Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

Auz/NZ Test match in Perth

That's Perth, Western Australia, before any Scottish readers get excited. ;) 

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/29837496/rugby-league-test-for-perth/

Australia and New Zealand, the top two teams in the world, will play the first Test staged in Perth at nib Stadium in October (2016) with the National Rugby League and the State Government set to finalise the deal.

Both teams will use the game in their build-up to the Rugby League Four Nations tournament in England and Scotland in October and November.

Yakstorm alluded to this on the general forum. If this is confirmed then it looks like there will be at least one WC game in Perth in 2017. What price England being one of the participants?

I know the Rabbitohs take a game there every now and then, but I'm pleased WA are getting a bit extra on top of that. 

I take it this is to soften the blow of the NRL putting expansion in Perth on hold for the foreseeable future. Still a good move anyhow.

I take it this is to soften the blow of the NRL putting expansion in Perth on hold for the foreseeable future. Still a good move anyhow.

Apparently it's part of the deal that sees a WC game in Perth.

Aus v NZ weeks prior to playing each other in the 4 nations. This match is Test Match overkill.

I know, why don't they play each other in additional warm ups in Wellington, Central Coast and Woollongong?

Should have been a four way including Samoa and PNG against the two big sides.

SP

Aus v NZ weeks prior to playing each other in the 4 nations. This match is Test Match overkill.

I know, why don't they play each other in additional warm ups in Wellington, Central Coast and Woollongong?

Should have been a four way including Samoa and PNG against the two big sides.

SP

I do hope that you are joking when you're saying it's Test Match overkill

I do hope that you are joking when you're saying it's Test Match overkill

Not at all. A test match should mean something not follow the route of cricket and soccer and be used as warm ups. This is a pointless test, immediately prior to an important four nations series.

Not at all. A test match should mean something not follow the route of cricket and soccer and be used as warm ups. This is a pointless test, immediately prior to an important four nations series.

It's the only opportunity the Aussies will have had to watch their national team on their own turf in 18 months and it takes the game to a newish area and can generate $$$ for the international game. If the NRL hadn't got rid of the Anzac test then fair enough but given the paucity of international RL opportunities, there is nothing wrong with this 

Perth will host its first ever Rugby League international in 2016 - a clash between Australia and New Zealand on October 15.

The nib Stadium Test match will be staged prior to the 2016 Four Nations Tournament in the UK and will be an important lead-in match for both teams.

2016 IN PERTH
June 5 – South Sydney v Gold Coast at nib Stadium
July 16 – Manly Warringah Sea Eagles v Warriors at nib Stadium
October 15 – Australia v New Zealand at nib Stadium

http://www.nrl.com/perth-to-host-october-test-match/tabid/10874/newsid/91450/default.aspx

With perth hosting a test match and 2 NRL games is this the clearest sign yet that the city of Perth will be hosting a NRL franchise soon?

The aussies can announce a friendly date and venue but we can't sort out the actual tournament dates and venues....

I'd guess this means the actual 4 Nations will begin on the weekend of Oct 29/30. Although with the NFL at Wembley on the 30th, maybe they'll start the tournament in the north, and then come down to London the following week... if they can book the Olympic Stadium for that weekend. Who knows. Come on RFL, I wanna buy tickets!