of revenue we haven't had a poultry apology from the powers above to this . I have bought 3 Fev shirts and other stuff in the club shop to include helping the club out but this is insignificant against the appalling lack of management that has caused massive financial losses due to the re turfing disaster.Say what you want. I am not commenting further.

Sorry but the first two comments are miles wide of the mark in my opinion. If the club had announced they were going to start returfing the pitch before last season had finished and played the last few home games away (say the two home play-off games plus the League game against Sheffield, which as it happened we lost but which could have had a £250k implication for the club) I guarantee you there would have been uproar amongst the fans, and rightly so. It's easy to say "obviously this needed to be done earlier" - well there seem to be a lot of self-appointed expert turfologists in the Featherstone area all of a sudden but I'd trust our groundsman and people who visit the ground every day myself, and it was almost certainly the correct percentage decision to act as they have, there was always a chance with a bad winter that there would be a delay to the pitch being ready but I struggle to see what else the club could have done in the circumstances. And the point about financial revenue - do you think there is anyone more acutely aware about that than our Chairman?

As for the Aussie visas - Irwin arrived in plenty of time, Verlinden's is a bit of a one-off situation complicated by the fact it's an Irish passport, and the other two later signings were almost certainly dependent on two factors: firstly us not knowing until mid-September how much money we'd have to play with this year, and secondly the likelihood that perhaps for different reasons both players became available only quite late on (both were playing NRL first grade in September!). Given we probably weren't in a position to make too many high-profile signings until we knew we had secured 2nd place last season, I think our chairman has done a fair job in swooping on an assortment of decent-quality players late in the day.

Fev probably saved money by not playing any home freindlies. By the time you take in to account wages, opposition costs and stewarding etc there really isnt a lot to go around.

isn't hindsight a wonderful thing

Fev probably saved money by not playing any home freindlies. By the time you take in to account wages, opposition costs and stewarding etc there really isnt a lot to go around.

Not according to our CEO

http://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/news/local-news/pitch-delays-costing-featherstone-rovers-heavily-1-7081265

That's clever

;)

Are you accusing the club of chickening out?

don't egg him on Mark

Sorry but the first two comments are miles wide of the mark in my opinion. If the club had announced they were going to start returfing the pitch before last season had finished and played the last few home games away (say the two home play-off games plus the League game against Sheffield, which as it happened we lost but which could have had a £250k implication for the club) I guarantee you there would have been uproar amongst the fans, and rightly so. It's easy to say "obviously this needed to be done earlier" - well there seem to be a lot of self-appointed expert turfologists in the Featherstone area all of a sudden but I'd trust our groundsman and people who visit the ground every day myself, and it was almost certainly the correct percentage decision to act as they have, there was always a chance with a bad winter that there would be a delay to the pitch being ready but I struggle to see what else the club could have done in the circumstances. And the point about financial revenue - do you think there is anyone more acutely aware about that than our Chairman?

As for the Aussie visas - Irwin arrived in plenty of time, Verlinden's is a bit of a one-off situation complicated by the fact it's an Irish passport, and the other two later signings were almost certainly dependent on two factors: firstly us not knowing until mid-September how much money we'd have to play with this year, and secondly the likelihood that perhaps for different reasons both players became available only quite late on (both were playing NRL first grade in September!). Given we probably weren't in a position to make too many high-profile signings until we knew we had secured 2nd place last season, I think our chairman has done a fair job in swooping on an assortment of decent-quality players late in the day.

. listen if you think we haven't lost money and haven't been inconvenienced by the late arrivals just sit back smoke a fag and carry on taking the delusionary drugs

sorry i disagree with you, look into these a little closer and you will see these are the best options and the best we could do, however a little disruptive. But we have to go via these options to move on , i find these postings unhelpful and negative , and i find the hard work by all concerned excellent in effort. And to all concerned keep up the good work, ps i am sure if you can do better come forward i am sure rovers would be grateful for your efforts, i don't see mistakes just big efforts to move the club forward

. listen if you think we haven't lost money and haven't been inconvenienced by the late arrivals just sit back smoke a fag and carry on taking the delusionary drugs

Sure we've lost money. Sure the late arrivals are an inconvenience. You've failed to come up with what you would have done differently (other than to say you would have played the last 2 home games of last season away, which would have outraged most Fev fans and conceivably cost us a stack more money had we lost those games and failed to reach the Grand Final).

I don't think the club has got everything right in the last 12 months by a long chalk, and I'll bet nobody at the club would deny that, but some of the second guessing that goes on is astonishing.

Still, there will doubtless be some more fans' forums this year, so I expect there will be long queues of aggrieved fans queuing up to give Mark Campbell the grilling of his life. Or maybe not.

sorry i disagree with you, look into these a little closer and you will see these are the best options and the best we could do, however a little disruptive. But we have to go via these options to move on , i find these postings unhelpful and negative , and i find the hard work by all concerned excellent in effort. And to all concerned keep up the good work, ps i am sure if you can do better come forward i am sure rovers would be grateful for your efforts, i don't see mistakes just big efforts to move the club forward

listen if you're happy with how things have turned out I'm happy for you .its all about opinions after all but I feel that apathy and being happy with how things are and not rocking the boat and being in your own safe world is why we don't move forward as a club to where we should be .we continually shoot ourselves in the foot at important times but let's all keep smiling .

We don't move forward???

. Meaning ground not ready for possibly our first 5 home games when everybody else apart from York are and benefitting financially with it and also having possibly our star players not integrated into the first team and taking time to gel.i would say that these examples prove we are not moving FORWARD in fact we are more like a one legged man in an ###### kicking contest for the start of the season

We have significantly upgraded our ground for next to nowt

we have extended the pitch

we have state of the art facilities

we are enhancing an already good squad with good aussies

the turnover has improved beyond all comparison in all depts

weve won 4 leagues titles and a second in the last 5 years

I dont share your negative view......