Sign in to follow this  
MancRL

Marwan Koukash says Salford losing £100.000 per game.

He used a much smaller figure after the poorly attended Wakefield game. I think he reported the loss as £15,000, so I'm not sure where this £100,000 has come from. Perhaps the £15,000 is just on the stadium rent while the £100,000 includes salary and other costs. Dunno.

Yes I saw the article by Dr M and it did state £15,000. Well he could afford this for a while but if it is £100,000 then he will need a big money partner or else!!!

I think he's factoring in potential loses on projected 8000 gates at AJ Bell. So not as bad as it sounds in the short term. But long term this is a problem.

He used a much smaller figure after the poorly attended Wakefield game. I think he reported the loss as £15,000, so I'm not sure where this £100,000 has come from. Perhaps the £15,000 is just on the stadium rent while the £100,000 includes salary and other costs. Dunno.

This could be round one of renegotiating the lease for favorable terms.

I think he's factoring in potential loses on projected 8000 gates at AJ Bell. So not as bad as it sounds in the short term. But long term this is a problem.

8000 was the projection made by the previous administration, and they built a squad on that basis. Actual attendances fell short of that in the first season (averaging around 5500, if memory serves), leading to the meltdown and Marwan's takeover. With attendances now around 3000, a shortfall of 5000 attendees, each paying around £20, gives us a loss of £100,000 per match. Sounds like that's what he's talking about. Whether Marwan himself is covering that loss or whether some of it is covered by the Sky money is unknown.

This could be round one of renegotiating the lease for favorable terms.

Could be. It seems very short term thinking by the stadium management company to impose terms that could bankrupt one of its two main clients.

Could be. It seems very short term thinking by the stadium management company to impose terms that could bankrupt one of its two main clients.

Yes, the mangement company should be thinking long term. And realise it's in their interest for Salford to build and eventually become a major club in SL.

With performances like last night's against Widnes maybe the penny will drop with lapsed supporters that this club could be going places.

Yes, the mangement company should be thinking long term. And realise it's in their interest for Salford to build and eventually become a major club in SL.

And in the long term interests of the city. I noticed that Warrington (the town) was using Warrington (the club) to promote itself on posters in the London Underground a couple of years ago. A thriving, successful Salford club could be used in the same way, which is why I find the complaining about the city providing a loan to the club to tide it over during a difficult period a bit narrow minded. Still, haters gonna hate, I suppose.

With performances like last night's against Widnes maybe the penny will drop with lapsed supporters that this club could be going places.

The difficulty Salford have is turning a performance like that into performances like that, because the only thing they've been consistent at over recent decades is being inconsistent. It's like a fan-repellent spray over the city. They need to string enough decent performances together so that next time they lose it comes as a nothing more than a bit of a disappointment rather than yet another case of 'same old Salford'. It'll be hard to change that perception (and, unfortunately, the location of the stadium means that that perception has to change first rather than being in the process of changing - the need to give people a reason to make the trip), but things are on the up. I think that's 8 wins out of the last 10 home games. Unfortunately, when they do lose, they tend to do it publicly and spectacularly.

Dr Koukash says he wants to buy a stake in Titans and one day hand over ownership of Salford to the community.

Are these the first steps that Dr Koukash is making in relinquishing his ownership of Salford?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/32087422

The article is really just a summary of things we already knew. Right from when he took over the club he said his intention was to make it self-sustaining and then move on. The line "as soon as the club can stand on its own feet" suggests nothing has changed.

Two of the most important ingredients he identified in order for the club to be self-sustaining were a thriving academy and a stadium that it owned and could therefore make money on. I'm not sure what's happening with the first of these (although I did read someone somewhere outside of Salford saying that the club was casting its net wide in its search for young players) but recent pronouncements perhaps indicate some rumblings on the second.