Koukash reveals all.........again

You kind of know where he's coming from with Hetherington even if the analogy is crass. What's most revealing of the level of self delusion that the man has re Popeye.

"To hear his comments was absolutely shocking. There is nothing that Brian can teach me that would improve my leadership skills."

So, he actually believes that he can learn NOTHING about leadership from someone like Brian McDermott. There you go folks.

Cuckoo, Cuckoo...

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, he actually believes that he can learn NOTHING about leadership from someone like Brian McDermott. There you go folks.

Cuckoo, Cuckoo...

What rank,in the Marines,did McDermott reach,given his apparent leadership knowledge/experience?

( I ask as an individual who admires Brian McDermott )

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

What rank,in the Marines,did McDermott reach,given his apparent leadership knowledge/experience?

Does it matter? The fact is that over the past couple of years he shown a great deal of leadership, as well as conducting himself in a thoroughly decent manner. The Doc, on the other hand.......

He acquired the rank of... F top bloke who leads men like a lion.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

He acquired the rank of... F top bloke who leads men like a lion.

Is that two stripes, or just one?

@Teessidewire: It does matter because someone earlier suggested that BM was obviously a great leader because he had been in the Marines. Not every Marine is a leader. Some also follow orders.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

McDermott was a Royal Marine for around 5yrs. He wouldn't have progressed any further than the rank of Corporal in that time frame and would have had to be a fairly 'hoofing' bloke to get that rank in 5yrs. It is likely he was a Marine i.e. a private. Happy to be proven wrong if someone else has more detail.

I watched the Backchat interview last night and for once Koukash came across pretty well for the most part.

I sort of get what he's saying about McDermott as leadership comes in many forms. He didn't phrase it very well but I guess what he meant was there's nothing McDermott can teach him about leading & running a business, but conversly there's nothing Koukash could teach McDermott about leading a group of rugby players in a dressing room.

McDermott was out of order to question how Koukash runs a club as he has no idea about running one himself, likewise Koukash should refrain from the personal attacks on McDermott's leadership skills with the team as he has no idea about that side of things.

As for the 'hooker' jibe about Hetherington, I guess in time we'll find out what 'bad advice' or 'lies' Hetherington was supposed to have told Koukash when he took over Salford.

Personally i've never been much of a fan of Hetherington. He was a very average journeyman player, failed coach and as soon as Sheffield got some success he cashed in and walked away. He comes across as pretty arrogant, painting this picture that Leeds success was down to him (when in reality its Caddick's huge investment in better quality players, staff & infrastructure that is the main contributor), but Koukash is also pretty arrogant and looks down on Hetherington. It appears he still sees him as a slimy, arrogant double glazing salesman (but then again a leopard and his spots and all that ;) )

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Does it matter? The fact is that over the past couple of years he shown a great deal of leadership, as well as conducting himself in a thoroughly decent manner. The Doc, on the other hand.......

I did read a piece from Matthew Elliott about Brian McDermott.I suppose it could be about leadership and persuasion.

Part of what was written was as follows:-    Elliott describes a scene where McDermott (the current Leeds coach) used to wander round the gym with a stick to hit players who weren't training hard.

Do you think there would be much outcry if Dr Koukash led his players in similar fashion?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10846569

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Good leaders have the respect of the men they lead and get the very best out of them.  The relative results and performances of Salford and Leeds tend to suggest that one of the two has an awful lot to learn from the other.

Comparing McDermott to Koukash is like comparing apples to oranges. One leads a team of players and is judged solely on how well those players perform, the other leads an entire club and should be judged on the performance of the club as a whole of which on field player performance is only a small part.

As I said earlier McDermott has nothing he can teach Koukash about leading & running a business and Koukash has nothing he can teach McDermott about leading a team of rugby players on the pitch.

brian mac is a great leader simply because he is a great coach, koukash on the other hand ?????

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1455957_262746450543197_276002364_n.jpg

I wish I had written the longer post that Toppy produced.
It was and is outrageous for McDermott to have said what he said, and he got away with it because of the almost universal love and respect he has earned in the game.

Koukash is right - he knows how to run businesses very successfully indeed. While some of the evidence suggests he has made a lot of errors with Salford, he wouldn't be the first man to burn through a lot of money in starting up an unfamiliar business.

Comparing McDermott to Koukash is like comparing apples to oranges. One leads a team of players and is judged solely on how well those players perform, the other leads an entire club and should be judged on the performance of the club as a whole of which on field player performance is only a small part.

As I said earlier McDermott has nothing he can teach Koukash about leading & running a business and Koukash has nothing he can teach McDermott about leading a team of rugby players on the pitch.

After Leeds put 70 on Salford, McDermott criticised Koukash's leadership in relation to the playing group.

Koukash has said he can learn nothing from McDermott about leadership.  The performances and results of the two sets of players involved say otherwise.

It was and is outrageous for McDermott to have said what he said, and he got away with it because of the almost universal love and respect he has earned in the game.

Koukash is right - he knows how to run businesses very successfully indeed. While some of the evidence suggests he has made a lot of errors with Salford, he wouldn't be the first man to burn through a lot of money in starting up an unfamiliar business.

Why was what McDermott said outrageous? 

How he has run Salford would suggest he does not know how to run a business.

After Leeds put 70 on Salford, McDermott criticised Koukash's leadership in relation to the playing group.

Koukash has said he can learn nothing from McDermott about leadership.  The performances and results of the two sets of players involved say otherwise.

Except that Dr K is funding and running a whole club; McDermott is running a team without any personal expense at all.  Big difference.   

McDermott was out of order making the comments that he did and since Hetherington didn't counter what he said publically then Dr K has every right to offer up a defence publically.  But then I'm not a McDermott ass-kisser.  To me he comes across as arrogant and I'd like to see how he would perform as a coach if he didn't have the players he has had at his disposal at Leeds.  He took London Broncos further down the league during his time there.

I too watched the interview, this morning.  I would recommend everyone watch it.  It is going to be repeated again at 3.30 on Sunday.  He doesn't say anything outrageous and the comment about Hetherington is pretty astute IMO, bearing in mind Koukash believes he was let down in the advice given to him earlier in his time in the sport, not just by Hetherington but by a few unnamed people.  He appears to admire Tim Sheens and obviously hopes he will continue with the club.

Don't forget that of those players who claimed not to have been paid by him, one has already had his case rejected.  That was reported in the RL press a few weeks ago, but obviously not with the fanfare that the players reported their initial accusations.

Except that Dr K is funding and running a whole club; McDermott is running a team without any personal expense at all.  Big difference.   

McDermott was out of order making the comments that he did and since Hetherington didn't counter what he said publically then Dr K has every right to offer up a defence publically.  But then I'm not a McDermott ass-kisser.  To me he comes across as arrogant and I'd like to see how he would perform as a coach if he didn't have the players he has had at his disposal at Leeds.  He took London Broncos further down the league during his time there.

McDermott commented on Koukash's leadership in relation to the playing group and his constant public criticism and behind the scenes goings on. Why is that outrageous?

Of the two, who is getting the best out of the playing group in performances and results?

Do Salford not have coaching staff to take care of the playing side and speak about performances?

Whether you agree with what McDermott said or not, the fact that he made his comments on live TV makes him just as bad as Marwan, especially since according to him they had been on friendly terms before the incident. If McDermott actually wanted to help the situation he could have spoken to MK in private like a mature person.

I also have to laugh at the idea that a few years in the Marines gives McDermott any kind of automatic credibility or respect over Marwan. This is a guy who, as a child, was burned out of his home, marched barefoot across Syria and Iraq and experienced things that McDermott couldn't even imagine. So regardless of what kind of "leadership" he was referring to, I can kind of understand why he would feel he has nothing to learn from McDermott.

When McDermott came out with that it surprised me ,but I put it down to players at Salford who he knows well talking to him about the way things are going at Salford.I would like to know is Koukash as wealthy as what we are lied to believe?

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

McDermott commented on Koukash's leadership in relation to the playing group and his constant public criticism and behind the scenes goings on. Why is that outrageous?

Of the two, who is getting the best out of the playing group in performances and results?

Do Salford not have coaching staff to take care of the playing side and speak about performances?

Its outrageous becuse firstly McDermott can't possibly know exactly what going on behind the scenes at Salford as he's not part of it. He's made this comment based purely on 2nd hand information and no doubt from someone with an axe to grind with Koukash, so the information is hardly likely to be fully credible. 

Secondly, in case you hadn't realised Koukash leads the whole of the Salford club, he doesn't directly lead & manage the players, thats what the coaching team does. In the interview he even called Tim Sheens 'the boss' when it comes to matters regarding the players and stated that it was they who suspended Rangi Chase, not him. Player performance (or lack of it) at Salford is down to the coaching team and it appears Iestyn Harris had paid the price for that failure this year. 

Koukash has made some big errors in his time so far at Salford, he's the first to admit that, but I think he's well within his rights to defend himself against what McDermott said, particularly as its evident its Hetherington pulling his strings and is the source of many of these allegations of unrest and mis-management.

I dont know if Koukash has said it publically but he's certainly not tried to hide the fact he believes its Leeds who have unsettled Theo Fages by holding talks with his agent and making some big money offers before even asking for permission to speak to the player. I suspect this is part of the 'agenda' he referred to in the interview.

Archived