Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Labour leadership contest

Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the candidates would make you more likely to vote Labour if they win the leadership?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall
    • I would never vote Labour
  2. 2. Did you vote Labour in the 2015 General Election?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you have a vote in the Labour leadership election?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Who would you vote for in the Labour leadership election?

• Andy Burnham
    • Yvette Cooper
    • Jeremy Corbyn
    • Liz Kendall

Strictly speaking it isn't compulsory.

But when you're attending an event organised by the RAF charity to pay tribute to the fallen, and you're invited to represent not yourself, but a major political party, I think you probably should sing it out of respect to the context of that event.

I notice that Nicola Sturgeon sang the national anthem recently as the leader of the SNP, although I suspect she may have similar Republican views as Corbyn.

I disagree here. I don't expect an atheist to pray, at a remembrance service, I don't expect a republican to sing God Save The Queen. I feel respectful silence is best in those instances and joining in the honouring those past. Far better than acting and being a hypocrite.

As a Humanist who attends remembrance church services, I feel my lack of belief does not stop me from honouring those past, on such occasions, why should his republicanism be any different?

As a floating voter (the last conservative budge has just ensured I won't vote conservative) this doesn't worry me. His stance on trident... that's a different matter!

Strictly speaking it isn't compulsory.

But when you're attending an event organised by the RAF charity to pay tribute to the fallen, and you're invited to represent not yourself, but a major political party, I think you probably should sing it out of respect to the context of that event.

I notice that Nicola Sturgeon sang the national anthem recently as the leader of the SNP, although I suspect she may have similar Republican views as Corbyn.

Respectfully standing, in silence, perhaps remembering those who contributed to the war effort (as Corbyn stated he was doing) is surely as good as half-heartedly mouthing the words, particularly if you can't sing. I have stood for GSTQ many times but I haven't sung it since my school days. It just seems that recently the anthem has become a more patriotic-than-thou cosh to be used to beat people who don't conform to a new political correctness - see the recent Olympics for examples of witchunts against non-singers.

As for the SNP, as far as I'm aware they have always been, officially, a monarchist party. They do have many members and supporters who are republicans but the party recognises that independence/autonomy is the priority, and that the head of state is a matter for the people of Scotland to decide upon if and when they decide to regain their sovereignty.

It will come as no surprise to you that I don't attend many events where singing the national anthem is a thing. At Rugby League internationals, I am happy to sing along to Jerusalem and even Land of Hope and Glory (excepting the last line). I stand with respect for the opposition's national anthems, I even 'well up' to the Marseillaise, Flower of Scotland and Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. However, I make a point of sitting down when God Save the Queen is played. It is NOT a national anthem, it is am imperialistic, war mongering, xenophobic, anti-Scottish, eulogy to an unelected head of state implying divine right to rule. Give us a true anthem to the nation and I will stand and happily sing it with gusto!

Have I missed something, but didn't we win the Battle of Britain and the Second World war so that people with convictions and belief such as Corbyn's can do what they did, without attack, reprimand or punishment?

Surely the people being disrespectful to the RAF are those attacking Corbyn for his actions.

Sing or don't sing, I don't really give a stuff.

I sing sometimes, mainly for the occasion (I have sung it at internationals, but don't sing it at remembrance service.)  I do stand up however.

I'm more concerned about the inability to wear a tie correctly...  open neck OR a tie to the top...not something in between!   I don't see it as a threat to national security however...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I disagree here. I don't expect an atheist to pray, at a remembrance service, I don't expect a republican to sing God Save The Queen. I feel respectful silence is best in those instances and joining in the honouring those past. Far better than acting and being a hypocrite.

As a Humanist who attends remembrance church services, I feel my lack of belief does not stop me from honouring those past, on such occasions, why should his republicanism be any different?

As a floating voter (the last conservative budge has just ensured I won't vote conservative) this doesn't worry me. His stance on trident... that's a different matter!

That's perfectly fine when you're representing no one but yourself.

When you're representing a wider organisation you would, I hope, take into account those who you represent.

Have I missed something, but didn't we win the Battle of Britain and the Second World war so that people with convictions and belief such as Corbyn's can do what they did, without attack, reprimand or punishment?

Surely the people being disrespectful to the RAF are those attacking Corbyn for his actions.

Precisely, and no one is proposing that Corbyn should be punished for not singing GSTQ, which is admittedly a dreadful dirge.

But he wasn't invited to that service as Jeremy Corbyn the individual, but as Jeremy Corbyn the leader of the Labour Party.

As a private individual he is perfectly entitled not to sing the national anthem.

I'm merely questioning whether, when acting as a representative in a ceremony at which the anthem was sung, he should pursue his own agenda or that of the organisation he represents.

That's perfectly fine when you're representing no one but yourself.

When you're representing a wider organisation you would, I hope, take into account those who you represent.

So you would argue that, were I representing, say my mum, who is a Christian (and can't get to church because of her MS), I should pretend I'm praying?

I prefer being true to my principles to mocking others beliefs by pretending. Same here! Although I am a royalist other people's opinions on the Royals bothers me as much as other people's views on religion, which is not at all.

Danczuk was on the radio this morning deriding Corbyn.  Said not singing the anthem would go down badly in Rochdale...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Prime Minister's Questions was very interesting today.

Corbyn declared he wanted a new style of PMQs, and asked questions that had been emailed to him by various people from around the country, mentioning the name of the person whose question he was asking.

I actually thought it was quite effective.

And it made Cameron behave much better than normal, moving away from the bullying style that he often used to adopt with Miliband.

It made both party leaders seem almost human.

I'm more concerned about the inability to wear a tie correctly...  open neck OR a tie to the top...not something in between!

It was the first thing I noticed when I saw the pictures; scruffy sod! :)

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/kingslynnblackknights/

Precisely, and no one is proposing that Corbyn should be punished for not singing GSTQ, which is admittedly a dreadful dirge.

But he wasn't invited to that service as Jeremy Corbyn the individual, but as Jeremy Corbyn the leader of the Labour Party.

As a private individual he is perfectly entitled not to sing the national anthem.

I'm merely questioning whether, when acting as a representative in a ceremony at which the anthem was sung, he should pursue his own agenda or that of the organisation he represents.

Fine, If the complaints were solely from the Labour Party, then your point is valid. However this is not the case, he is being personally attacked for his convictions and beliefs. Let's not forget that he didn't disrespect other people's convictions who sang the hymn, he just remains silent. So why can't people respect his?

Fine, If the complaints were solely from the Labour Party, then your point is valid. However this is not the case, he is being personally attacked for his convictions and beliefs. Let's not forget that he didn't disrespect other people's convictions who sang the hymn, he just remains silent. So why can't people respect his?

The Labour Party has now confirmed that its leader will sing the national anthem at future events where singing the anthem is appropriate.

Corbyn declared he wanted a new style of PMQs, and asked questions that had been emailed to him by various people from around the country, mentioning the name of the person whose question he was asking.

And it made Cameron behave much better than normal, moving away from the bullying style that he often used to adopt with Miliband.

Cameron was playing nice because it was his first time.

Corbyn's effort is just a gimmick with no legs.  Labour candidates often used the 'I've had hundreds of emails from concerned citizens' line in the lead up to the election.

Not singing GSTQ is disrespectful, but hacking the royal family's phones is perfectly fine.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Actually it doesn't depend on anything.

Praising the IRA for using bombs and bullets against his own country is wrong in any context.

And what referendum are you referring to?

Except of course the republicans don't regard the UK as their country.  They regard Northern Ireland as part of their country occupied by a foreign country.  26 counties were for home rule, 6 against.  I don't praise or condone what they did, but the actions of successive British Governments, and Stormont Governments were what caused the trouble.  The Orangemen said Ulster will fight and Ulster will be right"  Northern Ireland is not even all of UIster.  It has gerrymandered borders in order ensure a permanent protestant majority.  That was the cause of the troubles.  And because Ken Livingstone, John McDonnell and Jeremy Corbyn have been brave enough to say as much their words have been twisted and taken out of context by the Tory papers  

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

The Labour Party has now confirmed that its leader will sing the national anthem at future events where singing the anthem is appropriate.

More fool them!  It's a ###### anthem with a ###### tune and ###### words!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

It will come as no surprise to you that I don't attend many events where singing the national anthem is a thing. At Rugby League internationals, I am happy to sing along to Jerusalem and even Land of Hope and Glory (excepting the last line). I stand with respect for the opposition's national anthems, I even 'well up' to the Marseillaise, Flower of Scotland and Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. However, I make a point of sitting down when God Save the Queen is played. It is NOT a national anthem, it is am imperialistic, war mongering, xenophobic, anti-Scottish, eulogy to an unelected head of state implying divine right to rule. Give us a true anthem to the nation and I will stand and happily sing it with gusto!

For me Rule Britannia with its "Britons never shall be slaves" line fills the bill for me. I hate Land of Hope and Glory.

Clement Attlee.

Like I've said before, if Corbyn has anywhere near the integrity his acolytes believe he has he will step down if it becomes apparent that the party is hemorrhaging support amongst the general public.

hasn't labour had going on 20,000 new members sign up since he was elected? Edited by Robin Evans

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

Corbyn's effort is just a gimmick with no legs.  Labour candidates often used the 'I've had hundreds of emails from concerned citizens' line in the lead up to the election.

First time Prime Minister's Feeding Time (or "JC/DC", as some wag has dubbed the new era) is often a lot less shouty and childish than the inevitable following ones.

And as for national anthems,

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

I watched it today, and whilst very civil, it can't continue, not if the PM is to be held to account, felt like he was getting a free hit today.

Also thought Cameron bringing everything back to the economey came across as wooden, scripted and weak in reply to pretty much every question bare the one about the tiger!

I thought Cameron was rather mild today

Yeah its definitely a gimmick, in fact quite amateurish.

But early days for both combatants, looking forward to the next instalments.

JC's choice of shadow chancellor is a disgrace, with JC's "friends" and the shadow chancellors IRA love in, I can see a lot of the senior generation giving Labour a wide berth.

I've no problem with his none singing episode, that's his choice and as a republican why should he sing, it would be hypocritical.

Loved his suit though(man at Matalan) I've got a similar one

I thought it was quite grown up and also an attempt at nullifying DC at PMQs. As PM he gets the final say , he is also quick witted JC has pulled him out of his area of strength. Neither really won but the questions were good and why shouldn't the questions be from the general public ? Those in the house are our representatives .

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

Corbyn's first interview as Labour leader:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Corbyn's first interview as Labour leader:

"Of course I love my country.... I just have lots of friends who like to murder its citizens"

This is captain Juncker speaking. The EU gravy train is about to enter Brussels, so will all Brits please exit at the next stop

To all remaining passengers, thank you for your continued custom and contributions to my pension fund

Kind Regards - YOUR PRESIDENT !