Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Jeremy Corbyn & the Labour Party

I'm starting a new thread to follow on from the (now locked) Labour leadership thread which has run its course and started to drift off into all sorts of other policy areas, some of which I think are worthy of their own thread, like the NHS.

Please continue the debate about Jeremy Corbyn and what his election as leader means for the Labour Party here.

Thanks.

We'll get a better idea after the party conference, I expect. 

Yes, could be the most interesting political party conference in quite some time. 

“Corbyn and McDonnell became intimately involved with the representatives of very violent people.”

And were denounced as such by Nigel Dodds - who attended the wake for John Bingham of the UVF.

“Corbyn and McDonnell became intimately involved with the representatives of very violent people.”

And were denounced as such by Nigel Dodds - who attended the wake for John Bingham of the UVF.

I would be surprised if many politicians in Northern Ireland had very clean hands in relation to the troubles.

But they were there living in the thick of it, reacting to some terrible events, while Corbyn and McDonnell weren't, and had far fewer excuses for their behaviour.

I would be surprised if many politicians in Northern Ireland had very clean hands in relation to the troubles.

But they were there living in the thick of it, reacting to some terrible events, while Corbyn and McDonnell weren't, and had far fewer excuses for their behaviour.

indeed but the example I quoted is generally known as hypocrisy

indeed but the example I quoted is generally known as hypocrisy

I think you would struggle to name any politician who hasn't been a hypocrite at some point in his or her career.

Yes, could be the most interesting political party conference in quite some time. 

Especially as there's talk of allowing votes on policies, so a conference as opposed to a rally.

A damning indictment of Corbyn's and McDonnell's position in relation to terrorism.

Really.  Come on.

The hypocrisy ran riot. The number of people who were killed and, I am biased, but people who would block any political solution until violence broke out I include.  

I do not know of anyone who comes out of the Troubles looking good, despite your previous eulogy to Iain Paisley who only wanted Catholics killed and had important principles that cost lots of money to buy off.

People died, including soldiers who gained nothing.

Behave yourself.

A damning indictment of Corbyn's and McDonnell's position in relation to terrorism.

His first conference speech and he's praising/honouring them now

http://news.sky.com/story/1559465/corbyn-pays-tribute-to-sinn-fein-revolutionary

Knowing families as I do who had their brave youngsters blown to bits at Warrenpoint I find this disgraceful and abhorrent from any leader of a political party in the UK.

Is he deliberately trying to hurt these families.

A memorial FFS!!

What next  Knighthoods for Adams and McGuiness

Edited by back to the future

Monty Python couldn't have scripted todays politics in Britain any better if they'd tried.

We've got the Eton Tory boys and their posh club piggy BJ's, Two terrorist supporters and an arsonist on the opposition front bench, a bunch of unruly jocks at the back being egged on by mary queen of scots hell bent on splitting up the UK at any cost (well as long as it costs the scots nothing and the rest of the UK pays for everything), and couple of LibDems despertately trying to get anyone to notice they exist (has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Tim Farron and David Steele's spitting image puppet ? ).

The Westminster flying circus just gets stranger by the week !

You do realize that killing Catholics technically counts as murder in the same way as killing Protestants does?  I know you find this pedantic, but it is worth bearing in mind.

The Labour party is destined for electoral oblivion for years to come.

It's only strategy under Watson will to be to target economically and politically naïve children and indoctrinate them into the ways of Marxist ideology. A Hitler youth for the 21st century.

McDonnell has nothing to offer, other than stating the obvious on tax evasion and avoidance.  Exactly how will he get the major corporations he named, and the governments in places like Holland & Luxembourg to play ball? EU rules mean they can set up the way they do.

His comment that the economy is run by a ruling elite was in complete ignorance of the fact that it is consumers who have the power.

He has no policies to offer and zero economic credibilty and will, as did Ed Balls, be led by what the likes of David Blanchflower tell him.

The Labour party is destined for electoral oblivion for years to come.

It's only strategy under Watson will to be to target economically and politically naïve children and indoctrinate them into the ways of Marxist ideology. A Hitler youth for the 21st century.

McDonnell has nothing to offer, other than stating the obvious on tax evasion and avoidance.  Exactly how will he get the major corporations he named, and the governments in places like Holland & Luxembourg to play ball? EU rules mean they can set up the way they do.

His comment that the economy is run by a ruling elite was in complete ignorance of the fact that it is consumers who have the power.

He has no policies to offer and zero economic credibilty and will, as did Ed Balls, be led by what the likes of David Blanchflower tell him.

Lol!

Okay, who had post #14 in the Godwin's Law sweepstake?  :biggrin:

I had to use a search engine ;)

McCluskey beat me to it. Why else does Labour want to lower the voting age to 16, other than to target younger children for indoctrination?  The NUT would be very useful in this regard.

You do realize that killing Catholics technically counts as murder in the same way as killing Protestants does?  I know you find this pedantic, but it is worth bearing in mind.

As someone with Catholic Irish ancestry I know that only too well, but apart from that I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

I had to use a search engine ;)

McCluskey beat me to it. Why else does Labour want to lower the voting age to 16, other than to target younger children for indoctrination?  The NUT would be very useful in this regard.

So Labour's secret weapon is a non affiliated union? Perhaps the NFU are secretly trying to turn Old Macdonald? Maybe the Mother's Union are undertaking a stealth mission on MumsNet? I understand people holidaying in narrowboats on the Grand Union Canal are being issued with hammer and sickle red flags as we speak? Sure, some party members have used some unfortunate hyperbole this week, but it's a well worn rhetorical device.

These "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they have a vote?

He thinks that they'll all vote for him because they don't know any better. Its called Jezza-mandering.  He'll have his work cut out as if you are old enough to vote at 16, there are lots of other things you are old enough to do, too. You don't here the Jezza-belles and Jezza-boys shouting about these though.

Firstly, you can't get married at 16 without parental consent. How repressive and unfair is that?

They can't join the armed forces without parental consent, either. Plain wrong.

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to drive a car or motorcycle?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to sue or be sued?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to open a bank account in thier own names?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to perform professionally abroad?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to serve on a jury?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to get a tattoo?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to buy cigarettes and tobacco

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to buy and drink alcohol in a bar

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to uy fireworks

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to pawn items in a pawn shop

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to make a Will

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to carry an organ donor card

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to own land, buy a house or flat & apply for a mortgage

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to drive lorries between 3500kg and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg (with the appropriate licence)

He thinks that they'll all vote for him because they don't know any better. Its called Jezza-mandering.  He'll have his work cut out as if you are old enough to vote at 16, there are lots of other things you are old enough to do, too. You don't here the Jezza-belles and Jezza-boys shouting about these though.

(snip)

No taxation without representation.

The Scottish Independence referendum showed the value of engaging the youth in matters of importance to them.  The 16/17 year old Question Time was the most mature and intelligent of any such show on the subject.  I was a bit unsure until then but that alone convinced me that they deserve the right to vote.

Firstly, you can't get married at 16 without parental consent. How repressive and unfair is that?

They can't join the armed forces without parental consent, either. Plain wrong.

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to drive a car or motorcycle?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to sue or be sued?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to open a bank account in thier own names?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to perform professionally abroad?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to serve on a jury?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to get a tattoo?

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to buy cigarettes and tobacco

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to buy and drink alcohol in a bar

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to uy fireworks

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to pawn items in a pawn shop

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to make a Will

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to carry an organ donor card

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to own land, buy a house or flat & apply for a mortgage

so if   these "young children" are old enough to work, pay tax, pay NI contributions, get married, etc etc etc  why shouldn't they be able to drive lorries between 3500kg and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg (with the appropriate licence)

Exactly, crazy isn't it?

No taxation without representation.

The Scottish Independence referendum showed the value of engaging the youth in matters of importance to them.  The 16/17 year old Question Time was the most mature and intelligent of any such show on the subject.  I was a bit unsure until then but that alone convinced me that they deserve the right to vote.

It also showed that they don't all vote the way grumpy old men think they will.