Mid-term report?

Well we've reached the mid point of the league having played all of the other teams once and find ourselves in sixth place. We've beaten one of the teams above us and lost to one below us so, in many ways, we might be regarded as the "average" team of the league. Looking at the table and attempting to forecast performances will we rise much above 6th or decline towards the basement? Will any of the other clubs significantly improve or decline?

My prediction is that we will finish 5th or 6th and should battle through to 1st or 2nd in the bottom eight league then reach the final of the playoff. I think London have a bit of improvement in them and will be stronger in the second half than the first. I don't anticipate any major changes at the top with Leigh and Bradford battling it out for first and Fev starting to look stronger in third. Fourth is there to be won or lost by Halifax and Sheffield with London an outside runner.

Doncaster look doomed (remember that in the bottom eight points are carried through from this league) and you can throw a blanket over Workington, Whitehaven and Batley to decide which will be the "next worst". Hunslet flatter to deceive but will pick up enough points to survive in 7th.

I'm sure there will be contrary views so let's hear them.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Well we've reached the mid point of the league having played all of the other teams once and find ourselves in sixth place. We've beaten one of the teams above us and lost to one below us so, in many ways, we might be regarded as the "average" team of the league. Looking at the table and attempting to forecast performances will we rise much above 6th or decline towards the basement? Will any of the other clubs significantly improve or decline?

My prediction is that we will finish 5th or 6th and should battle through to 1st or 2nd in the bottom eight league then reach the final of the playoff. I think London have a bit of improvement in them and will be stronger in the second half than the first. I don't anticipate any major changes at the top with Leigh and Bradford battling it out for first and Fev starting to look stronger in third. Fourth is there to be won or lost by Halifax and Sheffield with London an outside runner.

Doncaster look doomed (remember that in the bottom eight points are carried through from this league) and you can throw a blanket over Workington, Whitehaven and Batley to decide which will be the "next worst". Hunslet flatter to deceive but will pick up enough points to survive in 7th.

I'm sure there will be contrary views so let's hear them.

We've done well to finish in sixth for the first half and as well as Fev getting stronger I believe we will also.

We should be back into fourth place next week if Fev lose at London. It will then depend on how we fare at Sheffield as a good yardstick.

Unfortunately we have all the current top four teams to play away from home. I don't fear Fev away or Sheffield for that matter and I think we can turn Fax and London over at home.

Leigh and Bradford top two but I reckon the other two places are up for grabs from Fev, Fax, Sheffield, London and Us.

We are the only team to come within a whisker of Leigh so far this season and it was up for grabs with 5 mins to go.

The top four could go to the wire with us just sneaking that fourth spot

I think the placing of finishing 5/6th is very realistic. If there are to be any surprises in the top 4 at the season end, I think we could be it.

We have picked up points without being on top of our game at times. We have lost games whilst showing lots of guts & determination. We haven't rolled over and died against the so called bigger sides

We have been steadily improving and great credit to the coaching staff not just GM, lets also give some credit to Damian Gibson too & of course all the squad.

With the team spirit we have & a bit of luck in not getting too many injuries I can see us kick on in the 2nd phase of the regular season. Finishing 4th is in our sights.

UTR

For me, I think we will finish in sixth position. We still have to visit Bradford, Featherstone, Leigh AND the accursed Sheffield and I do not envisage beating them when we visit. The others I, would hope, ought to be ours, although Whitehaven could put a spoke in that.

Having written all that, further injuries to our players and other teams picking up their form could change all that.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

I think we can finish fourth.

We are not the only team prone to slipping up against the supposed weaker teams. I expect Halifax, London and Featherstone to lose a couple of matches before the end of the season that you wouldn't expect them to.

We've already been to Doncaster, Workington and Batley - who by the end of the season could be scrapping for their lives. Remember some of the scalps Workington took during the back end of last season? I wouldn't relish a trip to any of those grounds during the final six rounds and can see teams slipping up there.

We have at least five players to come back from injury - Greg Scott, Sam Wood, Stephen Nash, Shane Grady and Ryan Fieldhouse - during the second half of the season.

And several more in reserve - Scott Hale, Joel Farrell, Matty Haggarty, Wayne Godwin, Jason Muranka and Jason Crookes - who didn't feature on Sunday.

Yes, we'll pick up injuries, but so will everyone else. Fev look to have lost Sam Irwin back to Australia and both London and Halifax look to be without their first-choice full-back for the remainder of the season.

Seymour and Thackeray will only get better together as the second half of the season unfolds and I think the team as a collective is much better now than it was at the start of the season.

To head in to Sunday's game against Leigh with 11 (12 if you count Zach Johnson) potential first teamers in reserve, be two subs down by the start of the second half, throw an interception, make two glaring un-forced handling errors, kick out on the full twice AND STILL be within two missed goals of the unbeaten league leaders shows that we have nothing to fear from the teams around us during the second half of the season.

I think we'll beat Featherstone, London and Halifax during the second half of the season. I don't expect us to beat Bradford or Leigh at their place - but nor do I expect any of our rivals to get anything from them.

Sheffield away should be interesting. I think they are beatable and their results against Leigh and Bradford in recent weeks have shown that they are not at that level and are there to be shot at in the race for the top four.

Bring it on!

Tom

Can't be quite as positive as Tom (for a change ) but as we start the second half of the season I am actually more positive than usual. The win at London and the way we played against Leigh confirm that we can match the big boys and I can't see us finishing anywhere near the bottom half. We seem too to be over the more inconsistent play we had early doors. However we will loose at Leigh and Bradford and not convinced we will do Fev on their manor. We would beat them at home now I think so that's a shame. I also think we will lose at Sheffield. They are beatable now but not when you've just played against Warrington (crafty old Aston )

I expect we will finish 6th. Anything higher would be a bonus. All this is secondary to beating the Cheaters in Blackpol though!

If, and it is a big if, we can beat Sheffield, then the summer bash fixtures may work in our favour. With Halifax and Featherstone looking like our closest challengers for 4th spot they face Bradord and Leigh. A win v Sheffield and Batley and we are right back in the mix for 4th place.

They should have left the fixtures blank until the week before the Big Bash and then everyone should play the next team below them in the table as it stands at that date. That way the games should be closer and it gives the team a chance to pull away or catch their nearest rival in the table. It just isn't fair Batley having to play Dewsbury, I want to watch us play a decent team that will give us a game :lol:

Cue Mad Eddie ;)

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

They should have left the fixtures blank until the week before the Big Bash and then everyone should play the next team below them in the table as it stands at that date. That way the games should be closer and it gives the team a chance to pull away or catch their nearest rival in the table. It just isn't fair Batley having to play Dewsbury, I want to watch us play a decent team that will give us a game :lol:

Cue Mad Eddie ;)

I am sure by leaving the fixtures blank till the week before you miss the big boys in the top half, I think Hunslet, Doncaster, Workington, Whitehaven would be rubbing their hands of the opportunity of giving you a game. I too think it's a tad unjust that Batley have to play the Mighty Rams again.

I know what you are saying piggy , flobadob flip flop flobabob  as your twin used to say  ...........

I see your still bitter about not getting the part of Weeeeeeeeed, in the show GFDU! It may shock people to realise the real reason behind your Pseudonym ;)

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

I am sure by leaving the fixtures blank till the week before you miss the big boys in the top half, I think Hunslet, Doncaster, Workington, Whitehaven would be rubbing their hands of the opportunity of giving you a game. I too think it's a tad unjust that Batley have to play the Mighty Rams again.

I love it when the dogs win - we get piggy back on here. :tongue:

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

Wait until the end of May, you'll be sick to death of me ;)

Cue Mad Eddie ;)

Sounds like your joke of a team have won a game (I wondered how long it would take for you to crawl out of your rock!).

How many fans will be travelling to Blackpool as I can't see that many going, after all your home attendances are woeful. 

Our second team would batter you never-mind our first team. 

You've got Us (Dewsbury), Featherstone, Sheffield, London, and Leigh in your next 5 league games. Haha. Bye bye Batley!  :haha:   :bye:

Sounds like your joke of a team have won a game (I wondered how long it would take for you to crawl out of your rock!).

How many fans will be travelling to Blackpool as I can't see that many going, after all your home attendances are woeful. 

Our second team would batter you never-mind our first team. 

You've got Us (Dewsbury), Featherstone, Sheffield, London, and Leigh in your next 5 league games. Haha. Bye bye Batley!  :haha:   :bye:

Oh Dear..

This sort of talk can always end up biting you on the bum...

Derby game, neutral venue, one team just played Tuesday,, the other had a nice rest.....

Add to that the fact that we have always manged to loose to batley even when things have been going well and I am not counting my chickens...

Wait until the end of May, you'll be sick to death of me ;)

Oh, that's a long time to wait.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Some players I wouldn't select if they were 100%

Unfortunately the Warrington game is the least important in a busy week Sheffield & batley

Points are everything...

Chris forget 4th... I don't think it's in the sights

Success in the next 8 is far more realistic and achievable

Think top 4 would put us in a mini league where we couldn't compete week in week out against far stronger teams..which most of them will be full time.

Morrison wants to win something

And a 6/7 th finish will put us somewhere I'm confident we can get a result and be successful.

Some players I wouldn't select if they were 100%

Unfortunately the Warrington game is the least important in a busy week Sheffield & batley

Points are everything...

Chris forget 4th... I don't think it's in the sights

Success in the next 8 is far more realistic and achievable

Think top 4 would put us in a mini league where we couldn't compete week in week out against far stronger teams..which most of them will be full time.

Morrison wants to win something

And a 6/7 th finish will put us somewhere I'm confident we can get a result and be successful.

why cant we get 4th? i think its well within sights. i agree it may be tough in middle eights but we would gain extra money money with bigger gates with bigger away followings. 

It's always nice to win trophies, which we'd stand a chance of doing if we finished in the 'bottom eight', but I think we have to aim to finish as high as we can.

Top four is hugely ambitious considering we're competing against three full-time clubs - and a fourth with 12 full-time players on their books - but the spoils would be huge.

The financial reward is obvious in terms of prize money and gate receipts from the big away followings, but I also think we'd put ourselves in an extremely strong position to attract a higher calibre of player to the club.

A place in that middle eight, even as the 'also-rans', would really put our club in the spotlight.

Tom

It's always nice to win trophies, which we'd stand a chance of doing if we finished in the 'bottom eight', but I think we have to aim to finish as high as we can.

Top four is hugely ambitious considering we're competing against three full-time clubs - and a fourth with 12 full-time players on their books - but the spoils would be huge.

The financial reward is obvious in terms of prize money and gate receipts from the big away followings, but I also think we'd put ourselves in an extremely strong position to attract a higher calibre of player to the club.

A place in that middle eight, even as the 'also-rans', would really put our club in the spotlight.

I'm not so sure Tom, it is a case of many ifs and buts. If we were to be able to compete on a weekly basis in the middle eight (Qualifier group) then that would indeed be a good thing, but if we were to reach that group but get beaten soundly most of the time it would not be good, in my opinion, and nor would it put us in a better position to attract players of a higher calibre (cf. more expensive).

We're a sort of "moneyball" club aren't we, where we are able to attract those players who have been undervalued, possibly due to poor coaching or just bad luck, and to provide them with the opportunity to prove themselves. What we have been able to largely avoid so far is the "last payday" sort of player who might actually be attracted by the sniff of more money.

I would happily settle for 5th place, topping the Championship Shield league and winning the playoff final.

I'm not so sue Tom, it is a case of many ifs and buts. If we were to be able to compete on a weekly basis in the middle eight (Qualifier group) then that would indeed be a good thing, but if we were to reach that group but get beaten soundly most of the time it would not be good, in my opinion, and nor would it put us in a better position to attract players of a higher calibre (cf. more expensive).

We're a sort of "moneyball" club aren't we, where we are able to attract those players who have been undervalued, possibly due to poor coaching or just bad luck, and to provide them with the opportunity to prove themselves. What we have been able to largely avoid so far is the "last payday" sort of player who might actually be attracted by the sniff of more money.

I would happily settle for 5th place, topping the Championship Shield league and winning the playoff final.

Bang on

My sentiments exactly

5th and some success :)

If we perform to the best of our ability & finish 4th and hold our own in the Qualifiers or finish 5th and get to the Championship Shield Final, the season will have been a success.

There is huge potential in generating a nice little windfall for the financial coffers of the club with either scenario.

I am sure the guy's would love to pit themselves against the big boy's in the Qualifiers even just as a yard stick for the future & it could breed confidence.

We've done well to finish in sixth for the first half and as well as Fev getting stronger I believe we will also.

We should be back into fourth place next week if Fev lose at London. It will then depend on how we fare at Sheffield as a good yardstick.

Unfortunately we have all the current top four teams to play away from home. I don't fear Fev away or Sheffield for that matter and I think we can turn Fax and London over at home.

Leigh and Bradford top two but I reckon the other two places are up for grabs from Fev, Fax, Sheffield, London and Us.

We are the only team to come within a whisker of Leigh so far this season and it was up for grabs with 5 mins to go.

The top four could go to the wire with us just sneaking that fourth spot

I think Sheffield came closer than that and the 2 games against Fax were both decided on the last play of the game.

Fev will get 4th IMO leaving Dewsbury, London, and Fax to fight for 5th place. Dewsbury really have to take advantage of their bonus game at the Summer Bash where neither London or Fax will pick up any points.

Archived