Who's applied for next season

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The demands of NCL compared to division 4 NWML are vastly different. We've seen clubs join from lower leagues and end up dropping out and they were div 1/2 clubs (St Cuthberts / Hindley)

Also Rangers playing day of Friday nights won't do the club any favours in a national competition. I doubt the Yorkshire clubs would want to travel on M62 on a Friday evening. Would the ground be available on Saturdays?

What do Rangers have in regards to Junior teams?

It would be a big step-up on the playing side. And they would need to strengthen. But this club is so well run I think they'd find the right players.

Regarding RL Friday nights. I think they set their stall out this season to play on Friday nights. But I think depending on what league the first team were in? Then they'd play on the appropriate day.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

It would be a big step-up on the playing side. And they would need to strengthen. But this club is so well run I think they'd find the right players.

Regarding RL Friday nights. I think they set their stall out this season to play on Friday nights. But I think depending on what league the first team were in? Then they'd play on the appropriate day.

So by 'find' you mean raid other clubs of existing players?

Surely the idea of an NCL club is to develop players (hence the juniors requirement etc).

Any two bit pub side can land a very good side for about 5 years. Be it incentives or just a group of players who want to play for that side. What happens when those players get a bit older, pub side declines. Where as the NCL club on the other side of town has been running junior sides and therefore when their decent side gets older their players are replaced by ones coming through...

Announcing that they will 'find the right players' would not go down too well with the existing NCL clubs.

Surely the idea of an NCL club is to develop players (hence the juniors requirement etc).

Any two bit pub side can land a very good side for about 5 years. Be it incentives or just a group of players who want to play for that side. What happens when those players get a bit older, pub side declines. Where as the NCL club on the other side of town has been running junior sides and therefore when their decent side gets older their players are replaced by ones coming through...

Announcing that they will 'find the right players' would not go down too well with the existing NCL clubs.

exactly the point I was referring to regarding Sharlston Rovers they have won nearly every honour there is but with the amount of clubs that surrounded the small village of Sharlston such as Stanley Rangers, Eastmoor  ,Lock lane ect they found it nigh on impossible to recruit Junior players to comply with the NCL criteria for election but all the hard work put in has paid dividends to the delight of the local community .So I totally agree with your comments. 

chappy

Do you think Manchester Rangers will apply to join? I think this league would be perfect fit for an ambitious club like Rangers.

I doubt they'd apply simply because of cost - you're talking about a travel bill of £1,000s per year.  That money would be better spent on junior development.

And all of that is before 'finding' players which do not grow on trees - they grow from years worth of bringing through good youngsters.  if you look at the NCL tables, you'll see that the non-Wigan based Greater Manchester clubs (other than Mayfield) are not exactly going well as it stands - there needs to be a bigger base to the pyramid because there has been too little focus on junior development for too long a period of time.  I looked the other day and there are a couple of junior set-ups in Rochdale, a few in Oldham, a few in Salford and NONE in Manchester, Tameside, Stockport, and just a single junior team in Trafford. Bury in Bury and Westhoughton in Bolton run juniors. It's fine to want to play in a higher league - but you need the infrastructure below first and it simply doesn't exist currently.

In time - as said on the other pages - then maybe. but until the base is there then you risk jeopardising all the work done - there are a number of recent examples of clubs who've stepped up too early and fallen away badly

In Bury or North Manchester? Interested in Rugby League? Check out the Rugby League in Bury web-site: http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/burybroncos/

Why enter the NCL if you want it to be regional? If you were to gain promotion from the regional league into National would you decline because you want to stay regional?

I'm not saying that I disagree with creating regional leagues at a lower level; but I think that part of joining NCL is that you have to be prepared to travel to all corners of the North

In my view its only in the top two divisions that the quality justifies the national aspect below that the quality of the leagues has been diluted and by regionalising you could cut costs for clubs and probably make it more attractive to players

As has been said it won't change because it's rugby league and we don't like change

Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

exactly the point I was referring to regarding Sharlston Rovers they have won nearly every honour there is but with the amount of clubs that surrounded the small village of Sharlston such as Stanley Rangers, Eastmoor  ,Lock lane ect they found it nigh on impossible to recruit Junior players to comply with the NCL criteria for election but all the hard work put in has paid dividends to the delight of the local community .So I totally agree with your comments. 

They won nearly ever honour by paying players to play for them, most lads from Sharlston played for the reserves and many locals viewed that as the real sharlston team. Now things may have changed but in all those years Sharlston didn't set up a junior team they could have started small under 8 and maybe 9,s but didn't because they just wanted glory at open age.

Any two bit pub side can land a very good side for about 5 years. Be it incentives or just a group of players who want to play for that side. What happens when those players get a bit older, pub side declines. Where as the NCL club on the other side of town has been running junior sides and therefore when their decent side gets

older their players are replaced by ones coming through...

Announcing that they will 'find the right players' would not go down too well with

the existing NCL clubs.

DON'T put words in where I never wrote them. I never said they'd raid any other clubs players. They're developing their own players and have a growing reputation in this part of Manchester so are also attracting young local players from Oldham, Salford ect. They've got four schools and the two Universities associated with them and I believe they're about to start juniors sides.

Regarding the travel costs. What's that got to do with you. That would be their concern and not yours to find the money. As for upsetting a click of NCL clubs, so what! That's what sport is all about, competition, ruffling a few few feathers. Disrupting cosy clubs who appear far to settled in their ways in my book.

But that's just my opinion. I don't know what their plans are and if they even wanted to join the NCL.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

DON'T put words in where I never wrote them. I never said they'd raid any other clubs players. They're developing their own players and have a growing reputation in this part of Manchester so are also attracting young local players from Oldham, Salford ect. They've got four schools and the two Universities associated with them and I believe they're about to start juniors sides.

Regarding the travel costs. What's that got to do with you. That would be their concern and not yours to find the money. As for upsetting a click of NCL clubs, so what! That's what sport is all about, competition, ruffling a few few feathers. Disrupting cosy clubs who appear far to settled in their ways in my book.

But that's just my opinion. I don't know what their plans are and if they even wanted to join the NCL.

There is nothing wrong with clubs wanting to better themselves and if a new club can attract players from new sources ie uni then great and good luck, also starting a junior section is the way to go forward.

If your idea of disrupting cosy clubs means signing their players that is not the way to go forward as you will soon find you don't have player loyalty.I don't know any ncl club that views it self as a cosy club they are run by volunteers and year on year is a struggle to keep these clubs running, what they don't want is some new club coming in and trying to cut corners to rise to the top but hurting other local clubs

Playing standards should play a big part in any application to join the NCL and a proven junior structure is a pre requisite or it used to be .

There is no harm in having ambition but reality has to kick in and learn to walk before you run .

The travelling demands on the NCL are a major factor to consider .

Finding the right players do they not have the right players now ?

Really thrown the teddy out of the cot with that reply.

Put the dummy back in you baby.

Did you not say: "But this club is so well run I think they'd find the right players. "

Key word: Find. 

Not develop.

As for:

Regarding the travel costs. What's that got to do with you

Show me where I mention travel costs?

Go on....

They won nearly ever honour by paying players to play for them, most lads from Sharlston played for the reserves and many locals viewed that as the real sharlston team. Now things may have changed but in all those years Sharlston didn't set up a junior team they could have started small under 8 and maybe 9,s but didn't because they just wanted glory at open age.

why dwell on the past cut out the sour grapes and welcome the future of a new era for Sharlston rovers and by the way Danny Grimshaw played for sharlston and didn't get a penny and that's an honest fact.

chappy

why dwell on the past cut out the sour grapes and welcome the future of a new era for Sharlston rovers and by the way Danny Grimshaw played for sharlston and didn't get a penny and that's an honest fact.

You brought up all the honours nothing to do with sour grapes and don't know why u mention Danny Grimshaw does that mean the other 16 players we all paid.

The clubs will vote and decide

You brought up all the honours nothing to do with sour grapes and don't know why u mention Danny Grimshaw does that mean the other 16 players we all paid.

The clubs will vote and decide

No you obviously seem to have an agenda with Sharlston rovers or you wouldn't have mentioned anything derogatory regarding anyone being paid if you hadn't got one. I only mentioned grimmer as I brought him up  and know for a fact he never received any payments what so ever . You veered off the proper subject to just to spew your bile about payment to give the club a bad image before other readers the subject was how the club was progressing towards getting NCL status . hope your not a local team supporter who over the years have been beaten on many occasions by Sharlston and thought it might be a good idea to try and paint a bad image of the club to avenge such beatings lol . I am sure the club would like to be chosen on merit and that the NCL will ignore such bigotry remarks . 

chappy

In any other sport they don't have seven national divisions and there's usually several steps between national league and county leagues.

Are you blind

(A) Add more divisions to the NCL

(B) Lower or turn a blind eye to the entrance criteria

© Stop the winter leagues from starting their own winter conference

(D) Regionalise the lower division to admit more clubs

(E) we don't really want pub teams, just added this one because IMO the RFL don't.

(F) Control of the cream the rest can die

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Really thrown the teddy out of the cot with that reply.

Put the dummy back in you baby.

Did you not say: "But this club is so well run I think they'd find the right players. "

Key word: Find. 

Not develop.

As for:

Show me where I mention travel costs?

Go on....

Oh, another internet hardman. I'll definitely leave this NCL thread alone in future. It's obviously a little club for the real RL fan.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

It reminds me of a club called Essex Eels who joined National League 3 on the back of having good juniors despite having a very weak first team. It didn't do anyone any favours, least of all their young first team players

No you obviously seem to have an agenda with Sharlston rovers or you wouldn't have mentioned anything derogatory regarding anyone being paid if you hadn't got one. I only mentioned grimmer as I brought him up  and know for a fact he never received any payments what so ever . You veered off the proper subject to just to spew your bile about payment to give the club a bad image before other readers the subject was how the club was progressing towards getting NCL status . hope your not a local team supporter who over the years have been beaten on many occasions by Sharlston and thought it might be a good idea to try and paint a bad image of the club to avenge such beatings lol . I am sure the club would like to be chosen on merit and that the NCL will ignore such bigotry remarks . 

I have no agenda, all I have mentioned as far as I am aware is he truth.

The NCL Management will decide if they will support the application but in the end it will be down to the clubs to decide, I do not think for one minute nay postings on here make any difference to what the clubs will vote.

You use strong words like spewing bile maybe you just have a big chip on your shoulder and think all teams don't like you, personally I would always prefer to see a team that doesn't play players to win as opposed one that does.If Sharlston no longer pay players I think in the long run it will make a stronger club.

I have no agenda, all I have mentioned as far as I am aware is he truth.

The NCL Management will decide if they will support the application but in the end it will be down to the clubs to decide, I do not think for one minute nay postings on here make any difference to what the clubs will vote.

You use strong words like spewing bile maybe you just have a big chip on your shoulder and think all teams don't like you, personally I would always prefer to see a team that doesn't play players to win as opposed one that does.If Sharlston no longer pay players I think in the long run it will make a stronger club.

Finally the Penny has dropped omg well done for that enough said.

chappy

• 3 weeks later...

Anything that Mc/r do in Oldham im sure would be much appreciated by the Oldham public, as lookin at an Oldham local paper report last week they are playing Yawnion in the schools now ( maybe something to do with teachers coming from a yawnion background ) you only have to look at the local clubs now,  all the strongest in their own Leagues , ie. propping the rest of the division up, and how far they have fallen over last 10 years or so , see Saddleworth , Oldham St Annes,  and Waterhead 

20447_346989162151_776477151_4748963_7475038_s.jpg

Archived