Sign in to follow this  
audois

Wigan-Catalans in London

Been reported here in the local papers. But where in the capital?

May be next year Dragons will reciprocate and invite Wigan to Paris.

It makes sense - I imagine it will be Wigan's lowest home crowd usually? I am guessing here, by the way. Also, Cats fans are the least put out by the move (it may even be beneficial to them?).

Don't know where it'll be played though. Somewhere fairly central I hope.

However - would the Dragons really want to move what I am guessing is one of their bigger games away from home?

They're talked about going up to the capital for a while now. Some where expecting it to happen this year. They've already played Wigan twice in the regional capital Montpellier and last time out where rewarded with a 13,000 turn out. Wonder whether they'd play it at Stade Charlety where the first ever Super League game took place PSG-Sheffield. Other alternative the new Stade Jean-Bouin where Stade Francais now play.

250px-Tribune_preacutesidentielle_nouvea

Edited by audois

Maybe a few of the couple of hundred thousand french living in London might go to the game,

Only if you know how to get the message to them.

Aye, I'd seen that one of Wigan's home games was going to be in London. Catalans makes sense, but I'm still hoping for Leeds

Just heard the Wigan game is going to be at the New Den, Millwall. 

Haven't seen anything online confirming though.

I have, but I closed the link. I'll see if I can dig it out again

This is good news. Its been hard attracting newbies to games this season given Skolars performances (until recently) and the trek to The Hive. The New Den is a good ground.

that is great news from every perspective. If it goes well, perhaps the Broncos could get a new home there (and much handier for the EW clan). I like the pic Wigan Today used - I can see my office in the distance.

that is great news from every perspective. If it goes well, perhaps the Broncos could get a new home there (and much handier for the EW clan). I like the pic Wigan Today used - I can see my office in the distance.

They clearly decided not to use an image of the area around the Den!

The New Den is a reasonable ground for a Football tier 3 club and will be big enough for a Wigan game in London. They will feel at home too as the vicinity is similar to Wigan's home ground surrounded by scrapyards and industrial units.

I'll be there and it is well served by train- only one stop from London Bridge.

Judging by the moaning on the Wigan RLFans forum, it might just be you there EW. The New Den is about 25 mins away from me by bus but sadly I'm away on my holidays that week.

I've only been on a football match day and its not somewhere I'll be rushing back to, be interesting to see how it fairs, but I fear its reputation will go before it and many will be put off.

despite it being in enemy territory, i cant wait for this. Be interesting to see how Wigan promote this in London, and to what level, in comparison with other games of RL that are played regularly in London.

Nice little graphic advertising the game up on the wigan website. Sarginson and Mcilorum taking out Big Ben.

http://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2015-07-29-london-calling

I wouldn't send my mother in law to Millwall ! But a Saturday afternoon KO in London during the football season seems a strange choice.

Edited by Davo5

Good god, of all the stadia they could have chosen they pick the one in an area inhabited by football hooligans, right wing racist thugs and home to some of the capitals worst drug gangs.

Is the old scrap yard still there near the ground ? Allegedly used by the local gansters to crush & dispose of things they never wanted to be found (including people).

Of all the places i've worked Bermondsey & Peckham were 2 of the biggest hell holes you can imagine.

They have at least chosen a ground that was designed with other sports in mind (even rugby league) according to Simon Inglis. So should at least be long enough in terms of pitch. Maybe IL discovered the awful truth of finding a different venue in London.

Closest a game has been to me since London were at Charlton. However won't be bothering as no interest in watching Wigan.