Draw and Venues for European Championship announced

Release just came out:

Oct 16: Wales v Scotland - Wrexham

Oct 17: France v Ireland - Albi

Oct 23: Scotland v Ireland - Galashiels

Oct 31: Wales v France - Cardiff

Nov 7: France v Scotland - Avignon

Nov 7: Ireland v Wales - Bray

Glad to see two games in France this year. Will help tournament crowds.

Also glad to see Wales finally taking a European Championship game to Cardiff.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Just hope John Kear can call on all his Super League players and make Wales competitive not like last time .

Cardiff Arms Park for the Wales v France clash.  Considering all the events the RFL have taken to Cardiff over the past decade (Challenge Cup Finals, Millennium Magic, World Cup Opener), they should have a pretty comprehensive database of Cardiff and surrounds locals to hit up for the game.

If they do the marketing right, surely they can look to get a reasonable crowd into the venue.

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

At the risk of being tarred and feathered on this board am I the only one who thinks playing Wales v France on the day of the Union World Cup Final not the brightest of moves..

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Also, I don't think it should be called the European Championship as that would suggest it's the pinnacle of the European game when it isn't.

Would like to see a proper a Euro Champ though with England in it.

Agree on the point about same day RWC final. Although I guess your always up against something. A bit like the SL GF and the Eng vs Uruguay RWC match both being in Manc on the same day.

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

At the risk of being tarred and feathered on this board am I the only one who thinks playing Wales v France on the day of the Union World Cup Final not the brightest of moves..

Trying to get a RU country to support RL and clashing with the RU is purely idiotic. Why not have it the day before if there was no other events on in Arms Park and not clash with the RUWC Final. 

And a Friday night game for Scotland will mean theres no travelling support.

Also Ireland playing in Bray is a joke, the game should be in Dublin the capital city. How can the game grow when its played in towns like this. Sorry for being overly negative but I sometimes wonder is there a thought process in all of this.

Trying to get a RU country to support RL and clashing with the RU is purely idiotic. Why not have it the day before if there was no other events on in Arms Park and not clash with the RUWC Final.

Also Ireland playing in Bray is a joke, the game should be in Dublin the capital city. How can the game grow when its played in towns like this. Sorry for being overly negative but I sometimes wonder is there a thought process in all of this.

...bray is like 5 mins from Dublin City on train about 25-30 euro in taxi ...at yesterday's (Ireland vs Belgium game)official tickets sold was 975...under 16's .students and oap's free ..which brought the crowd up to just ove 2k...unofficially the biggest non competitive crowd in rugby league Ireland history

What 5 minutes?! It takes 45 minutes from Dublin city centre and you have to get there first.

I've never ever had a taxi in Dublin that cheap. The taxi to bray costs €65-70.

Try getting people on a cold miserable novembers day in Bray. That game would have been better off in tallaght.

I agree that Tallaght would be better but I think the move to Bray was related to the McGettigans sponsorship (they own the Royal Hotel in Bray). Tallaght isn't exactly handy either although the stadium is perfect. Ideally I'd like to see Ireland RL play somewhere like Dalymount.

How much travelling support were you expecting for Wales v Scotland? Or Scotland v Ireland which is also Friday night?

I imagine a fair amount of thought has gone into this. Cardiff Arms Park availability is presumably dependent on Cardiff Blues & Cardiff RFC - it may be that the date of the RU World Cup is the only one which is guaranteed free this far ahead?  Bray is rather closer to the capital of Ireland than Albi, Avignon, Wrexham or Gala are to their respective capitals?

How much travelling support were you expecting for Wales v Scotland? Or Scotland v Ireland which is also Friday night?

I imagine a fair amount of thought has gone into this. Cardiff Arms Park availability is presumably dependent on Cardiff Blues & Cardiff RFC - it may be that the date of the RU World Cup is the only one which is guaranteed free this far ahead? Bray is rather closer to the capital of Ireland than Albi, Avignon, Wrexham or Gala are to their respective capitals?

I believe the RL is a 1:30 kick off, the union final is a 4:00 kick off... Arms Park being in the city centre I think it's a decent move. Plenty of RU punters in town, get them in on the cheap then they can flood out in time for the RUWC final.

What 5 minutes?! It takes 45 minutes from Dublin city centre and you have to get there first.

I've never ever had a taxi in Dublin that cheap. The taxi to bray costs €65-70.

Try getting people on a cold miserable novembers day in Bray. That game would have been better off in tallaght.

...oh ok ...

I imagine a fair amount of thought has gone into this. Cardiff Arms Park availability is presumably dependent on Cardiff Blues & Cardiff RFC - it may be that the date of the RU World Cup is the only one which is guaranteed free this far ahead?  Bray is rather closer to the capital of Ireland than Albi, Avignon, Wrexham or Gala are to their respective capitals?

The difference is that Albi, Avignon and Wrexham are, relatively speaking, rugby league areas. That's not the case with Bray or anywhere in Ireland really so we need to be closer to the city to attract the largest number of curious first-timers. One argument in favour of Bray is that it's quite a nice seaside town and would be a great spot for travelling fans. As mentioned before though it's not like there will be hoards of travelling fans...

Sometimes the benefits you get in a small town like Bray, is way better financially and Promotion wise, than in a big City which has numerous Events on and a RL International is somewhere down the list of the media and peoples thoughts. Holding it in Bray it will be the Highlight of the week in the town and the local media are likely to promote it better than the media in Dublin probably would. Also the cost of hiring a Stadium maybe alot cheaper than in Dublin. Sometimes you have to think why something has been done, rather than just criticise decisions made.

I'm not criticizing the decision, I've already mentioned that I think the move to Bray was likely related to the new sponsorship deal. I also agree with your points about the benefits of holding it in a small town. We can accept all of that and still discuss whether or not there are better options.

Wrexham is a good idea for the game, not a stronghold of rugby union, when Wales play at Wexham u get a lot of Super League fans coming to watch the game when there players are involved, swelling the crowd. in the world cup there were shirts from all over rugby league watching the games at Wrexham,  super league championship and champonship one as well as welsh fans.

Wrexham is a good idea for the game, not a stronghold of rugby union, when Wales play at Wexham u get a lot of Super League fans coming to watch the game when there players are involved, swelling the crowd. in the world cup there were shirts from all over rugby league watching the games at Wrexham,  super league championship and champonship one as well as welsh fans.

I like the sentiment, but we will struggle to get 3,000 in the Racecourse on a cold Friday night. WRL marketing (or lack of) leaves a lot to be desired. It was great to see a great crowd for the match at the RLWC, but I think that was more down to it being a special occasion and the council's efforts.

Hope I'm proved wrong mind!

Hoping the game at the Arms Park is well publicised and as long as Wales aren't also in the RUWC final, or CCAFC playing at home on the same day I think it could attract half decent numbers, it's had some good crowds for rugby league already this year.

CARDIFF CITY RUGBY LEAGUE FOOTBALL CLUB cardiffrugbyleague.com
BLUE BLUE BLUE DRAGONS!
Rygbi Gynghrair Cymru am byth

Archived