Moves, Rumours,Judiciary, Injuries ...

31 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Cooper Cronk signs with Sydney Roosters

October 30, 2017 - 1:07 pm

The Sydney Roosters have announced the signing of Cooper Cronk on a two-year deal for seasons 2018 and 2019.

33 year-old Cronk is a two-time Dally M Player of the Year medalist and has played 323 first grade games since making his NRL debut with the Melbourne Storm in 2004.

“We are delighted to have secured the services of Cooper for the next two seasons,” said Roosters Chief Executive Joe Kelly.

“Cooper has played the game at the highest level for a number of years and we are keenly aware of what he brings to the Club. Together with the established leaders within our squad, we see him as a wonderful addition to our roster,” he added.

Cronk expressed his delight to be joining the Foundation Club, saying: “The Sydney Roosters are a proud Club with an esteemed history, and this is an exciting new opportunity for me.”

“It marks the start of a new chapter for me both professionally and personally and I look forward to joining my new teammates and coaches, and immersing myself in the Club’s culture in lead-up to the 2018 season,” he added.

Good signing,his kicking and game management is what’s been missing for the Roosters in big games over the last few years,cue the salary cap conspiracy theories.

Yes, folk are speculating on how Roosters can fit him in under the salary cap especially if Pearce stays despite being unhappy with Cooper’s arrival.

When the dust settles Roosters will have a great asset. He’s a top class inspiring player with a great tactical brain and a way with words on the field and off.

Hopefully he’ll be able to smooth over any ruffled feathers in the camp. Given the chance, I reckon he will as he’s got a great manner and personality.

Edited by Graham

Bunnies:

Coach Seibold says he has already pencilled Inglis in to play fullback for the club next year when he returns from a lengthy injury lay-off.

Inglis hasn’t taken the field since rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament early in the season, but will return to training on Monday.

He will then play his first competitive game in the Charity Shield on February 24 — almost a year after injuring his knee.

To hand Inglis back the No. 1 jumper is a big statement from rookie coach Seibold, given the problems the representative star has endured with his knees.

He will get the nod ahead of Cody Walker, who Seibold says will play at five-eighth alongside halfback Adam Reynolds.

“We see those three guys playing there together as our best spine. We’re shaping our training around those three guys there,” Seibold said.

Broncos:

Jack Bird is in doubt for round one with the 22-year-old booked in for surgery on Thursday.

Bird will head under the knife to fix ligament damage in his shoulder which will sideline him for three to four months.

Bird travelled to Brisbane last week to meet with their medical team when it was decided the injury needed addressing.

Brisbane high performance manager Jeremy Hickmans revealed that the NSW Origin star needs a partial reconstruction.

Jarryd Hayne to quit Gold Coast Titans

November 2, 2017 - 9:50 am

Jarryd Hayne is looking to quit the Gold Coast Titans just a few months after triggering his option for another season with the NRL club.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting that Hayne’s agent Wayne Beavis has told the Titans he is looking for opportunities elsewhere.

Hayne apparently wants to move back to Sydney to be closer to his daughter and sources have said that Beavis is exploring all options to make it happen.

Hayne is currently with the Fiji team for the World Cup and the Titans are still expecting him to return for pre-season training in January.

•  

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Jarryd Hayne & Tony Williams to Eels is the latest rumour.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/jarryd-hayne-and-tony-williams-could-be-on-their-way-back-to-parramatta-eels-20171102-gzdhgk.html

Edited by Vichyssoise

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

10 minutes ago, Graham said:

Wayne Bennett has been roused almost into showing emotion.

He's not at all happy with Jack Bird needing surgery that will likely mean he'll miss the start of the season..

Bennett says Sharks didn't let on about Bird's injury before shipping him out to Broncos.

Well, he signed in April/May and got injured later... Hard to complain under these circumstances although I'd be filthy too if I was him.

By the way, why aren't Bennett & Meninga focusing on  the WC instead of boring us with domestic issues?

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

The Canberra Raiders have re-signed local junior Nick Cotric for a further two seasons, with the NRL rookie of the year secured in Canberra until the end of the 2020 season. 

Cotric, who collected the NRL and Raiders rookie of the year awards had an electrifying start to his NRL career, playing all 24 matches for the Raiders in 2017, scoring 16 tries. 

The 18-year-old outside back said he’s excited to remain in Canberra and said the support he’d received in his first season had been a huge help in his decision. 

“It’s been a massive year being able to make my NRL debut and I’ve enjoyed every minute of it,” Cotric said. “The boys have been a huge help for me and it helped me make my decision to re-sign. There’s been heaps of support from the team and club and I’m looking forward to continuing to play for the Raiders.” 

Raiders CEO Don Furner said the club was thrilled to retain Cotric and said it was great to see another local talent progress into the NRL.

“Nick’s had a huge first season in first grade and the clubs proud to have a player who grew up in Canberra recommit to the club,” Furner said. “We pride ourselves on developing talent and Nick is one of the best upcoming talents in the game.” 

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

The Penrith Panthers have officially lodged James Maloney’s three-year deal with the NRL, which will see fullback Matt Moylan make a move to the Cronulla Sharks.

NRL.com reports the NRL still needs to rubber-stamp the deal but it’s expected to end months of speculation over the futures of both Maloney and Moylan.

Maloney had a year to run on his current Sharks deal but will secure his future with the $2.4 million three-year deal with the Panthers.

Maloney will slot straight into the five-eighth role at the Panthers alongside young gun Nathan Cleary.

The Panthers were desperate to add an experienced playmaker to their squad after rookie playmaker Tyrone May suffered an ACL injury late in the season and is expected to miss the opening rounds.

Moylan on the other hand only recently re-signed with the Panthers and still had four years remaining with the club.

The Sharks will essentially take over this contract, with the club reportedly signing him to a four-year deal worth $4.6 million.

Although Moylan has played much of his career at fullback, it’s unlikely he’ll fill that position at Cronulla with both Valentine Holmes and Josh Dugan also vying to wear the No. 1 jersey.

Moylan is expected to slot into the halves for the Sharks alongside Chad Townsend

Edited by Irish Saint

What are the odds of Maloney complaining about his contract after 2 years?

Disappointed to see him go, as I don't think Moylan's anything more than an average 5/8. But at the same time, the 2017 vintage left a sour taste in the mouth. Cronulla will have to find a goalkicker because currently there's Holmes and no one else.

On the plus side, the team got rid of 2 disrupting influences in Bird and Maloney.

A 5 - 8 finish in the standings will be a good performance, but there's no point in expecting a Top 4 or a lengthy finals run.

* Subject to change

Some players names just seem to catch my imagination and cry out to be anagrams.

Ned Catic was one of them.

When I saw his name I just couldn't help rearranging the letters of his used name to become ACCIDENT

When I see Nick Cotric's name (as above in Irish Saint's post) used in that form I can't help but swap his letters round to become... 

CITRIC CONK

Is it just me? :hi:

Well, Graham... How shall I put it? :D

* Subject to change

Okay then just to stimulate Vichyssoise in a nice way here's another;

Cameron Smith could be Manic Smother or Manic's Mother

Oh and then there's this ... or these...

Sam Burgess, wait for it ...

Grasses Bum or even ... Bum Gassers

I'll get my coat ...

Edited by Graham

Matt Moylan is officially a Cronulla Sharks player. I have my doubts about this move, only time will tell. I reckon Moylan is more hype than substance.

Some Sharks supporters seem to think that the club's trying to lure Mitchell Pearce as well. Perish the thought.

* Subject to change

On 11/4/2017 at 12:38 AM, Graham said:

Some players names just seem to catch my imagination and cry out to be anagrams.

Ned Catic was one of them.

When I saw his name I just couldn't help rearranging the letters of his used name to become ACCIDENT

When I see Nick Cotric's name (as above in Irish Saint's post) used in that form I can't help but swap his letters round to become... 

CITRIC CONK

Is it just me? :hi:

No it's not just you although these days I see the names in meter, thus Regan Campbell Gillard becomes Bogan Womble Dullard or Vegan Handle Mallard. It works best with the longer names like Arid Urea Harddrive or Gallon Martini Kalashnikov.

Dane Gagai seems okay about leaving Newcastle, a club he came to feel were'nt that bothered about him really.

“The biggest thing was I kind of had a feeling that I wasn’t really wanted at the club.

“When I spoke to my manager (Steve Gillis) and we had a sit down and he told me the Bunnies were interested, and when I spoke to them they told me how much they wanted me.

“At the end of the day it came down to that feeling of being wanted.

“The Bunnies were pressing hard to try to get me to go there, and Newcastle were trying to sign players and trying to rebuild.

“I guess I couldn’t really understand why they weren’t rushing to sign me.

“It was never really about the money for me. I’d been at that club for six years.

BenjiM.JPG.26802d522f25227df1743730c65f9e50.JPG

Benji Marshall is on the move... he's returning to  Wests Tigers for 2018 after leaving Broncos.

It was 2003 when he first signed for Tigers, so this is full circle for him and he sees it as a very emotional return.

He didn't leave in a very good way so maybe this is a way he can crown his career and make up for any problems of the past.