If the Premier League is worth £5.1 Billion, how much is Super League worth?

By my reckoning that makes the contract 64x more valuable than SL.Do the viewing figures and actual attendances reflect this?

Another example -2 hours of soccer= a full season of SL.

Sky base the value on attracting or keeping the customer contracts. It is football that makes people buy Sky Sports or stick with it irrespective of what other sports  viewing figures. That is their research and customer knowledge is that they will lose huge numbers of customers to the rival that has the football.

Sad maybe but irrespective of viewing figures its the football that sells the customer contracts.

Given that TV viewing figures are bandied about on here - Please note how just 4,000 Households are used out of a UK population of 65 million to determine viewing figures 

http://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-2697,00.html

You can even debate it

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1244870

And note it does not include Pubs & Clubs.

Not sure that everyone buys SKY for Soccer, for sure its the main driver but it's also the package. I get Cricket, Rugby League, American Footbvall and International and European Rugby Union on SKY as well as the Movies.

BT Sport by contrast would have only Aviva Premiership Rugby Union so why should I have a BT Subscription.

What BT are trying to do as with ITV Digital, Setanta and ESPN before them is to garner a package of sports together to convince someone like myself to subscribe to their channels. 

In this sense you can debate the pros and cons of signing a long term deal with SKY which has a depreciating value instead of calling SKY's bluff and waiting to see what the market value of the sport balanced against the fact that the SKY platform has by far the bigger subscription base at this moment in time.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Sky base the value on attracting or keeping the customer contracts. It is football that makes people buy Sky Sports or stick with it irrespective of what other sports  viewing figures. That is their research and customer knowledge is that they will lose huge numbers of customers to the rival that has the football.

Sad maybe but irrespective of viewing figures its the football that sells the customer contracts.

...and it is the increasing prices paid for Premiership Football that drives up the subscription fees.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Selling a sport is like selling a house. What you think and your estate agent thinks its worth are not its value. What its value is what someone is willing to pay for it, and that is all it is worth.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

That's dwarfed by the NFL deal though. It's pretty small time really ;)

But NFL international rights are worth peanuts (relatively speaking) whereas the PL's are valued in billions (and growing at a fast rate).

Factor in that there are 20 EPL teams and 32 in the NFL and it makes the soccer boys look like quite a big dwarf.

If my Sky Sports sub gets jacked up again next year then its bye-bye. 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

This could spell bye-bye for some RL fans.

B9gYU9ZIUAElGuN.jpg

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What's the current SKY RL deal worth?

When I see how much is on offer as prize money for winning SL, or sponsorship figures for our competitions, or even stuff like the "million pound match" it really puts us in our place.

No point getting worried about it. Man United turnover last year was £433 Million. I reckon that's at least 5 times greater than all of the Superleague, Championship, League 1 and RFL all together. Different Sport, different planet. There's no accounting for taste.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Mine too

I'll pick my games to view in a pub

The same conclusion we came to, it'll be cheaper.

The same conclusion we came to, it'll be cheaper.

Given the projected broadcast schedule for Premiership Football, finding a pub that shows Rugby League may become much harder.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is there a name for 'quite a big dwarf'?

Anthony Worrall-Thompson.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Given the projected broadcast schedule for Premiership Football, finding a pub that shows Rugby League may become much harder.

not near me.

not near me.

Elsewhere, outside the heartlands for instance, it may become next to impossible unless the pub has two feeds in separate areas.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

While Premier League football dominates sports ratings on Sky, it has more to do with the subscribers. There was speculation that a something like a million customers would leave Sky if they lost the 4pm Sunday slot to BT. 

That's what competition does. It forces you to pay more than you'd like for something. If it were up to Sky, they would pay £1 for every sports property. 

When the RFL stitched up a TV deal for the next 7 years, when all but 1 SL chairmen voted for it; many on here and other forums argued it was a great outcome, BT sport wouldn't last, it was a great deal etc. Well now we see how bad a deal it was! BT were not even asked to bid, Sky were gifted a 7 year deal for about £100m which equates to less than 10 PL games. Think about it, the whole of RL in UK, for next 7 years sold for same price as 10 PL matches!

When the RFL stitched up a TV deal for the next 7 years, when all but 1 SL chairmen voted for it; many on here and other forums argued it was a great outcome, BT sport wouldn't last, it was a great deal etc. Well now we see how bad a deal it was! BT were not even asked to bid, Sky were gifted a 7 year deal for about £100m which equates to less than 10 PL games. Think about it, the whole of RL in UK, for next 7 years sold for same price as 10 PL matches!

Have I missed something? The length of the deal was 5 years, was it not? 

they announced the next 5 year deal with 2 years left on the old one...so 7 years

on BT...i can see them making a move for the NRL rights next time they come up as it will give them alot of "AM" live content at the weekends....plus they've lost the saturday dinner time rights,they have the 5:15pm saturday game now,so need something else to fill that mid morning slot

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

But the new deal was an improvement on the previous, so why count it in the same figure?

I used 7 years as when the deal was struck, it was 7 years more with Sky. In comparison the new PL deal starts in 2016, same year the one the RL signed last year.

I suppose I was asking, when you have 2 years left to run on a contract, why the rush into signing another 5 on top without asking if there was anything better?

PL has got a 80% increase by pitching BT against Sky, RFL seemed orgasmic about a 5% increase over nearly double the length of contract.

Archived