Dual Reg updates

I think at Featherstone the problem is we have a lot of players through retirement players moving on to other clubs etc and we have struggled to get the players to replace them. I think we thought that the players brought i from leeds would fill that gap.

Unfortunately having seen the players against the likes of Bradford and Leigh I am not sure that they are SL standard. I would much rather we were developing our own players rather than ones for Leeds.

Paul, If they were SL standard Leeds would sign them back anyway as they are on one year only contracts. AFAIK you have been running an academy to develop your own players for a few years now.

Looks like DR is seen as delivering a better quality of player than Rovers can breed.

This would be no surprise as the SL clubs go round raiding all the best junior players anyway so inevitably part time Championship club end up taking those SL do not want.

Paul, If they were SL standard Leeds would sign them back anyway as they are on one year only contracts. AFAIK you have been running an academy to develop your own players for a few years now.

Looks like DR is seen as delivering a better quality of player than Rovers can breed.

This would be no surprise as the SL clubs go round raiding all the best junior players anyway so inevitably part time Championship club end up taking those SL do not want.

I see it as a short term fix parky. We are crippled with injuries at the moment plus we are still awaiting 2 from overseas. Yes we have a squad of about 32ish. But we seem to be down to the bare bones at the moment with injuries. I don't see us using DR once our players start to come back from injury. We haven't used it for the last 3 weeks really only Tom Johnson against Leigh that's it. Like I say I think its just a short term fix while we get our bodies back from injury and our 2 overseas players arrive.

I see it as a short term fix parky. We are crippled with injuries at the moment plus we are still awaiting 2 from overseas. Yes we have a squad of about 32ish. But we seem to be down to the bare bones at the moment with injuries. I don't see us using DR once our players start to come back from injury. We haven't used it for the last 3 weeks really only Tom Johnson against Leigh that's it. Like I say I think its just a short term fix while we get our bodies back from injury and our 2 overseas players arrive.

Just a question Gaz, why are you bothered, you have told us your thoughts about

A. Your team and your interest has completely wained.

B. The Championship, totally lopsided

C. The Middle 8 structure is a completle waste of time and resources

D. From now on your rugby fix will be from the comfort of your armchair, and only SL then, the Challenge

Cup is also a waste of time.

Just curious?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Just a question Gaz, why are you bothered, you have told us your thoughts about

A. Your team and your interest has completely wained.

B. The Championship, totally lopsided

C. The Middle 8 structure is a completle waste of time and resources

D. From now on your rugby fix will be from the comfort of your armchair, and only SL then, the Challenge

Cup is also a waste of time.

Just curious?

TBH I'm not bothered Gaz. But I will always want my team to win. I've supported/watched them for 26 years plus now. Like I say me personally I couldn't care if we DR with St. Helens and got all their starting 13 at least we would make the top 4. I don't like this system as you know and I can't support something I don't like. I was just pointing out why we were maybe using DR that's all. All I'm saying is just because I think this system is a farce doesn't mean I don't want my team to do well even if I don't watch them in lopsided no contest games/league. Like I say I love RL and love watching it no matter what team that may be so I'm happy to get my fix from SKY until the system is equalled out or changed.

TBH I'm not bothered Gaz. But I will always want my team to win. I've supported/watched them for 26 years plus now. Like I say me personally I couldn't care if we DR with St. Helens and got all their starting 13 at least we would make the top 4. I don't like this system as you know and I can't support something I don't like. I was just pointing out why we were maybe using DR that's all. All I'm saying is just because I think this system is a farce doesn't mean I don't want my team to do well even if I don't watch them in lopsided no contest games/league. Like I say I love RL and love watching it no matter what team that may be so I'm happy to get my fix from SKY until the system is equalled out or changed.

That's fair enough Gaz, so I ddon't really understand your comment on the Cup thread when you say you love watching rugby league but can't be bothered with the Leigh Salford game, surely even for curiosity value and only to be proven correct that there is a 60 point plus margin as you state between the SL and Championship teams, that doesn't really say you love the game.

Anyway back to your points differnce, I'll take 40 that should be a comfortable margin for you, name your stake.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Just a question Gaz, why are you bothered

TBH I'm not bothered Gaz.

All I'm saying is just because I think this system is a farce doesn't mean I don't want my team to do well even if I don't watch them

Like I say I love RL and love watching it no matter what team that may be so I'm happy to get my fix from SKY 

Probably a very telling exchange.

Over the years of the deterioration of the championship causes the cry we're losing (paying) fans.

So Hunslet lost my regular attendance at SL

So Feathersone lose Gaz's atendance at POR

But between us we still pay for SKY dishes and in my enthusiasm for pro-RL I attend more games than since I was single.

The loss of a real pathway to SL now and the ever pervading threat of being feeder clubs are problems for the clubs. The RFL/SLE/SKY may not see them as problems  if the fans lost simply switch to SKY and SL.

That's fair enough Gaz, so I ddon't really understand your comment on the Cup thread when you say you love watching rugby league but can't be bothered with the Leigh Salford game, surely even for curiosity value and only to be proven correct that there is a 60 point plus margin as you state between the SL and Championship teams, that doesn't really say you love the game.

Anyway back to your points differnce, I'll take 40 that should be a comfortable margin for you, name your stake.

The not watching leigh Salford was tongue in cheek Gaz like I explained to kryten lol. As for your 40 point start come on that's way OTT. Wigan didn't even beat us in the CC by 40 and no dis respect to Salford but they are no Wigan lol. I'm not saying on a one off game you can't win as its been proven by us and barrow it can happen. The middle 8s are totally different though as they are not one off games you will be playing 4 SL clubs nearly week after week that's when it gets tough. I hope you beat salford you know that but like any other champ club you realistically shouldn't stand a chance but like I say it as been done before.

Probably a very telling exchange.

Over the years of the deterioration of the championship causes the cry we're losing (paying) fans.

So Hunslet lost my regular attendance at SL

So Feathersone lose Gaz's atendance at POR

But between us we still pay for SKY dishes and in my enthusiasm for pro-RL I attend more games than since I was single.

The loss of a real pathway to SL now and the ever pervading threat of being feeder clubs are problems for the clubs. The RFL/SLE/SKY may not see them as problems  if the fans lost simply switch to SKY and SL.

I see it as a massive problem Parky, how many SL players from towns other than those occupied by SL clubs presently started out their interest in Rugby League simply because they had a local team to aspire to, it may be stated that they got the bug from playing at school, but would I be correct in saying in the main that RL is played in schools were there is an interest in the town? Of course we have amatuer teams in those places but these are not usually new starts but long established organisation's and my fear is if the heartland clubs are allowed to go into natural, no wrong word, forced extinction the conveyor belt will have far less product traversing along it. Take away the seeds and nothing grows.

We hinted a few posts ago that their maybe some overriding conspiracy by the RL hierarchy to "cut the chaff" and I stated that these people were professional career managers well versed in looking at perspectives from all different angles before making decisions.

After a lot of deliberation on my part and some scenarios I had not considered, those being offered up on these pages by the contributers, I think that the new era, which has been created with such an imbalance, has been done purposefully with the intention of separating those who have and those exhibiting ambition, from the rest.

That the hierarchy were not initially RL people until they took up their posts, they have no connection to history or tradition hence clubs are just numbers, in a business sense they are planning on ditching the old machine tools that have become unfit for purpose and setting out on a self sustaining profit making organisation.

Perhaps it is the correct way, in a business sense it most definitely is, but I am a traditionlist and I think that we could have far reaching consequences further down the years if some of these clubs go out of business.

Sorry to all for going off topic.

I see it as a massive problem Parky, how many SL players from towns other than those occupied by SL clubs presently started out their interest in Rugby League simply because they had a local team to aspire to, it may be stated that they got the bug from playing at school, but would I be correct in saying in the main that RL is played in schools were there is an interest in the town? Of course we have amatuer teams in those places but these are not usually new starts but long established organisation's and my fear is if the heartland clubs are allowed to go into natural, no wrong word, forced extinction the conveyor belt will have far less product traversing along it. Take away the seeds and nothing grows.

We hinted a few posts ago that their maybe some overriding conspiracy by the RL hierarchy to "cut the chaff" and I stated that these people were professional career managers well versed in looking at perspectives from all different angles before making decisions.

After a lot of deliberation on my part and some scenarios I had not considered, those being offered up on these pages by the contributers, I think that the new era, which has been created with such an imbalance, has been done purposefully with the intention of separating those who have and those exhibiting ambition, from the rest.

That the hierarchy were not initially RL people until they took up their posts, they have no connection to history or tradition hence clubs are just numbers, in a business sense they are planning on ditching the old machine tools that have become unfit for purpose and setting out on a self sustaining profit making organisation.

Perhaps it is the correct way, in a business sense it most definitely is, but I am a traditionlist and I think that we could have far reaching consequences further down the years if some of these clubs go out of business.

Sorry to all for going off topic.

All this stuff is so heavily connected it's on topic. The idea whether it is or not is just a useful cyber stick to beat beat other with.

You need to look back to 1973, when they divisionalised RL to find a time when the big clubs cut the little ones adrift. Far more radical than what has happened this year.

You need to look back to 1996 when the big clubs got the massive TV contract and didn't want the small clubs along with them. Far more a sea change than now.

The direct use of CC clubs by the big clubs indicates that nobody wants rid of the small clubs, the RFL and the SL cubs want them to stick around because they are useful for DR.

On the "go out of busness" thing take Hunslet. Can't see them going out of business at all and the amateur scene there is as strong as ever, and the fans as keen as ever, it's just that those resources of fans and players now channel directly to Leeds, and Leeds underpin Hunslet's existence.

Equally look back a couple of years to Leigh DR with Wigan, you were heading for the same deal. In time Leigh would have turned into a Hunslet. The new RL fans in Leigh would look to watch their RL in Wigan and lads at Rangers and Easts would aspire to play for Wigan, I guess they already do.

Archived