Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

24 Sept: Super 8s - St Helens v Warrington Wolves KO 8pm (TV)

True but which of the five should have been given

im not too concerned about the decisions, the luck point referred to the fact there were millimetres in many of the decisions, on another day they stick instead of slipping away from fingers.

There is also the fact that i think tge on field ref said yes to three Wire tries iirc, which the vr overruled, so in a non-tv game, that scoreline is massively different.

Wire controlled the ruck better, not the ref. Using the ref in it suggests something untoward.

Wire controlled the ruck better, but part of that is playing the ref IMO. I don't see it as a criticism of Wire, more him saying Wire were smarter than Saints in the tackle. 

im not too concerned about the decisions, the luck point referred to the fact there were millimetres in many of the decisions, on another day they stick instead of slipping away from fingers.

There is also the fact that i think tge on field ref said yes to three Wire tries iirc, which the vr overruled, so in a non-tv game, that scoreline is massively different.

so the decisions were correct

so the decisions were correct

go and start an argument elsewhere, in my post talking about luck, i dont complain about any decision from the ref.

Commentators thought the vr got a couple wrong.

Edited by Dave T

Wire controlled the ruck better, but part of that is playing the ref IMO. I don't see it as a criticism of Wire, more him saying Wire were smarter than Saints in the tackle.

so he could say that, or he could turn it into a ref discussion. No wonder the Saints forwards spend much of their time squaring up to the ref.

so he could say that, or he could turn it into a ref discussion. No wonder the Saints forwards spend much of their time squaring up to the ref.

It's the St Helens way, positively encouraged by their coach.

worst thing for me tonight, and in particular, saints, was all the challenging the referees decisions, nearly every "Try" wire scored there were saints players running after the ref waving,pointing and flapping arms around to demand and protest!

it needs to be stamped out, wilkin was the biggest culprit tonight, pointing, shouting,whining and moaning and protesting, it's about time referee's started showing yellow cards to players that will soon put an end to it!

I've not seen a minute of tonight's game yet sadly, but I shrieked with delight when I saw the score. A bit of pride restored.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

No wonder crowds are down. With all the video ref calls you end up watching most of the game on a screen even if you're at the stadium

worst thing for me tonight, and in particular, saints, was all the challenging the referees decisions, nearly every "Try" wire scored there were saints players running after the ref waving,pointing and flapping arms around to demand and protest!

it needs to be stamped out, wilkin was the biggest culprit tonight, pointing, shouting,whining and moaning and protesting, it's about time referee's started showing yellow cards to players that will soon put an end to it!

Agree. Needs to be some kind of punishment for running to the ref. Never thought I would see it allowed in rugby league

That's only because the players knew they were playing poorly.  They didn't do it against Wigan last week.  Instead of buckling down and putting in some effort, they were effectively shouting 'it's not fair'. 

I have no sympathy with Saints players or coaching staff when that kind of performance is put out for the fans.  Saints didn't deserve to win and they didn't win.  But that doesn't mean they won't win next week.  They've been consistently inconsistent for the last three seasons: it's the Brown effect.  But sending the home fans off with a performance like that was both disappointing and annoying for us fans.

Wire played well and deserved their win (but they didn't deserve any of the tries they were denied).

No wonder crowds are down. With all the video ref calls you end up watching most of the game on a screen even if you're at the stadium

If there was 1 less in the crowd and you stayed at home, there would at least be some benefits you miserable sod.

Last nights game was brilliant. For the neutral it showed no matter what Saints, the Ref or the VR put in their way, Wire still won. The last try really having significance in the story of 1 mans career in an 80 minute game.

Sometimes a game of RL can throw up unexpected stories that catch your attention and sometimes all the handwringing and criticism, for once thank God, cannot overshadow it.

Edited by Ackroman

If there was 1 less in the crowd and you stayed at home, there would at least be some benefits you miserable sod.

Last nights game was brilliant. For the neutral it showed no matter what Saints, the Ref or the VR put in their way, Wire still won. The last try really having significance in the story of 1 mans career in an 80 minute game.

Sometimes a game of RL can throw up unexpected stories that catch your attention and sometimes all the handwringing and criticism, for once thank God, cannot overshadow it.

Well said lad.. I watched on TV and enjoyed the game - and by that I mean all the aspects...

Its only the constant inane negativity from the two numpties who spoil it..

The reason the VR was introduced was to ensure correct decisions are made - and in the main - it works and works well. (Not saying its error free - but inevitable human errors will happen)

If it so happens that a game contains a higher than average number of decisions requiring use of the tech - then so be it - the playing time remains at 80 minutes regardless.

The moan rate seems to be going up and up - so I will end on a positive note...

Sky's use of Terry O'Connor for interviews is a stroke of genius - he is brillaint at connecting with the players/coaches - so relaxed and humourous - great viewing.

And the bit with John Wells and a player at the end - a fantastic insight every time..

Can't wait for tonights game - VR decisions or no VR decisions!

For all the talk about Ratchford as a fb from Clarke during the game, we have generally looked far better with a proper fb in the team, whether thats russell or now.johnson. we get fewer errors and stronger kick returns to get us on the front foot.

Ratch played very well at 3, i do hope that is a position he made his own, as tbh whereas he could have been a world.beater, his career is more like Chris Bridge's.

Also, for all the criticism Sandow has had, im definitely seeing a leader there, taking charge at 7, Clarke led the forwards well too.

The team looked balanced, which has been rare this year.

Edited by Dave T

Well said lad.. I watched on TV and enjoyed the game - and by that I mean all the aspects...

Its only the constant inane negativity from the two numpties who spoil it..

The reason the VR was introduced was to ensure correct decisions are made - and in the main - it works and works well. (Not saying its error free - but inevitable human errors will happen)

If it so happens that a game contains a higher than average number of decisions requiring use of the tech - then so be it - the playing time remains at 80 minutes regardless.

The moan rate seems to be going up and up - so I will end on a positive note...

Sky's use of Terry O'Connor for interviews is a stroke of genius - he is brillaint at connecting with the players/coaches - so relaxed and humourous - great viewing.

And the bit with John Wells and a player at the end - a fantastic insight every time..

Can't wait for tonights game - VR decisions or no VR decisions!

Eddie made a good point about the vr last night when Terry (iirc) was ranting about the use of it. He said if they scrap it then the commentators couldnt make a fuss when they get it wrong. He was spot on, the ones complaining about it, will complain if its not there.

Improve it, yes, scrap it, no.

there also needs to be some come back on the refs for going to the screen when they should be able to make a clear decision. I'm with Terry on this.

As for the SKY team, Cummings should be part of the half time full time team not defending the refs during the game. Stevo needs to retire and Phil Clarke has become completely pointless.

To see Penny progress back to the top of his game is something else. Nice to see Ratchford become the player Salford fans thought he would become Shame it's for Wire though.

Wire just kept their hands down and played their game, not allowing Saints moaning to affect them.

I wish Sky would drop Stevo and his sidekick. The pair of them do nothing but drag down the image of our sport. Their insistence on concentrating on the negatives and sensationalising the unnecessary is truly infuriating. As for Cummings, the less said the better.

Last nights game was a cracker but the commentary and VR usage came close to ruining it for me. Bye bye Sky.

I actually agree with this, surprisingly.......have often said that T O'C is useless as a pundit but he seems in his element on pitch talking to the players - and they seem to respond well to him, in good humour etc so it's a good move

Great Wolves performance last night. Shame we didn't make Top 4 but we weren't nearly consistent enough across the season, and don't deserve to contest 2015 Grand Final - looking forward to seeing who lifts LLS and GF. Many twists, turns, and debatable VR decisions still to come!!

My biggest frustration is Challenge Cup, despite our inconsistencies we could have won this if we had played our A game v KR in semi. That defeat totally sent us off the rails, and ultimately served up a much poorer Wembley spectacle (unless you're a Rhinos fan).

Best wishes to our departing squad members, looking forward to our new arrivals, and hope lessons have bean learned from this campaign by management to deliver improved 2016.

I enjoyed last nights game, excepting the result, but this was one thing I did notice and was disappointed in.  It is not a good look, every time the cameras showed the ref he would be surrounding by players, many running over some distance to protest.  Wilkin in particular was guilty of this though, being the captain he has more of a right than others, but please do it in a responsible manner.  It also happened when the ref was going to the video ref anyway so I don't know what the players could be saying to have any effect!

The image of the sport is so important, particularly when up against you-now-what over on ITV, and whilst it may or may not be true we need to show that no-one has any moral high ground.  The amount of times I have heard the phrase "that's what rugby's about" in the last week is unbelievable, and whilst they get on their high horse about diving and pressuring the ref in football we do not want to give them the opportunity to do the same with the league ruffians.  

That's all off topic a bit, sorry.  Back on topic, well done Warrington, they had to win after all the no try decisions or I think this forum may have exploded.  Hopefully that has set them up for a big season next year, it's no doubt going to be their year...  As for Saints, all or nothing now.  Hopefully Walmsley will be back next week as I think with him in the team we would have come back in those last 15 mins.  And hopefully LMS can find some form again which seemed to have deserted him last night.

I wish Sky would drop Stevo and his sidekick. The pair of them do nothing but drag down the image of our sport. Their insistence on concentrating on the negatives and sensationalising the unnecessary is truly infuriating. As for Cummings, the less said the better.

Last nights game was a cracker but the commentary and VR usage came close to ruining it for me. Bye bye Sky.

I've no problem with cummins being there once the commentators learn the rules we can drop him. One example last night is Stevo would still be going on about Swift putting his foot in touch now if he wasn't there to correct him. Edited by bobbruce

For all the talk about Ratchford as a fb from Clarke during the game, we have generally looked far better with a proper fb in the team, whether thats russell or now.

Agree 100% with that, for me Ratchford is a solid player but not a full back. Seems to be a bit of a tactic to protect certain flair players by sticking them at full back a la Sam tomkins, but I don't think it does anything for the team as a whole, especially defensively.

I've no problem with cummins being there once the commentators learn the rules we can drop him.

The definition of a job for life, then. Or a job for the lifespan of Eddie'n'Stevo, at least.

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)