Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Jeremy Corbyn & the Labour Party

no one is pretending that reform wasnt necessary and that both sides did terrible things and that certain of these things had to be overlooked in the quest for peace, but once again, your desperate dodging and weaving to stay loyal to Jexzza dont do you any credit...not that you really care.

My loyalty is not to Jezza it's to the truth,. which is that we had no business being in NI in the first place.  As I posted earlier NI was a Protestant enclave on a Catholic island and instead of telling the prods in the early part of the 20th century to suck it up, the Tories saw political advantage over the Liberals in divide and rule.  The subsequent mess is basically all down to them.  As I stated, SOMEONE had to talk to the IRA. Banning them from the airwaves certainly didn't work. Beating confessions out of them and then jailing them for life didn't work either.  It's obvious where I come from on this issue.  I felt this way long before Jezza became the leader of the party I support. I work in an industry where to be Irish is commonplace, and you get to see the side of the story not printed by the Daily Mail, or even the BBC.

I swear this was a thread about Labour.

Anyway, they've dropped Corbyn's absolute commitment to scrapping tuition fees.

it is. and in my view he has made a decent start compared to Miliband. Drilling down to his past position about the IRA is, I think,legitimate. Its something he could address to secure more support from the "traditional"Labour voter

it is. and in my view he has made a decent start compared to Miliband. 

Not showing in the polls though.  At least not in the 'who will you vote for' ones.

If we assume they count for anything.

Not showing in the polls though.  At least not in the 'who will you vote for' ones.

Well they do have a track record of exaggerating the Labour vote.

Not showing in the polls though. At least not in the 'who will you vote for' ones.

would that be the same polls that predicted a hung pariament. in reality, there is only one poll that counts and that is in 2020..ant thats one he wont win.

still think he has made a decent start...no need to rush into manifesto committmernts yet. next test is next May's council elections.

Edited by JohnM

I swear this was a thread about Labour.

One of the reasons I didn't want Jeremy Corbyn to win the Labour leadership was because, despite whatever else he might say or do in the future, whatever worthy policies he may advocate that would genuinely improve the lives of working people, however different he may be in real life from the baby-eating, loony-lefty parody we are presented with by the media, it is the cranky historical baggage he undoubtedly carries that will constantly sidetrack every debate.

I've just spent a very interesting few days in Brighton at the Labour Party Conference as a delegate for my local CLP in Bradford South. I might write about it in more detail later, but when I see what's going on in this thread I start to wonder whether it would be worth the effort.

I've just spent a very interesting few days in Brighton at the Labour Party Conference as a delegate for my local CLP in Bradford South. I might write about it in more detail later, but when I see what's going on in this thread I start to wonder whether it would be worth the effort.

Please do, I for one would be interested to hear your thoughts. Personally I still have mixed feelings about Jeremy Corbyn for much the same reasons as you mentioned. 

Labour took a council seat of the Tories in Cherwell, Oxon yesterday. The first of many.

This better not impact my parents' house price.

You've gotta laugh at Crobyn's statement on surveilance;

“I am a democratically elected person and it turns out I was put under surveil­lance for a long time because I campaigned on human rights issues and was involved in justice campaigns".

No Jeremy, you were put under surveilance because you openly supported a terrorist organisation that was killing British citizens at the time.

Edited by Saint Toppy

No Jeremy, you were put under surveilance because you openly supported a terrorist organisation that was killing British citizens at the time.

He talked to Sinn Fein, he did NOT "openly support a terrorist" organisation. It is also the case that the spooks who were surveilling JC were actually talking to many terrorist organisations including the IRA. It is also the case that Thatcher did openly support a terrorist in the form of Pinochet, a man who murdered thousands of people.

He talked to Sinn Fein, he did NOT "openly support a terrorist" organisation. It is also the case that the spooks who were surveilling JC were actually talking to many terrorist organisations including the IRA. It is also the case that Thatcher did openly support a terrorist in the form of Pinochet, a man who murdered thousands of people.

And in what capacity was Corbyn talking to Sinn Fein - as a member of the government - NO; as a member of a parliamentary group tasked with finding a solution to the NI problems - NO, in any official capacity - NO

He was having his happy little chats with Sinn Fein purely as a friend to their leaders. He wasn't negotiating any sort of settlement or solution as he had no capacity or authority to do that.

The spooks you refer to were actually instructed by the British government to secretly hold talks to find a solution.

As for Pinochet - as despicable as he was as a person, he was the leader of a country who supported the UK during the Falklands war and Thatcher had every right to hold talks with him whether she or anybody else agreed with his policies in his own countrynor not.

Corbyn's love for Sinn Fein during a time when they were killing British citizens is exactly why this country will never elect him to lead it.

And in what capacity was Corbyn talking to Sinn Fein - as a member of the government - NO; as a member of a parliamentary group tasked with finding a solution to the NI problems - NO, in any official capacity - NO

He was having his happy little chats with Sinn Fein purely as a friend to their leaders. He wasn't negotiating any sort of settlement or solution as he had no capacity or authority to do that.

The spooks you refer to were actually instructed by the British government to secretly hold talks to find a solution.

As for Pinochet - as despicable as he was as a person, he was the leader of a country who supported the UK during the Falklands war and Thatcher had every right to hold talks with him whether she or anybody else agreed with his policies in his own countrynor not.

Corbyn's love for Sinn Fein during a time when they were killing British citizens is exactly why this country will never elect him to lead it.

Jaw jaw is better than war war - W. Churchill

Corbyn's love for Sinn Fein during a time when they were killing British citizens is exactly why this country will never elect him to lead it.

Never fails to amuse me how selective the right are in their commitment to murderers and democracy.

By the way, Sinn Fein are and were a legitimate political party with representatives elected to the UK and Irish parliaments.

A litlle whataboutism for you. Your welcome.

You've gotta laugh at Crobyn's statement on surveilance;

“I am a democratically elected person and it turns out I was put under surveil­lance for a long time because I campaigned on human rights issues and was involved in justice campaigns".

Why was Harold Wilson put under similar survellance then?  Couldn't be because the security services are full of right wing loonies could it?

Please do, I for one would be interested to hear your thoughts. Personally I still have mixed feelings about Jeremy Corbyn for much the same reasons as you mentioned.

Agree with first sentence. Might be interesting to hear if it was a rally or a conference, how much stage management there was, how the defeated candidates went on etc.

oh, well, then thats ok. nothing to do with

1.Wishful thinking on your part.

2. Infamy, infamy..they've all got it infamy...

3. The Liar's paradox

oh, well, then thats ok. nothing to do with

1.Wishful thinking on your part.

2. Infamy, infamy..they've all got it infamy...

3. The Liar's paradox

"Peter Wright claimed that he was confronted by two of his MI5 colleagues and that they said to him: "Wilson's a bloody menace and it's about time the public knew the truth", and "We'll have him out, this time we'll have him out".[11] Wright alleged that there was a plan to leak damaging information about Wilson and that this had been approved by 'up to thirty officers'.[11] As the 1974 election approached, the plan went, MI5 would leak selective details of the intelligence about Labour leaders, especially Wilson, to 'sympathetic' journalists. According to Wright MI5 would use their contacts in the press and the trade unions to spread around the idea that Wilson was considered a security risk. The matter was to be raised in Parliament for 'maximum effect'.[11] However Wright declined to let them see the files on Wilson and the plan was never carried out but Wright does claim it was a 'carbon copy' of the Zinoviev Letter which had helped destabilise the first Labour Government in 1924."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Wilson_conspiracy_theories