Sign in to follow this  
Maureen T-k

2 signings announced

Featherstone Rovers are pleased to announce their first signings for the 2016 Kingstone Press Championship season with half back Anthony Thackeray and hooker Sam Day putting pen to paper for the Club.

29 year old Thackeray joins Rovers from Championship rivals Dewsbury Rams having played for a number of Clubs in both the Super League and Championship. Day, 21, is a product of the Rovers' Scholarship programme and made his first team debut earlier this season.

Rovers Head Coach Jon Sharp is delighted with the first two signings of his 2016 squad. "Thacks is one of the players to impress against us in 2015 and will add a new dimension to our attack. He is a player who the opposition knows can strike from anywhere and even if they keep a close eye on him it will leave space for our other creative players to take advantage, He is also a player who is well regarded by his peers and this has also been an aid to recruitment.

"Sam is one of a crop of young players I've been impressed with since I joined the Club and he has certainly taken his chance when called upon last season. With Andy Ellis taking a year out to concentrate on his studies Sam has an opportunity to stake a claim for a regular place in the 17."

Thackeray is pleased to be joining the Club on a three year contract which will also see him undertake work with the Rovers' Foundation, something he is looking forward to. "I've enjoyed my time at Dewsbury but this move will give me the opportunity to combine my playing career with community work at the same Club which I think will have a significant benefit all round. Jon Sharp and Mark Campbell are putting together an exciting squad and I hope to play my part in ensuring the team has a successful 2016. I've worked in the community departments at Hull FC and Widnes Vikings and I'm keen to continue this with the Rovers' Foundation. It's a pleasure to be able to work in these environments and as well as developing young talent I also hope to be able to encourage more youngsters to come to the matches."

Sam Day is looking forward to a new challenge under Sharp and is eager to get started and build on his 2015 performances. "I enjoyed last season and it was great feeling to be able to pull on a first team shirt having progressed through the ranks at Featherstone. The trip to Catalans has to be my highlight of the season, especially going over for a try and I can't wait to get back into training and look to improve even further in 2016."

Good to see Jon Sharp confirm my report from last week that Andy Ellis hasn't retired and is taking a year out to study at Uni for teacher training.

I hope he's approaching Matty Dale to see if he wants to come back? He's now qualified and working in a school, which would hopefully fit in with training and playing.

Regarding Thackeray: I rated him above Gaz Moore before Sunday, but on reflection his outstanding performance in the final highlighted just how inconsistant he was. Hopefully we'll get it week in, week out with Thacks.

Too good signings well done Fev lets hope we get some good forwards because without them Thackery won't shine ( no half back does )

With a whole three quarter line gone, we also need some quality here

Good to see Jon Sharp confirm my report from last week that Andy Ellis hasn't retired and is taking a year out to study at Uni for teacher training.

Andy Ellis and family confirmed this weeks ago on FB page he was off on a teaching course so to some this was common knowledge

Reckon thats luke teasdale done for sharp has told him he,s not required personally i rated him so for the record good look luke werever you end up

Reckon thats luke teasdale done for sharp has told him he,s not required personally i rated him so for the record good look luke werever you end up

And yet he's not on the list of departures.

I'd suggest the number nine shirt is wide open. Andy E has been doing it by himself the last few matches. It's up to Wildie, Day or Luke or whoever to stake their claim.

Going to York I'm told.

Too good signings well done Fev lets hope we get some good forwards because without them Thackery won't shine ( no half back does )

thackeray,moore, and  liam  finn  (who  played  behind  a  very  strong  pack)could   not   match   paul   handforth  in   the   number   seven   thirt,and   powell   didn't  want him.

Paul Handforth buggered off on holiday in the middle of the season, I'm not surprised Powell didn't want him.

liam  finn  (who  played  behind  a  very  strong  pack)could   not   match   paul   handforth  in   the   number   seven   thirt

One's been playing for a top-5 SL team this season, the other's been in a Championship 1 outfit, which I think tells you all you need to know.

One's been playing for a top-5 SL team this season, the other's been in a Championship 1 outfit, which I think tells you all you need to know.

paul   handfoth  is  in  his   mid   thirties   now  im  talking   about   as   players   at   their   best,he   did   play   in   S.L with   wakey.liam  finn  left   rovers    and    went   back   to   dewsbury  when   we    got   relegated  followed   the   money.i   have   watched  rugby   league   for   sixty   years   and   if   moore ,  thackeray   and   finn   are   better   players  than   handforth  i  must  be   blind.

We differ in our opinion.

I thought Handforth was a 1:4 decent game ratio. The other three games of that 4 being ordinary to tripe.

Off the field he wasn't regarded as a positive influence on the squad and the morale of the place was said to improve massively after his departure.

Liam Finn's 2nd spell at Rovers was far better than anything Handforth had to offer - in my opinion!

Edited by Robin Evans

We differ in our opinion.

I thought Handforth was a 1:4 decent game ratio. The other three games of that 4 being ordinary to tripe.

Off the field he wasn't regarded as a positive influence on the squad and the morale of the place was said to improve massively after his departure.

Liam Finn's 2nd spell at Rovers was far better than anything Handforth had to offer - in my opinion!

Interesting isn't it,  perceptions of players. At Batley, Handforth was instrumental in our most successful seasons in recent years, led us to our highest league placing and cup success. Personally, l thought he was outstanding while with us, and rarely had a poor game.

But as you often quote Robin, C'est la Vie!

Don't judge Thackeray on his early career, he was a running, high scoring half-back in his early years, and even played full back at Widnes. But for the last few years his game has been developing as an organiser and playmaker, without losing any of his poaching instinct. His kicking game has also come on leaps and bound, I believe he will do us proud.

As all ex or current Fax players I would take Finn every time and then Handforth, Moore, and Thackery. Might change my mind after this season though.

LOL Handforth hahaha he has a bigger belly than Nigel Wood . with his attitude he will never be anything other than a player in the lower half of the league. Thinking about it Fax is probably right for him.

LOL Handforth hahaha he has a bigger belly than Nigel Wood . with his attitude he will never be anything other than a player in the lower half of the league. Thinking about it Fax is probably right for him.

context
ˈkɒntɛkst/
noun
noun: context; plural noun: contexts
  1. the circumstances that form the setting for an event, statement, or idea, and in terms of which it can be fully understood.
    "the proposals need to be considered in the context of new European directives"
    synonyms: circumstances, conditions, surroundings, factors, state of affairs; More
    "the historical context out of which the novel arose"
    frame of reference, contextual relationship;
    "the quote taken out of context trivializes a dreadful crime"
    • the parts of something written or spoken that immediately precede and follow a word or passage and clarify its meaning.
      "skilled readers use context to construct meaning from words as they are read"