Sign in to follow this  
bobbruce

Marquee players

Ben Te'o would be a great signing, Top bloke & beast of a player wasting away in Ireland atm. 

SBW is a real chance if the price is rite & would no doubt bring success to any club who could land him, The guy is a winner. Ben Barba would be a clever signing for a Wigan,Leeds, Saints or even Cas he just needs to get away from the NRL and if he even got back close to his 2012 form people would flock to watch him play. Sam Burgess is no chance IMO given Souths have first 7 last option on him if he decided to leave that other "Sport", Given his hero stature at the Rabbits I'm confident the bosses would move heaven and earth to get him back.

Ben Barba to Cas sounds good to me ;), bank manager might not agree!

Good call though would he a very exciting signing for SL.

I think this is a positive for Super League. Put simply, they had to do something to give the clubs that can afford it the chance to at least compete to recruit and retain some of world rugby's big stars. I'd love to see the likes of Kyle Eastmond and Sam Burgess back in league and think these would be massive recruits for Super League and the England team. This rule at least raises the chance that this could happen.

Over the next few years the ageing stars of Australia's team will all start looking to Super League to finish their careers. As always with older recruits, some will succeed and others will flop...but whichever way they go, they do bring interest and attention. 

By 2017, it wouldn't be a surprise to see a lot of these guys in Super League: Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Paul Gallen, Justin Hodges, Corey Parker, Luke Lewis. I also think older Kiwi forwards like Frank Pritchard, Sam Kasiano, Greg Eastwood etc. could all look to come over, particularly if the NRL reduces the number of interchanges. 

SBW has to be a goal. He's the essence of the League player. Can do anything, can create something out of nothing, can break the line, can score, can put the big hit, can rip Bailey's head off. 

Close to perfect.

Akuila Uate would be a good target given Newcastle have the Mata'utia brothers. The other mark would be to go for Cameron Munster & Billy Slater, Make Melbourne decide who they want and take the other it's win win as one is a star and the other will be.

Paul Gallen could be at Salford next season http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/salford-red-devils-linked-aussie-9461730. I think it's fair to say this would be an excellent Marquee signing and isn't one of those washed up Aussies!

Looks like we'll find out pretty soon.

Other names in the frame are Dave Taylor and Marty Taupau. Their dreams are china in his hands.

To be honest, the best signing he could make would be a CEO with experience of running a successful sporting organisation, but never mind.

Should be an interesting press conference, neatly tying together a number of recent threads on here.

Note to Anti-Marwanites: the structure of the article - short paragraphs, like I've tried to do here - seems to be down to whoever puts it on-line and not Marwan or, to be fair, Neil Barker.

Paul Gallen could be at Salford next season http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/salford-red-devils-linked-aussie-9461730. I think it's fair to say this would be an excellent Marquee signing and isn't one of those washed up Aussies!

Have to disagree completely Southerner the fact is he is a mid 30's racist fowl mouthed drug cheat & there's nothing Marquee about that in my books. I think the only two real Marquee signings available for 2016 are Dave Taylor & Chris Sandow.

Have to disagree completely Southerner the fact is he is a mid 30's racist fowl mouthed drug cheat & there's nothing Marquee about that in my books. I think the only two real Marquee signings available for 2016 are Dave Taylor & Chris Sandow.

As in - "you eff ing chicken"!

If a 33 year old current Captain of NSW Origin team with a proven big motor is not a marquee player then I don't know what is.

Gallen is a fantastic competitor and unlike some that move here to wind up their careers I can not imagine him not giving his everything every game.

Any team in the World would want him.

Gallen has slightly more runs on the board than the other two that frequently are inconsistent under achievers throughout their careers that have not lived up to their potential.

Gallen is supposed to be on a $650k contract at the Sharks, I am thinking it would take 30% more than that to get him to Super League or a longer contract at similar money than he will get from an NRL Club, 3-4 years maybe.

Edited by Allora

KC has made Saints' position very clear on this today:

"I have said before that I would never use the marquee player money to sign an overseas player. It goes against my ethics as a home grown player and a coach."

"We have an abundance of talent in the 19s and I believe home grown players should get the money."

"I have said before that I would never use the marquee player money to sign an overseas player. It goes against my ethics as a home grown player and a coach."

"We have an abundance of talent in the 19s and I believe home grown players should get the money."

Saints have a history as much as any SL Club of importing "star players" 

Several of the current squad are imports.

Edited by Allora

What a strange thing to say. Saints have a history of some great overseas players, including Mal Meninga and Jamie Lyon - if a world class player like those became available, why rule yourself out of signing them?

Though to play devil's advocate, presumably he would retract this if Roby goes to the NRL?

Presumably he cries real tears as he writes 6 Burns 7 Walsh?

Lol.

In all this talk of signing this player from the NRL and that Union international am I the only one who thinks this could be a case of be careful what you wish for.

Ultimately the NRL and English Union sign players from super league because they're both vastly wealthier competitions and a marquee player in the salary cap doesn't change the under lying problem.

The idea that those comps will just sit on their hands and allow themselves to lose high profile assets to a comp both the NRL and English Union can financially blow out the water seems a touch naive.

Is no one else concerned that super league has just started a financial war in which it's massively out gunned? Am I the only one who could see Union in particular following a you sign one of ours well sign four of yours approach?

I very much agree with the above. 

Going for players like Billy Slater or Greg Inglis towards the end the their careers is the way to go. Big name players from the NRL who want to experience another league and culture before retiring.

Not sure what the point is going for RU players. Someone mentioned Danny Cipriani who would have to be paid massive bucks to even consider switching and even if he did would he be any good, would it be a wise investment? I reckon he'd be far too soft and not fit enough for RL. Sam Burgess would have to be bought out of his massive contract if any super league club want him before 2017 as he's contracted to Bath till then. It will be the 2018 season before he is freed from union. Even with the Marquee signing I don't think it will be enough to tempt any England RU senior players away as there on a packet already. People need to think wisely here.

Theres spending money on good players who will significantly add to a team then theres throwing money away.   

Edited by leagueman123

I dont think any team has the money available to sign someone like Ingles, Cronk or Thurston who imo will be earning around 500k.

Teams like Wigan Warrington Salford etc would probably be willing to pay 300k for a marquee signing which would only be enough for a good nrl player or an ageing marquee nrl signing.

I think we're going to get good players but players that aren't getting selected for international or even origin.

What a strange thing to say. Saints have a history of some great overseas players, including Mal Meninga and Jamie Lyon - if a world class player like those became available, why rule yourself out of signing them?

Not a strange thing to say at all. Saints do have a history of signing great overseas players. But was Jamie Lyon, to use your example, on £500,000 plus a year? The answer is no. He was on a salary that fitted within the salary cap. He was not being paid 2 or 3 times the amount of the next highest paid player at the club.

Eamonn McManus has stated on numerous occasions that he would never sign an overseas player and pay him an enormous amount of money. Not because he or the clubs directors couldn't afford it, but because it is unfair, and in his own words: "it would p*** off the other players at the club".

He has 11 or 12 years worth of experience of managing the clubs overall wage structure and maintaining a healthly balance within it. Saints will always have good, quality overseas players in the squad, but not at the expense of our youth development and promotion.

Though to play devil's advocate, presumably he would retract this if Roby goes to the NRL?

Presumably he cries real tears as he writes 6 Burns 7 Walsh?

Lol.

Roby isn't going to the NRL. Sorry to disappoint you.

Some clubs have to sell off their best players in order to generate income. It is usually because they don't have their own stadium and so therefore have to pay rent to play in a football ground. Other clubs have the luxury of being able to retain their top players.

Burns and Walsh both fit within the current salary cap and their signings have not hindered the club's ability to promote some top class academy players into the first team. That is the point that you clearly don't understand, but I am glad I have cleared it up for you.

Lol.

In a way it's a shame Saints are only a league club - such selfless vision - think of the kids - maybe in a crazy sort of way the whole world should learn from them.