Relegation

There is no doubt in my mind Saints would be a better squad with Gaskell in it.

Speaking from a Saints fan's point of view, we've a better squad with out him.

I'd much rather they invest their money in other young players such as Richards, Greenwood, Thompson, Percival & Savelio. And in the halves i'd also rather they take time to develop Hewitt & Charnock who have stepped up to the 1st team squad than on someone like Gaskell

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While at Saints, time & again Gaskell was taking on the line and either getting smashed & losing the ball or panicking and throwing out wild passes. He had neither the composure or physical strength to hold onto the stand off shirt he was given a chance at. It wouldn't matter which SL team he played for he would still be getting smashed and throwing poor passes.

Last year at the Bulls from the games I saw he was a complete turnstile in defence and couldn't catch a cold let alone a high bomb.

Gaskell had chances at SL level and failed to deliver time & again.

As I said previously some time in the Championship may help him develop his game and he may be ready to step back up to SL in the future. But the Gaskell playing now is certainly not SL standard.

Gaskell was excellent at Bradford last year, particularly so, considering he is a half back and we only ever had half a pack after the early season 'shenanigins'. He was well up on the list of players most fans hoped we would be able to keep and I, for one, am delighted we could both afford his services and convince him to stay.

For what it's worth, the relegation was never the fault of those who stayed - far from it, most of them were definitely SL standard but the lack of big props [or any real props save Manuokafoa] meant the squad mix was hopelessly out of kilter. Sadly, [for us!] a combination of finances, player's wishes to remain in SL and salary cap meant we had to lose quite a few. If ever we needed proof about the old adage about forwards deciding who win matches, you need only look at our relegation for it.

I'm certainly not stupid enough to think that others won't notice Gazza's form but, to be honest, most SL clubs look first to their own academies for players - after all they obviously get first dibs of all the best juniors so that is where the best [and cheapest] options are always going to be, not in Div 2.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

There is no doubt in my mind Saints would be a better squad with Gaskell in it.

I, for one, am delighted we could both afford his services and convince him to stay.

Opinions opinions!

Bulliac, did Gaskell have offers from Superleague??

I'd much rather they invest their money in other young players such as Richards, Greenwood, Thompson, Percival & Savelio. And in the halves i'd also rather they take time to develop Hewitt & Charnock who have stepped up to the 1st team squad than on someone like Gaskell

I'm a Saints fan.

I'm not saying he would shift Walsh or burns from the half backs although he would have been handy last year. I think him at loose forward though would at least make it less likely Wilkin would kick it.

Archived