Graham

Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, NRL news etc... Injuries as at end of R18

12 hours ago, Graham said:

NRL have decided to register Matt Lodge's contract with Broncos despite him having pleaded guilty to assault.

Surely Broncos don't really need him with their pool of young talent?

Wayne must think he will mprove their chances though.

Is this damaging to Broncos image, the NRL's image or what?

Well, the NRL open Pandora's box with the return of Russell Packer... It gives Anthony Watts and others plenty of hope.

No doubt that Bennett likes the motivator in him. Imagine that a player, say Thaiday or Bird, is dodging it at training, he'll train a lot harder if Lodge whispers "Work harder you fat slob, or this is the day you are going to die!" in his ears.

He's no fool, that Bennett fellow.

I guess he needs the contract to pay off the $US 1.2 million civil judgment against him.

Titans recruit Bryce Cartwright has revealed the mixed emotions he encountered surrounding his Penrith exit.

Cartwright had been training during the pre-season with the Panthers until his shock four-year deal with the Gold Coast was announced last weekend.

Realising his chances in the halves with the Panthers would be limited, Cartwright was excited to accept new Titans coach Garth Brennan's invitation to take on a role in the forwards on the Gold Coast.

Penrith general manager Phil Gould was criticised for his role in the move, with rumours circulating that Cartwright was released to allow the Panthers a greater chance in retaining star playmaker Nathan Cleary.

However, the Titans recruit said that Gould was upset to lose Cartwright's services, but didn't hold any grudges towards the high-profile switch.

"(Gould) was fine with it. He thought it was a good move for myself to get out of Sydney and for a fresh start. He was also upset too," Cartwright said on Friday.

"I signed my first contract there when I was 15 so I’ve been there since I was a young kid.

"It was upsetting but he said to me that he thought it was the right move. Luckily we worked something out."

Cartwright also denied he had a tense relationship with Penrith coach Anthony Griffin.

The 23-year-old said he and Griffin were on good terms, despite Griffin being pinpointed by fans as being the reason behind the departure of both Cartwright and former Panthers skipper Matt Moylan.

"I had a great relationship with (Griffin). He's a straight-up guy, he's really honest, it's hard training down there but he'll give it to you really honest," Cartwright said.

"I'm not too sure what happened with all the boys leaving, but I had a close relationship with him and he gave me a ring as soon as it all happened and he wished me all the best."

The pre-game hype about tyro forwards Payne Haas and David Fifita proved justified but a leg injury to new recruit Andre Savelio marred the Brisbane Broncos' 16-6 trial win over CQ Capras in Theodore on Saturday night.

Just before quarter-time second-rower Savelio, recruited from Warrington, was assisted from the field after appearing to injure his knee while being tackled.

Broncos assistant coach Kurt Richards, who was at the helm for the team on the night, said scans would determine the extent of what appeared to be a nasty knee injury.

"Watching it live, it didn't look good," Richards told NRL.com.

"The physios are still unsure and we have got a seven and a half hour bus trip back [to Brisbane] until we get the scans.

"It is pretty disappointing for him. He's come a long way, he's trained hard this season ... and 14 minutes in he goes down with something like that. We are just hoping for the best for him."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/10/andre-savelio-injured-as-payne-haas-and-david-fifita-fire-in-brisbane-broncos-trial-win/

Newcastle Knights have pinched one of the Shire's most promising junior outside backs.

Apparently Jesse Ramien, a centre-winger who played for the Junior Kangaroos and NSW Under 20’s last year and was named in the Holden Cup Team of the Year, has agreed to link with the Knights from next season.

Ramien 20, made his NRL debut for Cronulla on the wing against the Knights in the final round last season at McDonald Jones Stadium, diving over in the corner to score a try in the Sharks’ 26-18 win.

A former Coonamble Bears junior, Ramien had been seen as a future star by Sharks coach Shane Flanagan with his top grade debut a reward for an outstanding season at club and representative level.

It’s understood several NRL clubs were in the race to sign him but the cashed-up Knights produced a deal and pathway that was too good to knock back.

The NRL is set to crack down on dodgy play-the-balls in 2018, with chief executive Todd Greenberg responding to fan complaints.

The game's governing body sent a directive to all 16 clubs before Christmas telling them referees would scrutinise the ruck more heavily this year.

It's long been a bugbear of fans and commentators that players have been able to get away with not playing the ball with their foot or while not standing straight.

Greenberg said that would be tightly policed under new referees boss Bernard Sutton.

The clubs will have no cause for complaint because referees spent time with each club in the pre-season, letting them know what to expect.

"You will definitely see the rules tighten on the play-the-ball," Greenberg said.

"There was an edict given to clubs in the pre-season and I know the the referees have been at scrimmages with all of the clubs.

"There will be a much greater focus on the play-the-ball and playing it with a genuine attempt to play the ball.

"I think you'll see referees being quite vigilant on that. The challenge for the referees is to maintain that throughout the year."

Greenberg said he was reacting to fans' complaints about the policing of the play-the-ball, which had eroded during the past several years.

"There's little things and big things. Little things like the play-the-ball is the big things to fans," Greenberg said.

"The feedback I had last year when I went to fan forums was not to do with the finances. It was to do with the play-the-ball and referees and judiciary.

"We listen carefully and we've spoken about it with the competition committee, we've spoken about it the coaches and the referees have been given strong directives."

CoCap.JPG.1731cd935b2a0b66603a66cf946a40c0.JPG

Sharks Co-Captains

In a move set to lessen the burden on long time skipper Paul Gallen, while at the same time giving more responsibility to the club’s heir apparent in Wade Graham, Sharks coach Shane Flanagan has decided to run with co-Captains in 2018. 

The Captain and lock in the Sharks Team of the Half Century and the man to hold aloft the Club’s first NRL Premiership trophy, Gallen enters his 18th season in the top grade and his eighth year in a row as Sharks captain. 

Graham on the hand has been a capable fill in as captain over the past few years when Gallen has been missing with either injury or on rep duties, however armed with the experience gained both as the right hand man and as a member of the NSW and Australian teams in 2017, is ready to share the duties during the season ahead. 

Flanagan explained the decision was about giving Graham a chance to learn more about leadership under the tutelage of the man who not only captained NSW to an Origin victory in 2014, but who also led the Sharks to their maiden NRL title in 2016.  

“Having appointed Gal as captain (in 2011), I’ve only ever had one captain in all the time I’ve been here,’’ Flanagan told the Daily Telegraph. “Gal has been my rock throughout that time. He’s someone I can rely on, not just on the field, but outside of work.

“That won’t change and I feel Wade has very similar characteristics. He can continue his development as a leader by undertaking this role alongside Gal.’’

Also potentially helping to make the partnership a successful one is the close bond shared by the pair, dating back to when Gallen enticed a 21-year-old Graham to the Sharks back in 2011. 

While most keen observers predicted it was a more a matter of when, not if, he would lead the Cronulla club, Graham was humbled when told the appointment was to be made official. 

"I'm very excited about what the 2018 season might bring and its a massive honour for me to be able to share the captaincy with Gal," Graham said. 

Andre Savelio ruled out for the season with an ACL injury sustained in the club’s opening trial.

The 22-year-old English recruit injured his right knee in the 14th minute of the 16-6 trial win over CQ Capras in Theodore on Saturday night.

Brisbane high performance manager Jeremy Hickmans has confirmed Savelio will require a knee reconstruction.

It is a bitter blow for Savelio who told NRL.com just last week of how he had high hopes of forcing his way into the top 17 this year and realising his long-held dream of playing in the Telstra Premiership.

Wigan Warriors made history in Australia as they overcame Hull FC 24-10 in the first Super League match to be played outside Europe. 

The Warriors triumphed in Wollongong after a dominant second-half showing that built on their 12-10 half-time advantage.

With Super League bosses and clubs hoping the contest will bring the competition to a wider audience, the crowd of 12,416 at WIN Stadium will have been heartening.

Shaun Wane's side started brightly and two Liam Marshall tries seemingly had them in control inside 12 minutes, before Fetuli Talanoa and Jordan Abdull responded for Hull.

A Sam Tomkins penalty just before the break ensured Wigan went in ahead, with Ryan Sutton and Ben Flower also touching down to wrap up the points. 

FULL TIME

Wigan Warriors 24
Hull FC 10

The two sides will remain in Australia to face NRL opponents, with Wigan taking on South Sydney Rabbitohs, while Hull meet St George Illawarra Dragons.

Jordan McLean will make his North Queensland debut against his former NRL club Melbourne next week.

Storm skipper Smith believes his former teammate McLean will go to a “whole new level” at Thurston’s Cowboys after a dream year for Melbourne in 2017.

And he winced when Thurston revealed the towering 26-year-old would be unleashed in North Queensland colours for the first time against the Storm in their February 23 trial.

“We have been very impressed with Jordan since he has arrived – he will definitely be playing here at Suncorp Stadium,” Thurston said alongside Smith in Brisbane on Sunday.

The clash will double as a testimonial match for Smith and Thurston, celebrating their glittering careers.

But Smith could only see pain coming his way.

After first joking that McLean should have that week off, Smith admitted he wasn’t looking forward to an on-field reunion with the Test battering ram.

“Not really because he will be running straight at me,” he laughed.

But Smith was deadly serious when he claimed McLean would only get better under the likes of Thurston at North Queensland.

Apparently Wests Tigers are considering throwing a lifeline to former Dally M winner Ben Barba next season.

Barba is blitzing all comers playing for St Helens in England and the NRL recently declared they would consider letting him return to Australia.

The former Bulldogs and Sharks star quit the game here after copping a 12-game ban for drugs in 2016 but has served his time and is believed to be keen to come home.

The Tigers are still looking for a long-term replacement for brilliant fullback James Tedesco, who left the club over the summer for the Roosters.

Ex-Warrior Tui Lolohea is likely to start the season in Tedesco’s spot but he is not a proven fullback at NRL level and plays his best football on the wing.

The Tigers have money in the bank and Barba, at 28, still has plenty of good football in him.

Club statement:

Parramatta National Rugby League Club Pty Limited player Tony Williams appeared in court today regarding a drink driving incident. The legal process has been completed and Tony has been fined $1,000 and given a one-year driving suspension.

Following discussions with the NRL Integrity Unit, and taking into consideration that Tony has undertaken a safe driving course, the Club has decided to suspend Tony for rounds 1 and 2 of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership. 

The Club views drink driving as an extremely serious offence and we have reiterated to Tony that this behaviour is unacceptable.

Former Parramatta Eels hooker John McMartin has passed away, aged 73. 

McMartin played 167 games for the Eels between 1965 and 1975, representing New South Wales in one match in his final year with Parramatta. He was the identical twin brother of Mal McMartin who played for Balmain Tigers.

McMartin was the first recorded player to be offered a privately sponsored contract when he joined the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in 1967, where he played for four seasons including the 1978 drawn Grand Final against Manly. McMartin retired at the end of the 1979 season.

Roosters:

James Tedesco has been quarantined from his teammates as the second player to contract the mumps in as many weeks.

Tedesco has been housebound this week with the contagious viral disease that was first contracted by veteran back-rower Mitchell Aubusson a fortnight ago.

• Haha 1

Bunnies team to play Wigan:   

Alex Johnston, Richard Kennar, Hymel Hunt, Robert Jennings, Campbell Graham, Adam Doueihi, Robbie Farah, Thomas Burgess, Damien Cook, Mark Nicholls, Tyrell Fuimaono, Dean Britt, Jason Clark,

Bench: Connor Tracey, Lucky Ta'avale, George Burgess, Junior Tatola, Mawene Hiroti, Braidon Burns, Jacob Gagan, Siosifa Talakai, Billy Brittain.

Dragons 24-man squad to face Hull FC (alphabetical order):

Leeson Ah Mau, Euan Aitken, Mitch Allgood, Matt Dufty, Jai Field, Reuben Garrick, James Graham, Jacob Host, Ben Hunt, Josh Kerr, Tim Lafai, Jeremy Latimore, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua, Zac Lomax, Kurt Mann, Cameron McInnes, Darren Nicholls, Jason , Nightingale, Reece Robson, Hame Sele, Tariq Sims, Paul Vaughan, Gareth Widdop (c), ,

21 hours ago, Graham said:

Roosters:

James Tedesco has been quarantined from his teammates as the second player to contract the mumps in as many weeks.

Tedesco has been housebound this week with the contagious viral disease that was first contracted by veteran back-rower Mitchell Aubusson a fortnight ago.

Fantastic news , with a bit of luck a few more might catch it.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs coach Dean Pay hasn’t wasted any time enforcing the new standards expected at the club, recently sending home new recruit Moses Suli after a string of disciplinary breaches during the past fortnight.

NRL.com can reveal the new Bulldogs recruit has received two warnings after being late for multiple training sessions and failing to finish several others as he struggles to adapt to life at his new club.

Pay has shown that shortcuts won’t be tolerated under his regime at the Bulldogs, telling Suli to leave training to reassess his commitment to his career.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/15/moses-suli-sent-home-from-canterbury-bulldogs-training-after-repeated-warnings/

He's only been there 2 weeks. At this rate the Doggies will dump him and his only option will be to play for the Wallabies.

• Haha 1

Health warning... this is a predicted line-up only!

BULLDOGS

Predicted team: 1. Moses Mbye 2. Brett Morris 3. Josh Morris 4. Will Hopoate 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Matt Frawley 7. Kieran Foran 8. Aaron Woods 9. Michael Lichaa 10. David Klemmer 11. Josh Jackson 12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner 13. Danny Fualalo. Interchange: 14. Fa’amanu Brown 15. Greg Eastwood 16. Adam Elliott 17. Aiden Tolman

Who’s left: Francis Tualau, Asipeli Fine, Clay Priest, Ofahiki Ogden, Renouf Toomaga, Rhys Martin, Zac Woolford, Chase Stanley, Josh Cleeland, Kerrod Holland, Reimis Smith, Moses Suli, John Olive

Analysis: Moses Mbye switches to fullback with Will Hopoate moving to centre and Brenko Lee released to the Titans. Star recruit Kieran Foran will play halfback with Matt Frawley at five-eighth. David Klemmer will start at prop alongside great mate and star recruit Aaron Woods, with Danny Fualalo to play. Young speedsters Moses Suli (ex-Tigers) and John Olive (ex-Titans) have added reserve depth to the outside backs.

Likewise...

RABBITOHS

Predicted team: 1. Alex Johnston 2. Rob Jennings 3. Greg Inglis 4. Dane Gagai 5. Richie Kennar 6. Cody Walker 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Thomas Burgess 9. Damien Cook 10. Zane Musgrove 11. Sam Burgess 12. Angus Crichton 13. Cameron Murray. Interchange: 14. Adam Doueihi 15. John Sutton 16. Tyrell Fuimaono 17. George Burgess

Who’s left: Robbie Farah, Kyle Turner, Mark Nicholls, Siosifa Talakai, Jason Clark, Braidon Burns, Campbell Graham, Jacob Gagan, Dean Britt, Vincent Leuluai, Jesse Arthars, Billy Britain, Junior Tatola, Jesse Martin, Mawene Hiroti, Dean Hawkins, Ky Rodwell, Lucky Ta’avale, Sam Johnstone, Joshua Cook

Analysis: Greg Inglis (ACL) is racing the clock for round one and expected to be eased back at centre, with Alex Johnston at fullback. Sam Burgess is preparing to play an edge role, with young gun Cameron Murray tipped to play lock. Anthony Seibold has indicated Richie Kennar will score one wing spot, with Lebanon World Cup star Adam Doueihi to play off the bench. Robert Jennings (favourite), Braidon Burns, Jacob Gagan, Campbell Graham and Hymel Hunt are all contesting for the vacant left wing position. Seibold’s preference for an 80-minute hooker is likely to push Robbie Farah out of the 17. Adam Reynolds is currently in a moon boot but expected to resume training soon.

Predicted... so might not be right!

STORM

Predicted team: 1. Billy Slater 2. Suliasi Vunivalu 3. Will Chambers 4. Curtis Scott 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Cameron Munster 7. Brodie Croft 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Cameron Smith 10. Tim Glasby 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Ryan Hoffman 13. Dale Finucane. Interchange: 14. Ryley Jacks 15. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 16. Kenny Bromwich 17. Sam Kasiano

Who’s left: Billy Waters, Cheyse Blair, Jahrome Hughes, Justin Olam, Ryan Papenhuyzen, Sandor Earl, Scott Drinkwater, Young Tonumaipea, Brandon Smith, Christian Welch, Harry Grant, Joe Stimson, Lachlan Timm, Louis Geraghty, Patrick Kaufusi, Tui Kamikamica

Analysis: Brodie Croft is frontrunner for the halfback spot vacated by Cooper Cronk, although coach Craig Bellamy has hinted at a halves rotation policy. “To expect him (Croft) to play the whole season … I don’t know whether that is realistic, to be quite honest,” Bellamy said. Recruit Ryan Hoffman is a straight swap for Tohu Harris on the left edge. Tim Glasby replaces Jordan McLean in the starting front row with recruit Sam Kasiano added to the bench.

Storm have a trial game tomorrow v NZ Warriors in Rotorua  On the back of the WCC game means that the side will be largely made up of youngsters and hopefuls.

Storm Team List

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Matt Sopa-Lawler (Sunshine Coast Falcons)

Justin Olam

Chris Lewis (Sunshine Coast Falcons)

Jarred McInally (Easts Tigers)

Scott Drinkwater

Billy Walters

Tui Kamikamica

Harry Grant

Lachlan Timm

Tino Fa’asuamaleaui

Louis Geraghty

Pat Kaufusi
INTERCHANGE

Jye Ballinger (Sunshine Coast Falcons)

Jacob Hind (Sunshine Coast Falcons)

Brett Greinke (Easts Tigers)

Harrison Muller (Sunshine Coast Falcons)

Jarred Tuite (Easts Tigers)

Kelma Tuilagi

Kayleb Milne

Lachlan Roe (Sunshine Coast Falcons)

Cooper Johns