Could P & R be against Leigh's interests?

RS

Neil Hudgell explained clearly, during a period SL were being lambasted for being a small game in heavy debt that a cut in the number of FT clubs was all about the money. Were you not following events?

1. You didn't, you should know that Craiq did were you not following events

2. Yes but inside SL there's Wakefield struggling badly to be a Full time team on a lower salary cap of £1.5M.

3. Then in CC there are two full time teams of salary spend way lower than that. £1M

So if we go for 20 FT clubs 2x10 SL then we will have 10 clubs on £1.8M, but I very much doubt  the gates in SL2 will enable the next four to spend anywhere near the same.

After that your asking Fev Fax Shefield Dewsbury and Batley to find £Millions and go full time.

I went to Batley to watch them play London before a few hundred the other week. Suggestions like 2x10 SL1 & SL2 made with no explanation of how it would be financed (take a £Million of Leeds and give that to Batley perhaps?) isn't a debate.

But it's craiq whose suggesting it and it's craiq who won't back his "Full time in SL on 5,000 crowds"

Meanwhile back in reality land RFL have cut SL to 8 clubs in reality.You may be able to better grasp this once the leagues are split.

I do believe that Craiq was eluding to 5000 home supporters, surely the numbers of the visiting supporters would increase the attendance and with Wigan Saints and Wire being within 10 miles they would increase significantly.

I have never seen any figures and I don't know if any guesstimates exist, perhaps supporters of SL clubs who travel 'away' consistently could offer some average figures for their clubs travelling fans?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neil Hudgell explained clearly, during a period SL were being lambasted for being a small game in heavy debt that a cut in the number of FT clubs was all about the money. Were you not following events?

1. You didn't, you should know that Craiq did were you not following events

2. Yes but inside SL there's Wakefield struggling badly to be a Full time team on a lower salary cap of £1.5M.

3. Then in CC there are two full time teams of salary spend way lower than that. £1M

So if we go for 20 FT clubs 2x10 SL then we will have 10 clubs on £1.8M, but I very much doubt the gates in SL2 will enable the next four to spend anywhere near the same.

After that your asking Fev Fax Shefield Dewsbury and Batley to find £Millions and go full time.

I went to Batley to watch them play London before a few hundred the other week. Suggestions like 2x10 SL1 & SL2 made with no explanation of how it would be financed (take a £Million of Leeds and give that to Batley perhaps?) isn't a debate.

But it's craiq whose suggesting it and it's craiq who won't back his "Full time in SL on 5,000 crowds"

Meanwhile back in reality land RFL have cut SL to 8 clubs in reality.You may be able to better grasp this once the leagues are split.

1. Has the number of ft clubs actually reduced? Also, can you tell me where that quote is

2. The question was clearly levelled at me, even though I was not quoted. Why should I defend someone else's hypothesis?

The point being discussed is , how much does it cost to run a full time team of say 28 RL players ?

I'd suggest around 800K

To run a competitive team in SL requires at least the max salary cap , ie 1.8 million

The suggestion is a SL of 10 operating at say 2 million salary cap , and a 2 nd tier operating at 1 million salary cap

I do believe that Craiq was eluding to 5000 home supporters, surely the numbers of the visiting supporters would increase the attendance and with Wigan Saints and Wire being within 10 miles they would increase significantly.

Been here before Gary

Leigh's last SL campaign and also Salford/Widnes SL attendances show that big numbers of away fans just don't travel to these places much.

I think we have to use facts & figures

I can't see why Leigh can't survive and be competitive on a 5000 gate taking, Cronulla wouldn't average much more (Perhaps 6000) in the NRL where the rich clubs are very rich and the cap is a lot bigger.

The point being discussed is , how much does it cost to run a full time team of say 28 RL players ?

I'd suggest around 800K

To run a competitive team in SL requires at least the max salary cap , ie 1.8 million

The suggestion is a SL of 10 operating at say 2 million salary cap , and a 2 nd tier operating at 1 million salary cap

£800k? That's an average cost per player of £28.5k.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

I'd suggest around 800K

a team on 800k wouldn't be a very good team.

I can't see why Leigh can't survive and be competitive on a 5000 gate taking, Cronulla wouldn't average much more (Perhaps 6000) in the NRL where the rich clubs are very rich and the cap is a lot bigger.

Cronulla averaged nearly 13k last year.

If Leigh qualify for S/L good luck to them, they will have earned the right to try their hand. As for people saying they wont survive who knows? I certainly think they will awake a few from a sleep they've been in for a few years.

Knottla, do you not realise that it is not fashionable to say anything positive regarding Leigh on these pages if you don't come from Leigh, it is tantamount to heracy, get thee behind me Satan and off with your head.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Easy , Celtic Crusaders managed to run full time including houses and cars for the players as well as signing a recent SOO player all on 150 K , if they can do that running at full cap for Leigh will be a dodle

The question was about Leigh, maybe you missed that. HOw are LEIGH going to do it, saying another club did it and adding a load of unfounded accusations doesn't answer the question about LEIGH.

How are LEIGH going to do it. Answer please about LEIGH, not Toulouse, Salford, Wakefield Scunthorpe, Gateshead etc. LEIGH.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Knottla, do you not realise that it is not fashionable to say anything positive regarding Leigh on these pages if you don't come from Leigh, it is tantamount to heracy, get thee behind me Satan and off with your head.

:( Oh dear, you getting an attack of paranoia Gary?

Sometimes you've got to take your rose tinted glasses off and acknowledge another teams achievements, even if it is through gritted teeth.

Everyone on here has of course congratulated Leigh for their achievement of getting to be top dog in the Championship and doing that despite London and Bradford dropping down. Everyone has been thrilled by Leigh's cup performances too.

Nobody has "gritted teeth" about Leigh.

You can't blame Leigh fans for coming on "these pages" and celebrating the above, and when they have, people have been decent about it.

What spoils it is the boasting that Leigh have an ability to attract 10K crowds but even if they don't they are able to  compete in SL on 5K crowds, that they will continue to grow regardless of whether they get promoted or not, and if they do the "eight" will be attainable first SL season in etc etc etc.

That's bound to attract a "reaction" isn't it??

No big deal and par for the course, heard the same stuff from Fev fans who have mainly stopped posting now "Faisal" has gone. 

The question was about Leigh, maybe you missed that. HOw are LEIGH going to do it, saying another club did it and adding a load of unfounded accusations doesn't answer the question about LEIGH.

How are LEIGH going to do it. Answer please about LEIGH, not Toulouse, Salford, Wakefield Scunthorpe, Gateshead etc. LEIGH.

No , who put you in charge ?

You explain the Celtic conundrum 1 st , and I'll explain how a LEIGH team could operate at full salary cap spend in SL

Okydoky

Everyone on here has of course congratulated Leigh for their achievement of getting to be top dog in the Championship and doing that despite London and Bradford dropping down. Everyone has been thrilled by Leigh's cup performances too.

You can't blame Leigh fans for coming on "these pages" and celebrating the above, and when they have, people have been decent about it.

What spoils it is the boasting that Leigh have an ability to attract 10K crowds but even if they don't they are able to  compete in SL on 5K crowds, that they will continue to grow regardless of whether they get promoted or not, and if they do the "eight" will be attainable first SL season in etc etc etc.

No big deal and par for the course, heard the same stuff from Fev fans who have mainly stopped posting now "Faisal" has gone.

Not much boasting really , probably much less than the guaranteed assertions by some that Toulouse WILL be a top SL team , despite nothing in their past suggesting so

No paranoia Parky just an observation which Knottla obviously agrees with.

You must have me mixed up with some other poster, never once have I stated that Leigh will progress to SL, that is my aspiration they will do so, all along I have stated that the odds are stacked in the SL clubs favour and if any team gains promotion they are to be applauded, while on the other hand if any team should be relegated they would only have themselves to blame, no excuses should be offered or sought.

Cronulla averaged nearly 13k last year.

Not saying your wrong but i'm doubtful, do you have any stats to back that up? I can't recall to many game where Cronulla got 13,000 since the 90's but I can think of plenty much lower. 

You must have me mixed up with some other poster, never once have I stated that Leigh will progress to SL, that is my aspiration they will do so, all along I have stated that the odds are stacked in the SL clubs favour and if any team gains promotion they are to be applauded, while on the other hand if any team should be relegated they would only have themselves to blame, no excuses should be offered or sought.

I know exactly your sensible and realistic and interesting views.

I know you are disheartened by things said about Leigh in reaction to daft things overenthusiastic Leigh fans come on here and say.

"Some other posters" is quite right.

No , who put you in charge ?

You explain the Celtic conundrum 1 st , and I'll explain how a LEIGH team could operate at full salary cap spend in SL

Okydoky

What is the Celtic conundrum, I have never heard of it. Just answer the bloody question.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived