Crowdwatch - RL Express declares

Salford had 1,972 people attend last night to see their team get beat 19-0. Is that their lowest crowd in the SL under the new owner? He recently spoke about losing money if crowds fall below the 3,000 mark.

Last nights fixture was over 3,000 down from the same fixture last year. In fairness the conditions were terrible, who'd really like to go out on a night like that when your team has been performing so badly with all the injuries.

2013 Salfords lowest 1,989 against HKR

2014 Salfords lowest 2,903 against HKR

The owner will be disappointed. IIRC the previous owner intimated they needed 8,000 at the new stadium to break even, so I guess he makes very big losses he can afford.

I note the poor crowd is excused, but would suggest that there are days when they have been playing OK, the sun is shining and the injury list nothing too bad yet only 3,000 turn up.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the keyboard warrior post, if you haven't the intellect to join the debate there's no need to have a go at me big man.

55102359.jpg

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

Wigan's crowd was 3k up and Salford's well down, so as far as the average acolytes are concerned we are as we were...

But which actually illustrates another point, that a useful way to look at crowds is on a club by club basis. Are the relevant levels of crowd a cause for concern or not? In Wakefield and Salford's case, almost certainly yes. For everyone else, almost certainly not, as they are either big enough on their own or when viewed in combination with the relative depth of pockets of their owners.

The tragic element to the crusade being waged here (unless it is an obscure exercise in performance "art"), is that the crowds are neither anything to be delighted with or despair over.

Eh?

Remember when RL gates were at their highest was when we had a single division. Isn't that where your logic is taking you?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Wigan's crowd was 3k up and Salford's well down, so as far as the average acolytes are concerned we are as we were...

But which actually illustrates another point, that a useful way to look at crowds is on a club by club basis. Are the relevant levels of crowd a cause for concern or not? In Wakefield and Salford's case, almost certainly yes. For everyone else, almost certainly not, as they are either big enough on their own or when viewed in combination with the relative depth of pockets of their owners.

The tragic element to the crusade being waged here (unless it is an obscure exercise in performance "art"), is that the crowds are neither anything to be delighted with or despair over.

Wigans crowd was up, but I noticed the north stand segregated, so was this a Heinz type offer?

Only ask, as bums on seats are good of course, but if its a free bum on a free seat then your very much as you were, it just looks good on paper and there maybe some long term benefit, although they don't call us "owt for nowters" for no reason!  ;)

The tragic element to the crusade being waged here  is that the crowds are neither anything to be delighted with or despair over.

It's tragic you don't/can't get it.

The "Crusade" if that is what it is is merely to demonstrate what information the RFL and their apologists feed you is not true and designed to dupe you.

No need to have a go at me if you don't understand it!

It's tragic you don't/can't get it.

The "Crusade" if that is what it is is merely to demonstrate what information the RFL and their apologists feed you is not true and designed to dupe you.

No need to have a go at me if you don't understand it!

It's classic parky.

Do you have a psychological urge to redefine others in an attempt at demeaning them while seemingly congratulating yourself within your own terms? Or is it an elaborate joke? I would have thought that anyone over the age of 6 could understand the points you are seeking to make. That doesn't mean of course that such 6 year old has to agree with the point or ascribe to it any significance. If only Paul Whitehouse were a leaguie he'd have a ready made new comic character.

Proposing?

It's as simple as this. The RFL and their apologists are pretending crowds are nicely up, but this 'ere simpleton has demonstrated they are not.

I am proposing that our game is an honest one, and there should be no room for Bull.

Bulls yes...

Honest ? In all ways , or just specifics ?

Like the ' honest ' licence appraisals ?

I sometimes when reading this forum get a strange sensational that a high degree of virtual bullying is going on.  Why do some have to turn to just denigrating others.  It says more about the person doing it then the person they seem to want to denigrate

1. I sometimes when reading this forum get a strange sensational that a high degree of virtual bullying is going on.  

2. Why do some have to turn to just denigrating others. 

3. It says more about the person doing it then the person they seem to want to denigrate

1. Keyboard Warriorship is an art form John.

2. It makes them feel superior in a negative way.

3. Sure does John, they're the smart guy in their own one man virtual world. 

Wigan had a large marketing campaign going on for this game. It was labelled as The Heritage Game and tied in with the VE Day celebrations.

If Wigan hadn't had a big push it would have been about 12k by my guessing.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wigan had a large marketing campaign going on for this game. It was labelled as The Heritage Game and tied in with the VE Day celebrations.

If Wigan hadn't had a big push it would have been about 12k by my guessing.

As, indeed, we do for a number of games every year. Which shows a straight line correlation between marketing and a good crowd. Maybe every club should be doing this...

As, indeed, we do for a number of games every year. Which shows a straight line correlation between marketing and a good crowd. Maybe every club should be doing this...

^^^^exactly^^^^^

Wigan and Hull FC always ran specials when London came to town and I believe Heinz are involved as a SL sponsor now as a direct result of a Wigan initiative a few years back.

8,178 average for this round, 580 less fans at the corresponding games last year......

^^^^exactly^^^^^

Wigan and Hull FC always ran specials when London came to town and I believe Heinz are involved as a SL sponsor now as a direct result of a Wigan initiative a few years back.

8,178 average for this round, 580 less fans at the corresponding games last year......

Worrying given what is , apart from Wakey a very competitive competition

Please go follow another sport and continually whinge about that one, over to you.

Please talk about the game and join the debate or go follow another sport and continually have a go at people who support that sport, and not the point of debate because it makes you feel big to be a keyboard warrior from your bedroom HQ like the rest of them above.

Maybe you don't understand the point/debate or don't wan't to as your interest really isn't the game..

As per the excellent posts above the positive way forward for crowds and attendances is to accept the limited appeal our game has and try to maximise that appeal through hard work and careful thought and planning. Effective marketing ploys need to be shared and tried widespread, competitiveness has to be improved on a regular basis, and financial security for all SL clubs achieved. It's not a long list sadly and it's not an easy point of debate as to how to maximise the paying crowds in our game.

Maybe that's why you and fellow bedroom Warriors prefer to just bait people.

But there is no excuse for RFL, Blake Solly and his apologists to just fiddle the figures and then go round claiming crowds are well up so everything is great now. Well done to Wigan for ignoring that and getting on with making the best of their business.

Maybe other clubs aren't doing that because RFL/Solly has given them an excuse not to bother. Anyway I'll stop there as I suspect your not bothered about the debate and are plotting your next cyber attack big man.

If these threads aren't designed to bait people by armchair warriors I don't know what are.

You haven't really posted anything this last few months that seriously engages with this discussion or any other come to that. We have a worry about paying crowds and a reduction in fans bothering to go to games. It's a further worry when the RFL fiddle the figures and announce tremendous improvements to attendances when they are not there.

I'm just letting people see the facts because too many of them just accept the lies and the PR machine Solly runs, now RLE journalists are swallowing it. I'm looking for people to debate what we can do positively and above all honestly to maximise the games paying crowds.

As above your record is just coming on here baiting me on the issue, I'd suspect you want me to have a go back at you and then the thread gets pulled by the Mods and you win your little battle. It's a debate that has gone on since the board started and will go on until the board closes down, please try to allow people to have this debate. Maybe even add a few genuine opinions of your own.

If these threads aren't designed to bait people by armchair warriors I don't know what are.

Indeed , as I put earlier , apart from Wakeys surrender we have a highly competitive SL this year , with it would seem every minute counting to every other team , and yet attendances are still struggling , but I doubt any of us can be sure of the reasons why

Just a case of all clubs needing to try harder

You haven't really posted anything this last few months that seriously engages with this discussion or any other come to that. We have a worry about paying crowds and a reduction in fans bothering to go to games. It's a further worry when the RFL fiddle the figures and announce tremendous improvements to attendances when they are not there.

I'm just letting people see the facts because too many of them just accept the lies and the PR machine Solly runs, now RLE journalists are swallowing it. I'm looking for people to debate what we can do positively and above all honestly to maximise the games paying crowds.

As above your record is just coming on here baiting me on the issue, I'd suspect you want me to have a go back at you and then the thread gets pulled by the Mods and you win your little battle. It's a debate that has gone on since the board started and will go on until the board closes down, please try to allow people to have this debate. Maybe even add a few genuine opinions of your own.

But when the ' debate ' becomes a " I know for a fact this is the reason , you're just club centric " circular argument , there really is no point

Yes the RFL ( Solly ) was wrong to start making claims after round 1 , but they will jump on any possible positive and try to talk up the changes they have made , anybody would

Bottom line is we have big problems to solve and nobody really knows how to do it

Archived