Sign in to follow this  
Maximus Decimus

Low Grand Final Ticket Sales?

Accommodation prices might have an impact. A cursory glance on laterooms shows bog standard hotels asking over £300 a night in the city centre for that date.

Better-off getting a Hotel in Oldham, Ashton, Bury ect and jumping on the Metrolink to either Old Trafford or the Etihad on the day.

Better-off getting a Hotel in Oldham, Ashton, Bury ect and jumping on the Metrolink to either Old Trafford or the Etihad on the day.

Has been said before-the semi-finalists are within driving distance of Old Trafford -why stay overnight !

Has been said before-the semi-finalists are within driving distance of Old Trafford -why stay overnight !

You're assuming all fans of the clubs live nearby though...........some live in other parts of the country!

Who on earth would pay over £100 to watch England Union smash some amateurs from Uruguay? These people aren't wired up right

Tickets for the Etihad game started from £30 for adults according to the advertising posters around Manchester.

I know a large group from Preston Grasshoppers are all travelling down for it.

The GF crowd won't suffer from the union game being played.

As a spectacle the GF event last year was the best selling tool any sport could wish for.

Tickets for the Etihad game started from £30 for adults according to the advertising posters around Manchester.

I know a large group from Preston Grasshoppers are all travelling down for it.

I don't think so. 30quid? Na! They were over a one-er

Yes, and for many paying £100+ it could be the most expensive dead rubber they've ever attended if the Aussies do the business on Saturday.

The GF crowd won't suffer from the union game being played.

As a spectacle the GF event last year was the best selling tool any sport could wish for.

It's not the normal sports fans but the neutrals and eventers. In reality there are probably a fair number in the 70k who aren't even that big RL fans. I found out a fella at my work has a ticket for the final and asked me who was playing in it!

It's not unreasonable (or being a doom monger) to discuss whether a relatively significant number might have chose the Union game instead and whether it might be affecting the attendance.

I cannot discern your "motivation". It was interesting that the only figure you choose to highlight is the lowest one.

Anybody following our game or watching it for the first time over the last 2 months is likely to be struck by the spell binding skill and excitement, rather that want to be a prophet of doom. We had for instance thousands of similar threads and predictions before the last World Cup - and that turned out superbly. It's easy to see any signs in the wind of impending disaster and compare it with another group of people. Let's face it, compared with truly global sports like cycling, motorsports, football, tennis our colonial games are all trivial affairs.

If you want to start a thread knocking us in some hypothetical future against another game, there are lots of places you can find a home for them.

The Grand Final will be very well attended indeed, and enjoyed by everyone privileged to be there. I hope you will come along and bring your mates.

Seriously this says more about your own insecurities than anything else.

The fact is that 50,000 rugby fans will be at a game in the same city on the same night. It was nothing to do with the effect of the Union WC on RL, only you read that into it. Any large event on the same night with a crossover of fans would've been mentioned in the same way. Your perception of it as a doom monger thread instead of one of small concern is about your own insecurity rather than the reality.

I'm not somebody who believes in talking the game down but I also don't believe that a forum should be a PR exercise for RL where concerns and worries aren't discussed. In a separate thread I recently discussed how I thought 25k sold for Eng vs NZ means we should see a healthy crowd and maybe even sellout.

The way a forum works is simple. If you see a thread you basically have two choices,

A: If it is a topic that interests you, you read and maybe post.

B: If it is a topic that doesn't interest you, you don't read and don't post.

Anything outside of this simple format causes inevitable problems and derailments. I suggest you take heed.

Exiled wiganer aka 'Blake' doesn't like if you hold a different opinion to his. He'll try and bully you until you stop posting your opinions.

His posts are the bitter type holding RL back in the dark ages, time to move on and embrace the new world my friend.

We've a lot to look forward to in the lead up to the next RLWC.

Exiled wiganer aka 'Blake' doesn't like if you hold a different opinion to his. He'll try and bully you until you stop posting your opinions.

His posts are the bitter type holding RL back in the dark ages, time to move on and embrace the new world my friend.

I agree but this topic is nothing to do with the RLWC or the RUWC aside from the fact that that tournament will result in 50,000 fans being in Manchester the same night as the GF. 

Failure to accept discussion of anything that might not be positive is pure insecurity. A strong, confident organisation or person isn't concerned by some people talking about negative aspects. This thread is the perfect case, it is hardly crying about the end of RL to discuss whether the GF crowd might be down this year and hardly a Union based thread to speculate that this may be linked to a big game played on the same night in the same city.

EW is obviously so worried about the potential effect of the RUWC that he jumped on the thread trying to get it shut down and moved to the cross code forum. 

Seriously this says more about your own insecurities than anything else.

The fact is that 50,000 rugby fans will be at a game in the same city on the same night. It was nothing to do with the effect of the Union WC on RL, only you read that into it. Any large event on the same night with a crossover of fans would've been mentioned in the same way. Your perception of it as a doom monger thread instead of one of small concern is about your own insecurity rather than the reality.

I'm not somebody who believes in talking the game down but I also don't believe that a forum should be a PR exercise for RL where concerns and worries aren't discussed. In a separate thread I recently discussed how I thought 25k sold for Eng vs NZ means we should see a healthy crowd and maybe even sellout.

The way a forum works is simple. If you see a thread you basically have two choices,

A: If it is a topic that interests you, you read and maybe post.

B: If it is a topic that doesn't interest you, you don't read and don't post.

Anything outside of this simple format causes inevitable problems and derailments. I suggest you take heed.

Having taken heed, here is the reason behind that particular response. For months prior to the RLWC, we we're subjected to prophet of doom threads. As every one of those was proven to be inaccurate, I have developed a trigger finger of annoyance when, in advance of something which is bound to turn out fine, we are subjected to - the game's on its kness we won't have any fans. If I hadn't read so many of them in the past, I would let it go.

In so far as you want to show a different sport in a better light, that's fine. There is a lovely forum for that. Of which you may wish to take heed. :)

Where to start...

The "insecurity" point always makes me laugh. Will you be attending The Grand Final - if so, I'd be pleased to buy you a drink and put your mind at rest. Perhaps I should know this, but what's your team? Been following "our" game long? Are you going to the World Cup? So looking forward to getting to NZ. Going to be bigger than big.

As to league being in the dark ages, my experience of the game only encompasses Wigan. London, Sydney, South France and Brisbane and the game has never been in ruder help. We have the most vibrant international game in my life time, with breath taking skills on show in both comps every week.

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

Having taken heed, here is the reason behind that particular response. For months prior to the RLWC, we we're subjected to prophet of doom threads. As every one of those was proven to be inaccurate, I have developed a trigger finger of annoyance when, in advance of something which is bound to turn out fine, we are subjected to - the game's on its kness we won't have any fans. If I hadn't read so many of them in the past, I would let it go.

In so far as you want to show a different sport in a better light, that's fine. There is a lovely forum for that. Of which you may wish to take heed. :)

This thread was clearly nothing to do with showing a sport in a better light. It was in no way set up as a comparison between RL and RU. As I've said, it's your own insecurities that have let to your jumping to that conclusion. 

It was simply to suggest whether 50,000 rugby fans on the same night will have an effect on our attendance. Even if it does, it is almost certainly not going to lead to a sub 50k crowd so I really don't see how you could have seen it as setting up Union in a better light. 

I misinterpreted our intention, I am sure. We will be fine, we are always fine, just as every other prophet of doom has been wrong.

How about you write an "I told you so" post if you are right?

I am really struggling to see how comparing attendances with the other code's matches isn't either cross code or running into the dark side "world cup" free zone rule. Do you consider that dictum to be "insecure" by the way?

Edited by Exiled Wiganer

For months prior to the RLWC, we we're subjected to prophet of doom threads. As every one of those was proven to be inaccurate, 

Point of order. I only know of 2 posters who predicted 300-325k attendances across RLWC 2013 and both those held their hands up and freely admitted they had got their predictions wrong. There were not multiple threads about doom and gloom, although there were a number of posts looking for discounted tickets which pretty much sums up where we need to work harder as a sport to get people used to paying "a decent amount' to watch games.

As for the Union RWC.....if you can't admire their ability to polish a ###### and sell it at an inflated value then best you don't comment at all, because it just smacks of insecurity. They have a bigger, better supported, better sponsored, better viewed and wealthier game....unless you're going to comment on the "action (sic) on the park, best steer clear!

Back to the Grand Final. All 4 sides who could make it are within easy driving distance. Fans from rather afield will either have to suck it up and cough up or make other arrangements, but I suspect they will be numbered in the tens rather than the hundreds. 70K+ at Old Trafford and a far better spectacle than what's on offer down the road! 

As for the Union RWC.....if you can't admire their ability to polish a ###### and sell it at an inflated value then best you don't comment at all, because it just smacks of insecurity. They have a bigger, better supported, better sponsored, better viewed and wealthier game....unless you're going to comment on the "action (sic) on the park, best steer clear!

Totally agree – they show up RL officials for how badly they administer our far superior game. We need to learn from RU and the RUWC.

Sorry, off-topic, I know, but it upsets me to see how badly our game has been administered over the decades compared to yawnion.

As to the GF, perhaps if there was not a ludicrously long, 30-game regular season, people would have more cash/have more inclination to attend the GF ??

Point of order. I only know of 2 posters who predicted 300-325k attendances across RLWC 2013 and both those held their hands up and freely admitted they had got their predictions wrong. There were not multiple threads about doom and gloom, although there were a number of posts looking for discounted tickets which pretty much sums up where we need to work harder as a sport to get people used to paying "a decent amount' to watch games.

Back to the Grand Final. All 4 sides who could make it are within easy driving distance. Fans from rather afield will either have to suck it up and cough up or make other arrangements, but I suspect they will be numbered in the tens rather than the hundreds. 70K+ at Old Trafford and a far better spectacle than what's on offer down the road!

Your "point of order" is a made up point.

The second para is the one you'd love to write on here in response to pretty much every post on every topic. Now you don't want to be banned yet again for doing nothing but stirring and I appreciate that it's no fun having to change your name repeatedly, so you try and shoe horn something "positive" in. 10 out of 10 for effort. If you want to sing a hymn of praise to the other code there is a brilliant forum in which to do so.

<-----

Your "point of order" is a made up point.

The second para is the one you'd love to write on here in response to pretty much every post on every topic. Now you don't want to be banned yet again for doing nothing but stirring and I appreciate that it's no fun having to change your name repeatedly, so you try and shoe horn something "positive" in. 10 out of 10 for effort. If you want to sing a hymn of praise to the other code there is a brilliant forum in which to do so.

<-----

Still waiting for your explanation of my agenda? By the way..... There were very few doom and gloom threads pre RLWC 2013 but even less that predicted success..... Why was that?

Accommodation prices might have an impact. A cursory glance on laterooms shows bog standard hotels asking over £300 a night in the city centre for that date.

We are staying at a guest house in Sale- only about £40 and five minutes from the Metrolink and all night bus from Piccadilly to the door.