Were Gloucester good or were we bad ?

Shipbuilder

We were poor mate a win is a win but we are struggling at the minute

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

Got to agree, this was our worst performance this season. they had some big guys in their pack, so why did we keep trying to drive up the middle ? When we did move the ball about, we scored tries.

The officials were simply awful by the way.

They had a game plan and stuck to it.

We were not smart enough. They slowed down our PTB and we didn't do the same to them. apartt from Luptons try I' m struggling to think of another clean break down the middle. With most of our tries coming down the wings it was pretty clear that the way to beat them was by throwing the ball around and beating them by playing open rugby.

So we were pretty naïve in letting them control the game.

The good news was we did enough to win. We upped the intensity in the second half when we needed to.

Shane Toal is settling down really well.

We need to be planning for next year now.

Lupton is off to the USA and we will need someone with his guile and experience to replace him. Wards kicking at goal isn't good enough, he can do do it as shown with his last conversion which sealed the win. But he isn't consistent enough.

The BOD have got to get Bullock on board permanently. I don't know if Harrison will go another year, I hope he does but he isn't the force he was.

Basically the team isn't good enough to challenge for promotion and I think we may need to spend a bit on finding someone with the experience and nouse to read them game and direct us around the park.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Alias were not saying we are doomed or anything like that just stating (in our opinions) that tonights display was poor.

Lee Morton

I can only really echo what has already been said, but we have no leadership on the field, Liam Harrison is supposed to be captain his job is to see whats going on on the pitch and adjust the gameplan to suit and to lead the others ......hes the quietest man on the pitch!!! we need a leader on the pitch not just in the dressing room at half time coming from Cresta.

With regards to young Josh`s kicking  and the lack of another kicker  , is there any chance hat it could be in the terms of him being at barrow from Leigh that he has to kick ?  I actually thought he had improved massively of late but i`ve still never been convinced he`s powerful or consistant  enough for the job 

With regards to young Josh`s kicking and the lack of another kicker , is there any chance hat it could be in the terms of him being at barrow from Leigh that he has to kick ? I actually thought he had improved massively of late but i`ve still never been convinced he`s powerful or consistant enough for the job

June 15th 2015 Top points scorers in league 1.

1. Josh Ward (Barrow) 106

2. Paul Crook (Rochdale) 99

3. Lewis Palfrey (Oldham) 99

4. Matt Bradley (Gloucs AG) 92

5. Paul Handforth (Keighley) 78

6. Ben Dent (York) 76

7. Tommy Johnson (N Wales) 72

8. Chris Atkin (Swinton) 56

9. Matty Beharrell (Newcastle) 54

10. Ben White (Swinton) 51

GOALS

Josh Ward (Barrow) 47

Lewis Palfrey (Oldham) 41

Matt Bradley (Gloucs AG) 36

Tommy Johnson (N Wales) 32

Paul Crook (Rochdale) 31

Ben Dent (York) 30

Matty Beharrell (Newcastle) 23

Chris Atkin (Swinton)

See what you mean though . Not consistent at all

Josh Ward's kicking wasn't so bad.

He's not Ian Ball or Jamie Rooney so get used to it, a few of our tries ( Shane Toals') were on the far right wing, the worst side for Josh. His kicking for touch was generally o.k. and safe.

Biggest problem I have with Josh - and the other half backs and hooker - the ball is not moved quickly enough, nothing is really created we end up just driving down the middle.

Shipbuilider01.png

Josh Ward's kicking wasn't so bad.

He's not Ian Ball or Jamie Rooney so get used to it, a few of our tries ( Shane Toals') were on the far right wing, the worst side for Josh. His kicking for touch was generally o.k. and safe.

Biggest problem I have with Josh - and the other half backs and hooker - the ball is not moved quickly enough, nothing is really created we end up just driving down the middle.

I think your right, Josh Ward is fine, I also agree about moving the ball, quite often the passes are on the high side, and the player receiving has to reach up and the momentum is gone, having said that I am happy with the teams progress, Gloucester are a good team, and some of their moves and kicks were impressive, I also noticed today, newcastle struggled in London, I think we should be happy with our progress, and the fact we are still in the mix, I certainly would not write us off yet.

we were very poor 1st half with a lot of schoolboy errors handing possession back to the opposition but we improved in the second half and did enough to secure the points.  we wont get away with it against newcastle this week if we play that badly so big improvement all round is needed. one plus point for me was the team spirit shown near the end when almost every player combined to push the ball carrier back behind the line to secure a drop out. that kind of commitment will stand us in good stead for the rest of the season and yes we can win the league if our early season performances return for the rest of the season

With regards to young Josh`s kicking and the lack of another kicker , is there any chance hat it could be in the terms of him being at barrow from Leigh that he has to kick ? I actually thought he had improved massively of late but i`ve still never been convinced he`s powerful or consistant enough for the job

June 15th 2015 Top points scorers in league 1.

1. Josh Ward (Barrow) 106

2. Paul Crook (Rochdale) 99

3. Lewis Palfrey (Oldham) 99

4. Matt Bradley (Gloucs AG) 92

5. Paul Handforth (Keighley) 78

6. Ben Dent (York) 76

7. Tommy Johnson (N Wales) 72

8. Chris Atkin (Swinton) 56

9. Matty Beharrell (Newcastle) 54

10. Ben White (Swinton) 51

GOALS

Josh Ward (Barrow) 47

Lewis Palfrey (Oldham) 41

Matt Bradley (Gloucs AG) 36

Tommy Johnson (N Wales) 32

Paul Crook (Rochdale) 31

Ben Dent (York) 30

Matty Beharrell (Newcastle) 23

Chris Atkin (Swinton)

See what you mean though . Not consistent at all

That's pretty telling, I hadn't realised.

I stand corrected.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

The Fact that the figures speak for themselves  I also stand corrected and can only comment on what I see and feel while I`m at the game , I'm no way trying to give the lad a hard time, but without the figures shown I`m not the only one to be thinking what I was.

Josh is a young lad and his kicking will only improve ... theres a hell of a lot of pressure on the kicker as in a tight game a kick either way is all that may be in it. Confidence is a big thing as well...if you miss your 1st 3 kicks in a game the pressure to kick the next builds etc.

I think we are a good side and on our day we can beat anyone in this league home or away BUT we are a long way off Championship standard yet. We need time to build this young side into a one that can go up and stay up and not get hammered the way the lower sides in the championship are against the Leighs and Bradfords!!

Lee Morton

Josh is a young lad and his kicking will only improve ... theres a hell of a lot of pressure on the kicker as in a tight game a kick either way is all that may be in it. Confidence is a big thing as well...if you miss your 1st 3 kicks in a game the pressure to kick the next builds etc.

I think we are a good side and on our day we can beat anyone in this league home or away BUT we are a long way off Championship standard yet. We need time to build this young side into a one that can go up and stay up and not get hammered the way the lower sides in the championship are against the Leighs and Bradfords!!

Spot on.

Archived