Promotion and relegation or something completely different ?

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Job done john

... and what could possibly go wrong now?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

... and what could possibly go wrong now?

Nothing I'd guess as it'll all be on topic.

It was Martyn Sadler who started the debate a year ago. I have the RL & LE press cutting where he was scathing about the new system of promotion and relegation.

It was a major article about a major event and many of us followed the relegation bit avidly over the year.

Now for the promotion bit. 

I suppose it's about "interests" some grown ups go in the Attic and run their toy train set around and around. It's a nice break from the real world. This is all a bit like going down the pub and talking the same rubbish around in circles.

It's what people do, and now we can do it on our own thread.

It was Martyn Sadler who started the debate a year ago. I have the RL & LE press cutting where he was scathing about the new system of promotion and relegation.

It was a major article about a major event and many of us followed the relegation bit avidly over the year.

I suppose it's about "interests" some grown ups go in the Attic and run their toy train set around and around. It's a nice break from the real world. This is all a bit like going down the pub and talking the same rubbish around in circles.

There have been many other threads dedicated to this very subject over the past year. That isn't the problem, although it is a long time since anyone said anything remotely new in any of them. The problem is when the same group of people drag threads which are not about this subject onto the same repetitive topic, over and over and over again. Then it gets really tiresome.

lol @ John's post in the other thread

It never ceases to amaze me how, if left long enough (sometimes not even that long at all) any thread on any subject on here seems to end up in a repetitive, never-ending discussion about promotion and relegation......Don't worry, fans of never-ending discussions about promotion and relegation, I'm certain there'll be another one developing soon enough in a thread that begins by having nothing whatsoever to do with the subject.

Let it roll, it is the most emotive subject on these pages, and has a different meaning to different individuals, John is correct it has hijacked to many other threads, but as they say all roads lead to Rome.

Roll on this season, will be the most exciting in years, and whoever for I hope at the end of it we get a promotion, if only to prove it a success, albeit I hope its Leigh.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

This time maybe we could  wait and see what happens with the new "structure". This is on topic as the text mentions relegation. Lets just hope the new era lasts more than one season, so that even if you don't agree with it, there is some sort of evidence of it working or not working, so there is no more argument. ( :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo: )

How will the new competitions work for Super League and the Championship?

The 12 Super League clubs play each other twice, home and away, during the regular season (22 fixtures) plus one fixture at Magic Weekend. The 12 Championship clubs will also play 23 matches, home and away plus one fixture at the Summer Bash. After playing 23 fixtures, the 24 Super League and Championship clubs will split into three groups – theSuper 8s – based on league positions. The top eight will continue as Super League, the middle eight will be the Qualifiers and the third eight will be the Championship Shield.

How will the Super 8s work?

Clubs will each play seven fixtures on a league basis. Clubs which have performed strongest in their respective competitions in the regular season will be rewarded with four fixtures as follows: the top four Super League clubs will play four home matches; in the Qualifiers, the team finishing ninth and 10th in Super League and the top two teams from the Championship will have four home matches; and in the Championship Shield, clubs finishing the regular Championship season in 5th to 8th place will have four home fixtures.

What happens after clubs have played seven matches in the Super 8s?

The top four clubs in Super League will go into the play-offs: 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd. The winners of those two matches will contest the Super League Grand Final. All eight Super League clubs are guaranteed top flight status for the following season. In the Qualifiers, the top three clubs at the conclusion of the Super 8s are also guaranteed Super League status the following season. The 12th place in Super League for the following season will be determined by the Million Pound Game, a play-off between the 4th and 5th placed clubs played at the home of the 4th placed club. In the Championship Shield, the top four clubs enter a play-off, 1st v 4th and 2nd v 3rd, with the winners contesting the Championship Shield final. The bottom two teams (7th and 8th) in the Championship Shield will be relegated to League 1.

seehttp://www.rugbyleaguechampionships.co.uk/rlnewera

So basically we have a new, untested structure for P&R with no historic precedent? 

Regardless I can with some high degree of confidence predict the top clubs will get 20,000 gates, selling 40,000 sponge fingers.

Leeds will be in the top 8. If not, there should be a dispensation because no other club has a mascot that can abseil down a full stand.

London should be given a free pass to the top 8 because London is a big place full of RL fans. They just don't know it. A bit like a Zombie not knowing they like the taste of flesh.

So should Les Cats.

So should Toulouse because a Frenchman's word is his bond.

Sorry - and so should Manchester Red Devils and the Liverpool Saints.

....nearly forgot Bradford as well because that's a travesty. They can get 20,000 gates.

Wigan should also be in the top 8 because it's WIgan and because I saw Andy Gregory at the Haydock Thistle last week and I like him.

The Featherlite Wild-Tigers should also be in the top 8 playing out of a new stadium. No prize for guessing who they'll be sponsored by.

I've just realised I need to expand SL to cope. Wow, why couldn't the RFL come up with this plan? Idiots.

Now we've expanded the top 8 we have room for 1 club and that has to be from Hull. But they have to merge - The Dead Shot Kingston Fishermen. Guaranteed 20,000 gates, 200,000 sponge fish fingers.

Once SL is down to it's top 10 Super Clubs the masterplan is achieved.......Oops, forgot about Warrington and Widnes. No chance getting 20,000 fans but together? Wow. The Cheshire Cats-   like it. 

So we have 11 clubs, no we can't have 11, we'll have invent a club in........Cardiff and then Barcelona!.....crikey I'm having an embolism and I haven't even considered a merged team based in Barrow called the Cumberland Sausages. I'm a genius!

I just need to come up with a plan for those crappy leeches based in the championship. Wasters. Over 100 years and they add absolutely zip.

Who needs P&R, sod 'em.

I'm looking forward to the new structure and a lot of Championship team fans that I've spoken to about it are. Is it mainly the Super League fans and fans of Championships sides that deep down don't believe they'll ever make SL that don't like it?

As a fan of a Championship side that is one of a few that is being touted at a shot at SL I don't like it at all - the odds are stacked against the Championship sides. However I suppose fans of clubs who have been in the Championship slightly longer may have a brighter outlook than me as something is better than the nothing of the past few years.

I'm willing to give it a go, but I suspect this bright outlook won't last too long. Hope I'm wrong of course but personally I think it's a pretty ham fisted system.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Now I looked a bit farther ahead into the changes. Most fans agree we need a London club or two, at least one more French club and ideally two/three and a pathway for ambitious clubs from whatever area to target - but is an Aussie inspired 20 team league with 28 fixtures and play offs the way to go and the move from PT to competitive FT in SL is too big a gap

So we have a model that builds FT clubs, we should have 16 now but Fev had some issues but we will have 16 next season, throw in a Toulouse and thats 17 and with a fair wind and a bit of investment and the 20 could be on the table in 3/4 years

Hey presto 2 divisions of 10 FT clubs playing 28 games plus play offs with p&r and a 3 year licence in a European league structure

So basically we have a new, untested structure for P&R with no historic precedent? 

Regardless I can with some high degree of confidence predict the top clubs will get 20,000 gates, selling 40,000 sponge fingers.

Leeds will be in the top 8. If not, there should be a dispensation because no other club has a mascot that can abseil down a full stand.

London should be given a free pass to the top 8 because London is a big place full of RL fans. They just don't know it. A bit like a Zombie not knowing they like the taste of flesh.

So should Les Cats.

....nearly forgot Bradford as well because that's a travesty. They can get 20,000 gates.

Wigan should also be in the top 8 because it's WIgan and because I saw Andy Gregory at the Haydock Thistle last week and I like him.

The Featherlite Wild-Tigers should also be in the top 8 playing out of a new stadium. No prize for guessing who they'll be sponsored by.

I've just realised I need to expand SL to cope. Wow, why couldn't the RFL come up with this plan? Idiots.

Now we've expanded the top 8 we have room for 1 club and that has to be from Hull. But they have to merge - The Dead Shot Kingston Fishermen. Guaranteed 20,000 gates, 200,000 sponge fish fingers.

Once SL is down to it's top 10 Super Clubs the masterplan is achieved.......Oops, forgot about Warrington and Widnes. No chance getting 20,000 fans but together? Wow. The Cheshire Cats-   like it. 

So we have 11 clubs, no we can't have 11, we'll have invent a club in........Cardiff and then Barcelona!.....crikey I'm having an embolism and I haven't even considered a merged team based in Barrow called the Cumberland Sausages. I'm a genius!

I just need to come up with a plan for those crappy leeches based in the championship. Wasters. Over 100 years and they add absolutely zip.

Who needs P&R, sod 'em.

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for that Ackroman, you've turned a good day into a much better one for me.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

So should Les Cats.

Once SL is down to it's top 10 Super Clubs the masterplan is achieved.......Oops, forgot about Warrington and Widnes. No chance getting 20,000 fans but together? Wow. The Cheshire Cats- like it.

Who needs P&R, sod 'em.

That settles that then! Brilliant post! Can't wait to buy my sponge fish finger!
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

crikey I'm having an embolism and I haven't even considered a merged team based in Barrow called the Cumberland Sausages. I'm a genius!

Hey, those Lancastrians wouildnt know a good Cumberland sausage if it slapped them in the face....

This is brilliant.....

Six replies on the trot none of which are "On topic"

Start a "silly thread" of your own and don't hijack this one.

Craiq was talking thank you.

My first post was a genuine attempt to demonstrate P&R is a waste of time. I'm just showing common courtesy in replying to those not on my wavelength.

Judging by ticket sales, it looks like Salford might be taking over 1000 fans to the Halliwell-Jones on Saturday. It's the Marwan effect. It remains to be seen whether most of the new signings play, because some of them haven't managed to make any of the pre-season friendlies because of injury. I think the difference this season is that there's plenty of cover in the squad so that leaving these players out wouldn't be quite the disaster it would have been in previous years. Of course, Salford could get relegated**, but it'll be interesting to see how the season pans out. There's a real buzz about the place at the moment.

(** Kept on topic Parksider stylee by mentioning that topic in a post that is otherwise irrelevant to it.)

Archived