Why have Huddersfield Giants missed out ?

I agree with P Carter and Dave. The game will never progress if the criteria is used to enable the same 3 teams to play each time.

For what it is worth, as Grand Final runners up Wigan clearly had a strong case to be included.

The Rl then had a perfect opportunity to break new ground and award the third place to a new side. They did not do so.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with P Carter and Dave. The game will never progress if the criteria is used to enable the same 3 teams to play each time.

For what it is worth, as Grand Final runners up Wigan clearly had a strong case to be included.

The Rl then had a perfect opportunity to break new ground and award the third place to a new side. They did not do so.

Wigan didn't need a "strong case" they met previously defined criteria to qualify for the Series. Saints criteria was unique as it was defined after events to suit them

Giants "qualified" last season too but declined to join in because they didn't want to underwrite the costs for the aussies

I suspect the same has happened again and the giants have said "no thanks"

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say the reason is the main aim is to get to old Trafford - anything that can distract or jepordise that is rejected

how did Hudds qualify last year? Positions are decided after the full season ends.

Ie. Say Wire had won the GF from outside the top 3 last year, by your process, they wouldnt have been in.

Wigan didn't need a "strong case" they met previously defined criteria to qualify for the Series. Saints criteria was unique as it was defined after events to suit them

Yeah right.  The fact that the RFL said from the outset that if a team won the treble a third team would be chosen by them - yes them, the RFL (not Saints) - means that Saints' involvement is as much part of the criteria for qualification this year as is Wigan.

Yeah right.  The fact that the RFL said from the outset that if a team won the treble a third team would be chosen by them - yes them, the RFL (not Saints) - means that Saints' involvement is as much part of the criteria for qualification this year as is Wigan.

No it isn't. Wigan qualified because by getting to the GF. As soon as they were there they had qualified. Saints were later invited. 

Yeah right. The fact that the RFL said from the outset that if a team won the treble a third team would be chosen by them - yes them, the RFL (not Saints) - means that Saints' involvement is as much part of the criteria for qualification this year as is Wigan.

From the RFL press release announcing the 2016 participants before the end of the season. I have quoted it before but for some reason you refuse to either read it or believe it:

"If a Super League club was to win two of the three trophies this season then the third World Club Series place would go to the First Utility Super League runners up."

Wigan were runners up so met the criteria to qualify for the series. Nothing was said about a treble, only a double

EDIT - Link below to the full press release (dated July '15)

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/32816/2016-world-club-series-confirmed

From the RFL press release announcing the 2016 participants before the end of the season. I have quoted it before but for some reason you refuse to either read it or believe it:

"If a Super League club was to win two of the three trophies this season then the third World Club Series place would go to the First Utility Super League runners up."

Wigan were runners up so met the criteria to qualify for the series. Nothing was said about a treble, only a double

EDIT - Link below to the full press release (dated July '15)

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/32816/2016-world-club-series-confirmed

Nay,nay and thrice nay.Saints were runners up(apparently)

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

The RFL seem to be taking a lot of heat because they are covering up for Huddersfield's small team mentality - they should just come out and say Hudds rejected the chance again.

I agree

I personally am unhappy with their lack of vision

Archived