Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

Jeremy Corbyn & the Labour Party

40 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

You are calling Johnson 'hard right'?  Seriously? 

Why does Johnson keep meeting with Bannon?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

45 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Why does Johnson keep meeting with Bannon?

Presumably because Johnson is an MP and meeting people from a variety of persuasions and backgrounds is in the line of duty?

Heck, if we label people hard right because of who they meet then the Queen is far right AND a  communist all at the same time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

We have a problem in this country - a real problem with the growth of the hard right. Charlatans like Farage and Johnson are stoking it for their own ends. It’s not a myth. I see it on my own family’s Facebook pages. Sharing UKIP materials, calling people traitors - just two examples. People are sleep walking into the clutches these people. We live in dark times...

I agree. A generation of weak politicians desperate for the easy rabble rousing vote because that’s the limit of their talent, backed by a failing print media desperate for any sensationalism to keep their papers selling. It’s a lazy, backdoor slouch into fascism. All it needs is a competent leader and there’s little in the way to stop it. 

Our leaders of all the parties couldn’t stand up to the likes of Thatcher/Major, Blair/Smith, Kennedy and the likes. The SNP leader, Blackford, is a journeyman politician at best but he often makes the other leaders look decidedly awful. 

Even the lazy racism about the Irish is creeping back in with them being blamed for Brexit problems. 

Anyone with a competent grasp of fascist politics and the rise of mainstream extremism over the last century will see more than a few parallels with what’s going on now. 

• Like 2

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

1 hour ago, ckn said:

It’s a lazy, backdoor slouch into fascism. All it needs is a competent leader and there’s little in the way to stop it. 

ckn I think that sounds like a recipe for fascism not a way back from it. But as a country we've chosen to list to the right there's not a great distance to travel.

Edited by Oxford

"Obviously, you're never going to be as passionate about it as you are about Rugby League."  Jason Nightingale         "Is there a better sport on the planet than Rugby League?" Greg Alexander             

8 hours ago, ckn said:

I agree. A generation of weak politicians desperate for the easy rabble rousing vote because that’s the limit of their talent, backed by a failing print media desperate for any sensationalism to keep their papers selling. It’s a lazy, backdoor slouch into fascism. All it needs is a competent leader and there’s little in the way to stop it. 

Our leaders of all the parties couldn’t stand up to the likes of Thatcher/Major, Blair/Smith, Kennedy and the likes. The SNP leader, Blackford, is a journeyman politician at best but he often makes the other leaders look decidedly awful. 

Even the lazy racism about the Irish is creeping back in with them being blamed for Brexit problems. 

Anyone with a competent grasp of fascist politics and the rise of mainstream extremism over the last century will see more than a few parallels with what’s going on now. 

Meanwhile, David Lammy is of course innocent of these charges in spite of his recurring bile against Brexiteers - all 17.4 million of us.  Nothing like calling voters and MPs Nazis simply because they don't agree with your stand on an issue for encouraging balance, calmness, unity and rational consideration.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Meanwhile, David Lammy is of course innocent of these charges in spite of his recurring bile against Brexiteers - all 17.4 million of us.  Nothing like calling voters and MPs Nazis simply because they don't agree with your stand on an issue for encouraging balance, calmness, unity and rational consideration.

He didn't.

He called the people siding up to the likes of the AfD for what they are.

You are not siding with the AfD are you?  Or Bannon?  Or Batten?

• Like 4

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I think the current version of the Labour Party looks more fascist than anyone in the ERG.  And they have a very long list of anti-Semites in their ranks to give evidence to that.

You obviously haven't been paying attention to my posts on this thread since Corbyn came to power. If you had you'd realise that your pointless Whataboutery is completely wasted on this particular non fan of Corbyn.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

David Lammey may not be to everyone's taste but he's not wrong. Thread:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Another looney lefty -

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ckn said:

Absolutely. Despite Saintslass’ dismissal of point about my family, it’s plain to see. Normal hardworking people being wrapped up in a whirlwind of spin, nationalism and outright lies. They may not be hard right thinking people but when you are manipulated and naive, you do stupid things like posting clips from the AfD, sharing Tommy Robinson comments and end up voting for parties like UKIP without actually fully understanding what you are actually voting for.  The warning signs are there and excellent stuff from the likes of Lammy and Heseltine for bringing it up...

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/kingslynnblackknights/

On 15/04/2019 at 10:30, GeordieSaint said:

The warning signs are there and excellent stuff from the likes of Lammy and Heseltine for bringing it up...

Yes, but why have they've been so slow on the uptake?

I think the US asking Corbyn about antsemitism is fine, prejudice should be countered consistently, but did they ask the Teflons about Islamophobia and if they did was that covered anywhere?

This is a genuine question because it would taint the US attempts if not.

"Obviously, you're never going to be as passionate about it as you are about Rugby League."  Jason Nightingale         "Is there a better sport on the planet than Rugby League?" Greg Alexander             

On 14/04/2019 at 22:11, Saintslass said:

Presumably because Johnson is an MP and meeting people from a variety of persuasions and backgrounds is in the line of duty?

Yes but did he wear a white hood, wave slave chains and offer mint juleps to him?

Just wondered which stereotypes are just harmless attempts to amuse and which simply excusable buffoonery?

Edited by Oxford
  • Like 1

On 15/04/2019 at 08:41, Bedford Roughyed said:

This could just as well be asked of anyone more distracted by other agendas, I'm sorry to say.

In this I promise I'm not the Me or the Train Guy

Train guy: “Did you see that Camborne elected a Tory councillor? One of the poorest areas and all you can hear is BREXIT BREXIT BREXIT. No one is interested in local issues and somehow not voting is the answer.”

Me: “That’s crazy. It’s really sad how deeply divided the whole country has become. I feel like we need the government to completely collapse to force the system to change. At the moment we’ve got two leaders who no one wants - we can’t have an election based on that.”

Train guy: “Trouble is Tory voters are smart enough to know that voting is important. Labour voters talk a good game but they are mostly the weak and the broken so the will has been beaten out of them (oh and Tony Blair happened of course). All the rest are just splintered into BREXIT, Green, UKIP and their vote is worthless. The Lib Dems do well at local level but nationally just don’t have it.”

Me: “I think the problem is the central void. Labour could easily win if they just ditched Corbyn and moved towards the centre and brought people back together. You’ve got people of my parents’ generation who would quite happily vote Labour but won’t touch him with a barge pole because he’s associated with Marxism. It’s mad how triggered the older generation is by that word.”

Train guy: “I think it’s really sad that people take a word like Marxism and allow it to blind them to three decades of tireless work promoting fairness and kindness to everyone. I predict a massive swing to the right at the next election. UKIP and now the BREXIT party will drag out the bigots in their millions.”

Me: “I fear you may be right. I think there’s a massive smear campaign against Corbyn. In many ways I admire him for his authenticity and genuinely held beliefs. That said, I still can’t stand him because he’s a totally ineffective opposition to May and in being so, shares the responsibility for the mess we’re in.”

Train guy: “Without a majority his hands are rather tied. I want to see him in power before he is judged as a leader. The manifesto for the last election was spot on in most ways and if we weren't still carrying the burden of Blair I think we could have been having a very different conversation. Labour is the only credible answer to the Tories at the moment and any vote for another party is just a vote for them I’m afraid.”

Me: “The problem is they’re not a credible answer for me. And the fact that he doesn’t have a majority is a weak excuse. So often I hear Labour MPs being interviewed and even they’re not sure what their policy is on Brexit. I know it’s a changing landscape but I want to see clarity in opposition.

“For me, the opposite to Leave is Remain, the opposite to May’s dictatorship is People’s Vote, the opposite to her failure to bring the country back together after the referendum was to try and collaborate with others and find a middle ground. He’s not done any of that.” 

Train guy: “BREXIT isn’t the issue, it’s the smokescreen. The policy was very clear and any MP who failed to answer the question just didn’t like the policy and should have just said so rather than fudge the issue. We have to leave BREXIT in its own box. NHS, Schools, mental health care are the real issues that matter.”

Me: “That is completely true, but Brexit is practically the only show in town when it comes to an election. No one is going to win an election on the stuff that actually matters at the moment.”

Train guy: “We need an honest vote. How do we sweep it under the carpet and tell millions of people to forget it.”

Me: “Election or referendum?”

Train guy: “Referendum. An election would be nice but not just yet. I need to work out how to show the people around me that not voting isn’t the answer.”

Me: “The government needs to come out and admit they made a mistake, that they should never have allowed a referendum on something that none of us had enough information to make a decision on, admit that voters were misled and admit that they’ve found no way for Britain to leave the EU that would make us better off. And give everyone the opportunity to vote again on the basis that it was their fault, not the people’s fault, that the result ended up as it did.”

Train guy: “There will be life after BREXIT and I passionately believe that if its life under the Tory party we are all in real trouble.

“I want my grandchildren to have access to free healthcare and a decent education. I want jobs that pay a living wage for everyone. I want to see the massive mental health issues treated as a crisis and mended not ignored because there are still enough wage slaves.

“I want to see a clean environment at any expense to multinationals. I want to see corporations paying their taxes to support the slaves they employ.

“Time to admit it was all a game to get UKIP voters to vote Tory.”

Sometimes you have to wonder if Labour can do anything right around Jewish folk  

A daft error than malicious but still... could you ever imagine that sort of error under Alistair Campbell as media/PR lead?

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

could you ever imagine that sort of error under Alistair Campbell as media/PR lead?

What errors? No never!

Edited by Oxford

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 08:41, Bedford Roughyed said:

He didn't.

He called the people siding up to the likes of the AfD for what they are.

I heard what he said and I heard the way in which he said it.  

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

That's good.

In the meantime

"The actor Miriam Margolyes, best known for her portrayal of Professor Sprout in the Harry Potter film series, has attempted to diminish the scale and impact of the Labour antisemitism scandal by characterising it as a plot to undermine Jeremy Corbyn. In an interview given to the Radio Times, Ms Margolyes said: “I don’t think there is the extent of antisemitism in the Labour Party that people seem to imply” and stated that she believes “…it’s to do with trying to stop Corbyn from being Prime Minister.”

This was contained in an attack on the Radio Times and Miriam. It confirmed my suspicions about the whole issue. It also made me even more convinced about why this is happening. Mostly it shows what can happen if you don't agree. 

Edited by Oxford

Even bigger scandal.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Even bigger scandal.

The only benefit to the Hastings line is that as it's not covered by TfL, one can get joyously pie-eyed on the way home.

Gotta keep the M&S at Charing Cross in business.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

The only benefit to the Hastings line is that as it's not covered by TfL, one can get joyously pie-eyed on the way home.

Gotta keep the M&S at Charing Cross in business.

Got to love a Gin in a Tin.  

16 hours ago, Saintslass said:

There's a difference between hearing and comprehension. Obviously. 

2 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

There's a difference between hearing and comprehension. Obviously. 

A personal insult is always an indication that the person making the insult has lost the argument.