Sign in to follow this  
snapski

It's obviously time this try or no try to video ref is binned

Putting on field refs in a very awkward position. And the video refs don't seem to know what they're doing.

The whole system is a joke. Take Wilkins' disallowed try on 17 minutes. Thaler clearly says to Roberts.

"I haven't seen it so I've had to give a try for benefit of the doubt"

What an absolute joke! So you're awarding a try Ben even though you haven't seen a try scored!?!

Sums it up really.

Putting on field refs in a very awkward position. And the video refs don't seem to know what they're doing.

The whole system is a joke. Take Wilkins' disallowed try on 17 minutes. Thaler clearly says to Roberts.

What an absolute joke! So you're awarding a try Ben even though you haven't seen a try scored!?!

Sums it up really.

The ref doesn't have to see the try scored to award it.

From the laws of the game

Referee unsighted The Referee should not disallow a try because he was not in a position to see the grounding of the ball.

In the old system if he hadnt seen it it would be a try due to benefit of the doubt to the attack.

In todays game the ruling should be

" I can't see that the ball is down so it's no try unless

A TV angle shows the grounding "

I thought that was the topic of the thread

why should the ref being in a bad position rule out a fair try?

How many times is a ball taken into the in goal area and not grounded?

I don't have the stat but I believe it's certainly a fraction of the times it is grounded, thus justifying the reason to give a try.

Mathematically it is probable, and justifies the benefit of the doubt being with the attacker

Why can't the Sky commentary team have an invited audience, randomly selected from rugby league fans everywhere, and have a clapometer (Trademark Hughie Green) installed in the studio.

Then after a dubious try is scored, hold up "Try" and "No try" boards, one after the other, and give the decision based on the loudest round of applause.

It's about as good a system as they've got now.

Edited by Old Frightful

We could, and im just throwing it out there, have the referee say "Hey Video Ref, im not sure, can you tell me if this is a try or not please?" and then the VR can look at it and say, "yeah, this is a try" or "no, thats not a try" 

What can the ref ask the video ref?

Is it like Union Try yes or no, any reason I can't award the try or but for the act of foul play was a try likely.

What can the ref ask the video ref?

Is it like Union Try yes or no, any reason I can't award the try or but for the act of foul play was a try likely.

Basically the ref makes the decision he would make in a game without the VR. If the VR can't be sure he's wrong they then should stay with the on field decision.

Exactly right. The ref is being asked to make his decision as if the Video ref were not available. Because the video ref is there, they are using the technology.

I would like to see the option they use in cricket and tennis, where teams are permitted to challenge a certain number of decisions, say two in each half. That would limit the number of video ref referrals.

I always say that you should be careful what you wish for or you might just get it. 

The fans were calling for this to be brought in as it is hoe the NRL does it and now they have it ...............................

Sums it up really.

I dislike the VR quite a lot, but this is the worst example ever to pick for this argument - well done in highlighting that the ref got it spot on

Get rid of the video ref !!!

I must admit, I have always defended use of the VR, but I am becoming pretty bored by it. The NRL is an absolute nightmare for it, they very very rarely award a try without going to it.

Have to agree . I love my NRL but that element of it is a total wind up and becoming ever more irritating . There's four blokes looking at it from every compass point - the vast majority of times they see things , call them , all say try ... Then check things they've already seen , or check for things that never happened .

I think it's right that the on-field ref indicates what he thinks the position is first, for the video ref to verify if he can.

I actually don't have a problem with the video refs.  Before the technology you used to get some absolutely shocking decisions.  Now, on the whole, I think you get fairer results.

I don't get too bored watching the replays - it's an action-packed sport anyway and so I don't think it really detracts.

I don't get too bored watching the replays - it's an action-packed sport anyway and so I don't think it really detracts.

I think this is a very good point.

Watching a RL match is a bit like being told you can't leave your seat for two lots of 40 minutes. It's not like football or Union where you can take the bloody dog for a walk and not miss much.

I find myself getting more and more exasperated when Sky show replays whilst the game is going on because you can miss so much. Can't remember which game it was but I'm fairly certain they missed a try during the last week or so because of it.

At least during the VR replays you know you're not missing anything.

Edited by Old Frightful

I totally agree with you, Old Frightful.

Try turning on to a union game and the chances are the ball is being retrieved after being booted out of play, or a scrum is being reset!  I think the TV replays have their own drama - a tension while nobody moves!

You are right, action replays, often of comparatively unimportant moments, are run repeatedly and obsessively so that we miss critical points of live play such as a quickly taken penalty or fumbled kick from a restart.

I think the missed try may have been Lima's from, indeed, a quickly taken penalty - quick thinking by the big man, itself a novelty, one might add, a touch uncharitably!

I think this is a very good point.

Watching a RL match is a bit like being told you can't leave your seat for two lots of 40 minutes. It's not like football or Union where you can take the bloody dog for a walk and not miss much.

I find myself getting more and more exasperated when Sky show replays whilst the game is going on because you can miss so much. Can't remember which game it was but I'm fairly certain they missed a try during the last week or so because of it.

At least during the VR replays you know you're not missing anything.

It is a good point, and my issue is with the NRL approach to it. Sky is not much better as we need to listen to Stevo blather on, but I actually enjoy the BBC coverage as we listen to the VR explain his decision.

On the in-game replays, I am surprised Sky haven't gone down the BT or NRL route of having a small screen for replays (or alternatively live coverage).

In defence of SKY on this one, I think I am right in saying they take the feed from the host broadcaster for the Catalan games so it wasn't their fault they missed the Lima try.