13 Sept: Qualifiers - Halifax v Leigh Centurions KO 3pm

Will that be to defeat a part time championship side?

Super League side Salford,on a higher salary cap,had a loan player,Rene from Fev,who had no.40 on the back of his

shirt yesterday.

I don't think any Championship club will be able to match that.

Probably not, I doubt there's any other players with the same name

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One up, one down system just led to a boom and bust situation for clubs, at least this system allows clubs to build for the future with greater structure and purpose

Well you've been reading the RFL press releases again

Hull promoted stayed up

HKR promoted stayed up

Wakey promoted stayed up

Salford promoted stayed up

Cas promoted stayed up

Huddersfield promoted stayed up

Widnes stayed up under their first promotion

London went bust with a license

Salford went bust with a license

Bradford went bust with a license

Wakefield are going bust with a license

But if you want to just repeat RFL press releases then fine, add to that I'm not sure where anyone is building anything (care to suggest what?), spending as much as they can on players yes. 

Well you've been reading the RFL press releases again

Hull promoted stayed up

HKR promoted stayed up

Wakey promoted stayed up

Salford promoted stayed up

Cas promoted stayed up

Huddersfield promoted stayed up

Widnes stayed up under their first promotion

London went bust with a license

Salford went bust with a license

Bradford went bust with a license

Wakefield are going bust with a license

But if you want to just repeat RFL press releases then fine, add to that I'm not sure where anyone is building anything (care to suggest what?), spending as much as they can on players yes.

London didn't go bust......nor did Salford. Close isn't bust....

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember Salford actually going bust. We went very close just as the Doctor took us over, but bankrupt? There would have been points deducted, wouldn't there? I don't remember that.

Edit. I see BR beat me to it.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

London didn't go bust......nor did Salford. Close isn't bust....

This is a typical reply that is in denial of the facts.

Again 7 clubs who were promoted stayed promoted and several thrived under P & R.If you have nothing to say about that then please admit it's a falsehood that all P & R created was boom and bust 

In your world of Licensing you failed to set out and scotchy set it out and it was poor, you believe clubs will thrive.

I assume your correction, a pedantic reply,  was to avoid avoid answering the main point? 

OK here goes.....

Under licensing Bradford went bust

Under licensing Celtic Crusaders went bust 

Under licensing Salford went into a massive decline and nearly folded

Under licensing Wakefield have gone into a heavy decline and are in danger of leaving Wakefield

Under licensing Hull have declined

ete etc etc.

That OK now?? 

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember Salford actually going bust. We went very close just as the Doctor took us over, but bankrupt? There would have been points deducted, wouldn't there? I don't remember that.

Edit. I see BR beat me to it.

Corrections always welcome Toni

But can you confirm Salford rose from being a championship club to being an SL club for a number of years under P & R?

Can you confirm your biggest decline was under licensing?

If we want to have the facts let's have them right and have them both ways?

The title of this thread is Halifax v Leigh.

It isn't about any other two clubs or about licensing.

Please get back on topic or get off this thread. Otherwise, warnings and suspensions will be issued.

Thank you.

Sport does throw odd results from time to time nobody expected Fax to win not even the fax fans if they are honest , but they did and all credit to the coach and his squad .

What makes me laugh is all the knockers are coming out from under their pallets knocking Leigh and forgetting what they have acheived and what they have done in raising the bar for the championship .

They have played a brand of rugby that exites rugby fans both friend and foe .

Yes sometimes on the edge but is that not what rugby was built on .

Five drives and a kick or open expansive rugby ?

Bit of biff or tick and pass ?

Come on you so called rugby fans give Leigh the credit they deserve If all teams played the Leyth way crowds would come flooding back .

Let's not forget Leigh won the league by a country mile and got little or no reward .

Yes they have been found wanting on these games but be honest with a little more composure against Hull K R and Wakefield we would not be having this debate .

Let's concern ourselves with the rugby and not the economics every top club seems to have a sugar daddy that is the face of sport these days .

What do you think he acheived over and above what Paul Rowley did or ondeed any other coach did in the division ?

Murphy is a legend in the game should his opinions not be respected ?

Leigh only lost 1 game Fax 7 finishing 4th 11 points behind Leigh .

Leigh had a great cup run running Wire close and causing them loads of problems did Fax have a good cup run ?

Wonder why anyone should have an hidden agenda against Leigh ?

What do you think he acheived over and above what Paul Rowley did or ondeed any other coach did in the division ?

Leigh only lost 1 game Fax 7 finishing 4th 11 points behind Leigh .

Leigh had a great cup run running Wire close and causing them loads of problems did Fax have a good cup run ?

Wonder why anyone should have an hidden agenda against Leigh ?

I believe he achieved what no other coach in the league did and that was lead a team full of part timers (I believe Sheffield have some full time players) to the middle 8's, beat some full time teams aswell as give other full time teams a tough test (Leigh never beating Fax by more than 12 points, London not by more than 4 or 6 aswell as losing to Halifax with Bradford with slighly bigger wins but again losing to Halifax later on). 

No arguments about the Challenge Cup, but I wonder if that was taken into consideration with it being the Kingstone Press Championships awards. Either way, no argument with your point.

A quick look at the RFL disciplinary page shows (I think these numbers are correct) Halifax with 17 cases referred and 3 charged, with 3 matches being missed due to suspension. Leigh have 66 cases, 13 charged and 23 matches missed due to suspension. I would assume that these numbers would go against Paul Rowley? 

As for saying should Murphy's "opinions not be respected", I'm unsure of how you've taken my original post but I don't see how it showed any disrespect to his opinion, only disagreement. 

@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

Rowley has had way more time and money to spend than Marshall though. Rowley has probably has had a budget well over twice what Marshall has had and been able to sign alleged stars in Moi Moi, Hock etc. Rowley has done well, but sadly for Leigh they peaked way too early and have been a disappointment in the 8s. I think Marshall has clearly been the best coach in the Championship season for what he has achieved on the resources that he has had. I think Marshall has achieved far more than what was expected of him and his team compared to Rowley. Both are very good coaches but for me this season Marshall has been better and most others seem to think that.

In this case? No!

They lost to Halifax when they expected to win and it's a dummy spit of epic proportions......the system was in place from day 1 and if the system is at fault, then it needs changing, but to clam an "agenda" against one club is an embarrassment to him, the club and the game in general.

Archived