The single most disturbing turn of events of late

At the moment there is one issue that I just can't help but be disturbed by, enough that I would bother to write this after a very long silence. The issue is the recent trend for developing rugby league nations to step into the arms of rugby union, and then claim that they have legitimacy as a body representing our code. I personally see it as quite the opposite. I feel that the RLEF, RLIF and every other major rugby league body should distance themselves from such moves, as to legitimise such behaviour is to see the code strangled before it can rise.

Italy stepping into the arms of rugby union does not make them an official body. All it achieves is reduce rugby league to being no more than a form of rugby union in the eyes of not only the Italian Olympic body, but potentially to many other organisations around the globe. The IOC does not determine who the official RL body is. Rugby league and the RLIF does. I hope that Danny Kazandijan and David Collier don't lose sight of this. Rugby union must not be allowed to be given power to determine the future of a sport other than its own.

This sort of rot began with Norway and spread to South Africa, who understandably have tried every currently available avenue for government recognition. It was a positive that the SARU came to the table to attempt to help sort out the issue, but that has backfired. The SARL along with every other governing body should be made to distance themselves completely from accepting any half-baked compromise that results in one sport being recognised only as an arm of another. It is not a solution, and because the RLIF has failed to act it's likely it will continue to spread. We need stronger leadership.

Absolutely.

After a successful initial period the Norwegian RL joined up with the union governing body and almost immediately Warren Heilig was voted out of office. SInce then NRL has become nothing more than a sub-sect of union and has gone backwards in that country.

Now we've got the Italian rebels becoming part of the Italian union and using this as leverage to get government recognition.

I understand the situation in South Africa is different but the current situation must be seen as a temporary one and the quest for independence continued.

The RLIF and RLEF have got to stand firm on this and insist that governing bodies are independent of other sports and any unwanted influence they might bring. 

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

I think this should be a high priority for the RLIF and the RLEF since they are supposed to be the governing body for Italy and Norway. We are not a sub-branch of RU and should not accept that as our appropriate status.

I understand the importance of recognition in relation to insurance for players and access to facilities. Surely there are other ways to achieve this. We are too small, on a global level, to be having these splits in administrations in RL-developing countries. We have an RLIF, how about they do something concrete, rather than be the traditionally-ceremonial body they have been in the past.

There was more to the Norway situation than can be seen on the surface.  Warren was not always comfortable discussing the reasons for his decisions.  I agree it was a mistake for the Norwegians, but their tour to Thailand would not have been possible otherwise.

The RLEF certainly does not encourage the integrity of the sport to be compromised.  However, they are not in a position to and do not attempt to dictate to independent national bodies.  Experience has also taught that these decisions are generally best made by those on the ground with the best interests of the sport at heart.  Where things have gone horribly wrong, it has been through excessive intervention from the outside or policy based on personal ego.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

There was more to the Norway situation than can be seen on the surface.  Warren was not always comfortable discussing the reasons for his decisions.  I agree it was a mistake for the Norwegians, but their tour to Thailand would not have been possible otherwise.

The RLEF certainly does not encourage the integrity of the sport to be compromised.  However, they are not in a position to and do not attempt to dictate to independent national bodies.  Experience has also taught that these decisions are generally best made by those on the ground with the best interests of the sport at heart.  Where things have gone horribly wrong, it has been through excessive intervention from the outside or policy based on personal ego.

It may be taking a blunderbus to a delicate situation (and I know little or nothing of RL international politics) but it is up to the RLEF. They may not want to interfere with independent bodies but they have the power to give or withold recognition. 

How can thay recognise an organising body that is part of, and run by, a competitor sport?

If they sign up to union than remove recognition surely?

Sigh - only in Rugby League!

It may be taking a blunderbus to a delicate situation (and I know little or nothing of RL international politics) but it is up to the RLEF. They may not want to interfere with independent bodies but they have the power to give or withold recognition. 

How can thay recognise an organising body that is part of, and run by, a competitor sport?

If they sign up to union than remove recognition surely?

Sigh - only in Rugby League!

I think the RLEF of some years ago would have done this (as spceulation).  However, now they would not.  

Do not mistake me, the Danish RU made friendly overtures are we politely declined.  As we had no money then, that was a strong call.  However, the situation on the ground can be more extreme than we faced.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

If rl finally gets sport accord recognition would this enable some of these rl bodies to go it alone?

It could make a significant difference in some cases, but it would vary nation to nation.

I do appreciate the struggles that these nations are going through. Being given an opportunity to pay for insurance and afford some of the simple necessities is a very enticing carrot, however the idea that the various union bodies have seen value in rugby league over the past couple of years, and now want our sport to be a part of their organisations, without any alternate motives just doesn't fly. The only thing union has to gain is a tight control of how rugby league grows, and a leash that ensures that a thriving code becomes nothing more than a training tool for semi-skilled union players in their brief off-seasons.

I share your alarm and it is an unacceptable situation.

I can promise Hong Kong RL has taken note and we will not be doing this. Although we will try to be a friendly neighbour to RU at every opportunity.

DIEHARD / TITAN / MAROON / KANGAROO

It could make a significant difference in some cases, but it would vary nation to nation.

I thought they applied for Sport Accord membership at the end of 2014.  Surely we will hear back soon.

Archived