Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

10 Oct: SLGF - Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors (merged threads)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos by 13 points or more
    • Leeds Rhinos by 7 to 12 points
    • Leeds Rhinos by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more

Discuss the Super League Grand Final here:

Leeds Rhinos v Wigan Warriors

Old Trafford, Manchester

KO 6pm

It's easy to be confident on Monday, but I rate Wigan's chances. We appear fresher, which is no surprise when you consider the games played and metres/tackles of the respective front rows. We have had weeks off denied Leeds. In ordinary circumstances the end of an era motivation for Peacock et al would tip the balance, but against that is the motivation to put right everything we did wrong last year. Neither side will leave anything out there, but I will go with freshness and execution over flair and inspiration. While it's 2 games each, we won the one on neutral territory. I will change my mind on a daily basis.

One aspect of our season which has been fascinating for keen Wigan watchers (all neutrals look away now) has been Wane's tactical tweaks as we have reached the business end. In the forwards, rather than "save" the big lads' energy for defence, we have been more direct and adopted a more traditional approach than Waneball, shipping it wide and using the backs from deep. Pragmatic and effective, particularly with McIllorum moving the team around. In the backs, partly through luck, we have ended up with Burgess on great form, Manfredi rightfully ahead of Charnley, the total leaguie Bateman doing his finest Andy Goodway impression, and making sure we are watertight and dangerous down his side of the field, and Gildart, a natural centre if ever there was one, ahead of the accident waiting to happen, Gelling. With having backed Williams to great effect at 6, this evolution illustrates again how Wane is not just a fantastic developer of young talent, but an innovative tactician. Which makes the personal abuse heaped upon him as a default setting even more disappointing, and puts the lie to the damned by faint praise nature of the "Wigan just do the basics well" Jonathan Davies etc line of commentary. Not that I am chippy...

Even though I can see Wigan winning this game, Leeds are the best team this year, and it is only because of fatigue that they can be beaten.

Can't wait for this, unfortunately I am in a cottage away in the Highlands and the internet is meant to be dodgy, so I may not get to watch it live  :shout:

Think it will be an absolute cracker.

I was away in a cottage for last years game, no access at all. I got a text message through the following morning that just said, what has that idiot just done?.

Looking forward to this, Leeds to win by a Sinfield drop goal.

wigan will win  , they will be too physical for leeds , and can manipulate the speed of the play the ball to nullify the leeds attack .......that is if the ref allows them to .

wigan will win  , they will be too physical for leeds , and can manipulate the speed of the play the ball to nullify the leeds attack .......that is if the ref allows them to .

Or, can tackle in the way that every team tries to tackle.

Both teams are an absolute credit to rugby league and I love to watch both teams

It's impossible to call

I'm really impressed that young gildart has got the centre spot if indeed that is the case.

Bateman reminds me of paul gallen and young George Williams is a great talent

We have two opposing forces here

One of young endeavour and one of total team work and professionalism over many years

There is no doubting the credentials of peacock, McGuire, sinfield, burrow and leuluai

And for Leeds the unsung work horse Ablett

My prediction is that the team ethos of Leeds will see a narrow win in a total classic of a game

Leeds win for me. They've been the best team this year and I just can't see past them winning.

Wigan have been too inconsistent and have too many weaknesses.

...and it is an away fixture.

Does anybody know who the referee will be?

Thaler...

After the cup he was given a month to relax in the qualifiers before being brought back just in time for the Semi's and Grand Final.

Plus he's the best ref in SL so should be.

I'm not picky; I'll settle for a total epic of a match.

Or, as DSK would call it "rubbish cos its not NRL". :P 

I'm not picky; I'll settle for a total epic of a match.

Or, as DSK would call it "rubbish cos its not NRL". :P

Its pretty much guaranteed it'll be nowhere near as good as the NRL grand final :rolleyes:

My ABL and Lancashire tendencies dictate that I shall be shouting for Wigan on Saturday, gwan the pies!

Does anybody know who the referee will be?

Danny Mag...

...darn it!

So looking forward to this game, normally I'd be rooting for the Pies in a clash between these two teams but I'm undecided at the moment. 

I feel as though I owe Leeds summat for that enormously satisfying day they allowed me to enjoy back in August.

I don't think it will feel quite right cheering for them though, I suppose I'll know come kick off time. My God, these splinters are becoming painful.

Hoping for a rip roaring game with the result in doubt until Thaler cocks up late in the match.

Leeds 24 Wigan 26.

Soooooooo lucking forward to it.Taking my son and my brother.My brother follows football but I'll try and demonstrate just where he's been going wrong.I'll demonstrate that to watch our great game it doesn't have to cost 8 billion pounds like it does in football. For me its Wigan for the win as I'm not a Yorkie. But whoever wins I hope its a good advert for rugby league.

I would have had a slight inkling towards a very narrow Leeds victory a few weeks ago, but what changed my mind was the Wire v Wigan game, OK many will say that Wire have not been performing well, but Wigan clearly dominated and bullied Warrington into submission that night and apart from what was a great Saints performance have continued to play that way.

Wigan will play this game very very physically, and I honestly think that they will wear Leeds down. Expecting a tight first 40 with nothing in it, but as the game progresses Wigan to come through.

This could and should be a cracker. All I hope for is a game full of big hits, silky skills and endeavour from both teams for the full 80. And, judged on this seasons performances as a whole, these are the only two teams capable of giving us there chance of a classic final.

Good luck to both teams and here's hoping the best team wins.