Sign in to follow this  
Supertyke

Batley 2 Halifax 6

Horrible day for flowing rugby but a credit to both sides for trying line plays.

Never looked like winning with both defences giving it their all.

Ref atrocious anf penalty count could be intetesting.

Missed ainscough but keegans return added a presence in the middle

Just got in from the game.

Not the best refereeing performance but I'm loath to criticize the officials.

What im really suprised at is our inept attacking performance with all the possession we had in both halves.

It seems our halfbacks think the only way we will score is from a high kick and to be fair to halifax they defended very very well.....but then so did we except for the lack of concentration 5 mins from halftime......but we really dont seem to have a clue when we get onto the opposition's 20.....but well done halifax who played the slope well.

I think we tried kicking over the top to Rettie's corner way too much. The wing I would've been feeding would've been Squires and JC.

Why was Ainscough missing (nothing against Faal, he did nothing wrong)?

The penalty count was 10-2 early in the second half and that's when I stopped counting. 13 sounds a little low to me. They got the best out of the ref without even trying.

Just the usual close hard slog agains Fax. Not a non entertaining game. I think we should do well V Sheffield.

Got to give credit to Faxs second half performance they tackled well and we never looked like scoring

First half, well we had 4/5 good chances to build what prob would have been a winning lead

But we didn't take them so no complaints on the result

The habitual problem of lacking a bit of creativity in the final 3rd in tight games as we had an awful lot of ball.

Defensively we were fine apart from that lapse.

I think we are exactly where I thought we might be after the first 3 games.

In light of JC being pulled back / impeded / bundled into touch 2 or 3 times in the first half when he didn't have the ball, why was Reittie penalised on his way to the winning 6 points late in the second half?

John kear just been interviewed on radio leeds.

Craven out for a few weeks with knee injury.

Ainscough ill before game but ok for next game.

He didn't sound too pleased with the referee's interpretation of certain aspects or the penalty count against us and was disappointed we created nothing in second half down the slope.

not to be too biasted but ref today gave us nothing as kear said he will watch the match first. then call ian smith for explianations of what we need to improve on or what the man in the middle as to answer for.

Thought we tried kicks in the first half when through the hands would have brought trys, must just say before blue ox tells me I thought the winger saltansal was terrific cleaned up every thing at the back an all round good game

How did forewards go?

Forwards went well. The whole team played well. Just struggled coming up with a way over the try line. Two strong defences in bad conditions.

Our attack was very poor in the second half, but it's got to be said that the conditions were terrible and really slowed play down.

I don't think either side managed to create a single overlap today - impossible when it takes half an hour to get the ball out wide from the ruck area.

Two very equally matched teams, I'd say. Best for us was Chandler, and Richard Moore was terrific for Halifax.

Agree with all of these. We were excellent first half and it should have been over by then. The try they scored was a poor one to concede, as we had control of the ball, and their guy ran through our defence without a hand laid on him.

Second half they were excellent, and played the slope brilliantly, without really looking like scoring. We lacked creativity, and seemed to kick to the wrong side, had Southernwood and Leatherbarrow forgotten the Workington game? 

Defence, other than the try was outstanding though! Not too downhearted, but frustrated that we could so easily have been three wins from three. 

Oh and decent turn out on what was an utterly miserable afternoon, weatherwise!

Tough game in tough conditions but once again shows we should not fear anyone in the league. Abysmal ref and the ball steel out of Keegan's hands cost us the game imo. A draw would have been a fair result, but we'll have our two points back at there place

Today was a game where the result could have gone either way at any stage. Two very evenly matched sides.

The most pleasing aspect in my opinion was that all 34 players gave 100% effort in terrible conditions, Well done Batley and Halifax.

Onwards and upwards,, and thank goodness for summer rugby... ;)

Horrible day for flowing rugby but a credit to both sides for trying line plays.

Never looked like winning with both defences giving it their all.

Ref atrocious anf penalty count could be intetesting.

Missed ainscough but keegans return added a presence in the middle

To be fair, faal did a good job today, tackled well and took his chance

Forwards went well. The whole team played well. Just struggled coming up with a way over the try line. Two strong defences in bad conditions.

To be fair, conditions wasn't as bad as it was at hunslet, and we weatherd the storm in 1st half which by far we was the better team, 2nd half the conditions was better but too much 1 man rugby,imo

He does have a tendency to run at the man rather than the space.

I think he's tried to be too clever and go under the sticks.

He's not going to get caught from here.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-02%20at%2013.25.

Another two or three paces and if he had then dived he would have slid over the line. Instead he tried to come back inside and, like numerous others of our players yesterday found, when you did that you lost grip and slipped.

With the amount of possession (would like to see the stats on that) and the amount of time we spent in the Fax half of the field it was criminal that we only had 1 penalty goal to show for it. We have got to start working on other tactics besides the 5 drives and a kick. Truly believe that if we had scored in the second half we would have won reasonably comfortably.