11 Sept: Super 8s - Wigan Warriors v Hull FC KO 8pm (TV)

Absolutely.

In fact, after last night's efforts, I'm wondering how wise it would be to pick the three you mentioned plus Hardaker, Hall, Sarginson, Reed, Burgess, Tomkins...

Oh, I can't be bothered with the rest but you get my drfit.

I was thinking about the England team the other day... Smith has been so bad and is getting worse, so I would be v nervous about picking him at 7.

Hardaker - Hall - Watkins - Reed - Briscoe - Widdop - McGuire - Graham - Roby - Hill - Greenwood - Whitehead - ?

- Burgess - Hodgson - Burgess - Watts ( C )

As Tomkins is officially rubbish ( :) ), passim TRL threads, this is a possible line up for the Kiwi series that wouldn't necessarily cause too many arguments.

If O'Loughlin is unfit, then we could easily have a team with no Wigan players in it. Who could well win the GF. That arguably shows considerable strength in depth...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely.

In fact, after last night's efforts, I'm wondering how wise it would be to pick the three you mentioned plus Hardaker, Hall, Sarginson, Reed, Burgess, Tomkins...

Oh, I can't be bothered with the rest but you get my drfit.

doesnt matter anyway, remember that the kiwis are weakened. Could probably pick the full Hull fc team and win 3 nil

I was thinking about the England team the other day... Smith has been so bad and is getting worse, so I would be v nervous about picking him at 7.

Hardaker - Hall - Watkins - Reed - Briscoe - Widdop - McGuire - Graham - Roby - Hill - Greenwood - Whitehead - ?

- Burgess - Hodgson - Burgess - Watts ( C )

As Tomkins is officially rubbish ( :) ), passim TRL threads, this is a possible line up for the Kiwi series that wouldn't necessarily cause too many arguments.

If O'Loughlin is unfit, then we could easily have a team with no Wigan players in it. Who could well win the GF. That arguably shows considerable strength in depth...

Warning - Thread drift alert.  :nono:

I was only jesting in my post, let's get back on topic.

I'm sure Steve Reed wants to discuss Hull's fantastic crop of youngsters at length.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

doesnt matter anyway, remember that the kiwis are weakened. Could probably pick the full Hull fc team and win 3 nil

Doubtful mate, we've got too many Aussies/Kiwis/Tongans/Samoans/Hull born players.

(Delete as necessary, if possible.)

Oh, and we're cr ap.

Wigan had the game in their pockets early on and fell off a little.  Hull capitalised on that and Wigan really struggled to re-assert their superiority.

A bit more composure from Hull and the 2 points were theirs.  Some good emerging talent on show, but the late killer try showed Wigan had enough when it was needed.

Would be interesting to see if Bateman in particular has the maturity and discipline to make the step up to England.  He certainly has the dog, and skill, in him to take it to any opposition.

Only Child knows why that wasn't an instant red card offence.  It wasn't as if there weren't a couple of very borderline ones previously.

the late killer try showed Wigan had enough when it was needed.

Not sure about that. It could be argued that had Logan not pushed off the Wigan defender when Hull had made a long break downfield, and thus conceded the penalty giving possession away near Wigan's line, Hull may well have scored as Wigan were on the rack at that point. As it was, Wigan scored shortly after that penalty.

All ifs, buts and maybes now though.

Just delighted with the effort.

Does anybody on here have the ability to put stills from last night's game presentation from Sky onto here?

I've just been sent a text showing the Hull players' photographs in the line up shot before kick off and it looks rather obvious that Masimbaashe Matongo's head has been photoshopped onto a white Hull shirted body complete with very white neck.

Now, given that Matongo's skin is about as dark a colour as skin can be, was this simply not such a great idea or is it a bit of appalling carelessness where somebody should get a reprimand for lack of sensitivity?

Warning - Thread drift alert.  :nono:

I was only jesting in my post, let's get back on topic.

I'm sure Steve Reed wants to discuss Hull's fantastic crop of youngsters at length.

Tbh, I assume you are always in jest. I haven't taken your posts seriously for years. :)

There was a semi serious point which struck me, as I watched that game, though.

I think Burgess, Williams, McIllorum and O'Loughlin would not be out of place. My concern about Bateman is the same as applies to Farell. If the prevailing opinion is that you need to be big to play for England as a forward, and I can see that may be so, then Bateman would fall short on that score, whereas Greenwood looks the part. I also think Walmsley is over rated, but I am as alone in that as I am in the McIllorum fan club. (whoops off topic again)

Back on nights so apologies to my friends. As expected Wigan are not the real thing....remember their early departure from the Cup. They can be beaten.

Hulls youngsters performed well,some more prominently than others.But like most SL teams they can still put out a lot of experience even with a long list of "injuries".

As a non follower of the detail of Hulls squad my reaction b4 the game was that the starting 13 was strong....Hull played to the best of their capabilities Wigan were basically clueless.

Well done Hull.

The starting 13 may have been reasonable but it's a 17 man game these days and three teenagers on the bench is asking a bit, esp. given their lack of experience.

On the Bateman debate, I'd have no hesitation bunging him in against the Kiwis. He may not be the biggest but his strength is exceptional and without him last night, Wigan would have lost.

The starting 13 may have been reasonable but it's a 17 man game these days and three teenagers on the bench is asking a bit, esp. given their lack of experience.

On the Bateman debate, I'd have no hesitation bunging him in against the Kiwis. He may not be the biggest but his strength is exceptional and without him last night, Wigan would have lost.

Don't get me wrong Hull played well but then to me even in defeat they have looked capable of beating anyone in the last 3 years. My delight is that they flatter to receive.How many games did they go unbeaten in their best run this year?

Abdul looks a real prospect as does Jack.... But I wasn't carried away with the bench.For colts they performed but no great strides. It was Shaul,Rankin,Minnichello,Liam,Naughton,Sneyd,Houghton amongst others who did the business whereas for Wigan most of the players are no better. To me Wigan remain 3 players short of a quality side....a lot of average Connor Powell's in the squad.

But we'll done Hull you almost stuffed the pretty boys,boots and haircuts.

Does anybody on here have the ability to put stills from last night's game presentation from Sky onto here?

I've just been sent a text showing the Hull players' photographs in the line up shot before kick off and it looks rather obvious that Masimbaashe Matongo's head has been photoshopped onto a white Hull shirted body complete with very white neck.

Now, given that Matongo's skin is about as dark a colour as skin can be, was this simply not such a great idea or is it a bit of appalling carelessness where somebody should get a reprimand for lack of sensitivity?

https://twitter.com/wellsy13/status/642751217408561152
Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Nice piece about Matongo here.

Sam Powell has no charge to answer regarding the finger in Lineham's eye but Tautai is looking at 3-5 games for upending Mickey Paea.

http://www.therfl.co.uk/the-rfl/disciplinary/item?6932

I would say the RFL are about right with both.

Patrick played well in the game at London v Catalans.

Shaun Wane may decide that Saints v Wigan is too big a game for Gildart and play Bateman centre.

If that were the case then Larne Patrick will play. 

As for the Hull young lads.

I have thought for years that it should be more important for us to have a "Club Trained" quota as well as an overseas quota. That way younger players like we saw at the DW would have to be played. 

Start with a minimum of 5 CT in the 17 then increase each year until we reach 8 per 17.

Archived