Sign in to follow this  
Worcester Hawks

Your favourite Hunslet players

With some former players rejoining the club recently, it's got me reminiscing about former seasons and players.

I think my all-time favourite Hunslet player is probably Eric Fitzsimons, though Johnny Wolford, Bryan Murrell and Latham Tawhai all came close. Favouriite current player is Liam Mackay.

How about you guys?

EDITED: Quite how I didn't add Graham King to the list above is beyond me!

Edited by Worcester Hawks

Parkside - Geoff Gunney, John Griffiths, Bill Ramsey

Greyhound Stadium - Peter Muscroft, Steve Lane, George Standidge

Elland Road - Graham King, Johnny Wolford, Alan Platt

South Leeds Stadium - Danny Grimshaw, Danny Fearon, Paul Mannson

Parkside : as a raggy arsed young kid from the back to backs of Hunslet , my fav players were 1st Gunney , Gabbitas and our fullbak Marshall.

Grayhound stadium  : Sulipa an Aboriginie who played on the wing for us totally fearless. 

Elland Road : Graham King the best scrum half in the game at that time and after. :Paul  Car  The Australian who played second row for us , and played at Wembley and helped Sheffield beat Wigan in the final.

Johnny Woolford the loose forward magician. Eric Keebie fullback was pretty good too.

Batley for 2 seasons , my memory eludes me , and others on here , cannot for the life of me remember any players from that time , and I went to all the games there , and we got promotion to the top league with Wigan , with us finishing 2nd on one of the seasons there, in fact we drew at home with Wigan that year, anyone else remember that ?

South Leeds Stadium : Paul Manson the New Zealand genius of a player, must be the best Huns player ever to play at the South Leeds Stadium. Baker who played on the wing. Keinhorst from Leeds always played great for us.

Parkside : as a raggy arsed young kid from the back to backs of Hunslet , my fav players were 1st Gunney , Gabbitas and our fullbak Marshall.

Grayhound stadium : Sulipa an Aboriginie who played on the wing for us totally fearless.

Elland Road : Graham King the best scrum half in the game at that time and after. :Paul Car The Australian who played second row for us , and played at Wembley and helped Sheffield beat Wigan in the final.

Johnny Woolford the loose forward magician. Eric Keebie fullback was pretty good too.

Batley for 2 seasons , my memory eludes me , and others on here , cannot for the life of me remember any players from that time , and I went to all the games there , and we got promotion to the top league with Wigan , with us finishing 2nd on one of the seasons there, in fact we drew at home with Wigan that year, anyone else remember that ?

South Leeds Stadium : Paul Manson the New Zealand genius of a player, must be the best Huns player ever to play at the South Leeds Stadium. Baker who played on the wing. Keinhorst from Leeds always played great for us.

When we played at Batley we were in 2nd division both seasons. We didn't get promotion? I was 7 to 9 when we played there but I'll have a go at a team...

Paul Briers

Steve Hullock

Bryan Murrell

Eric Fitzsimmons

Ian Nicholson

Steve Lane

Tony Dean

Geoff Wright

Murray Netzler

Neil Lean

Steve Ray bold

Danny Rowe

Alan Griffiths

Others...

Billy Foley

Martin Nicholson

Ian Marsden (leg amputated)

Graham King

Phil Gibson

Francis Jarvis

Tony Johnson

Thanks Penola for the info.

Don't know how I could have forgotten some of these players , but I did do.

Tony Dean a brilliant scrum half one of my favourite players , thought no one could replace him when he retired , but a certain Graham King

did just that and more. 

Bryan Murrell a classy stand off , not the fastest of players , but a clever player none the less.

Paul Briers never let you down at fullback , A tackling machine. 

Still seem to remember drawing at home with Wigan , 10-10 I think the score was, and after they had beat everyone else all season home & away that year 

when they became champions ? 

Thought we went up as runner up that year, I was wrong on that one then.

Having followed the game since 1988 and being a batley fan I recognise hardly any of the players. Are they all mainly pre millennia?

Having followed the game since 1988 and being a batley fan I recognise hardly any of the players. Are they all mainly pre millennia?

From which era? When Hunslet played our home games at Batley? That was 80 to 82

Surprised no mention of David Plange, I think I've spelt it right. There was a few good players in your GF winning team 1999,the hooker for one I can't think of is name,should do really he was a Dewsbury lad. What about Paul Harkin?

Does anyone remember Stan Moyser playing down at Parkside?.

I remember him getting picked a lot but not seeing him play much. He was usually sent off in first 10 minutes. Hunslet got a warning from the RL I believe about his behaviour. 

Yes that's right he took no prisoners, loved him, certainly knew how to liven s game up. Also I think he was also a wrestler....and as mentioned earlier Arthur Render he was a character with the ginger hair all over, bald patch,front tooth missing and best of all..his grin...unforgettable...

Does anyone remember Ted Carroll, the guy with the dodgy nose who was in Flash Gordon.

He played in the 1948 Challenge cup semi-final at Headingley, against Bradford Northern...............?

Surprised no mention of David Plange, I think I've spelt it right. There was a few good players in your GF winning team 1999,the hooker for one I can't think of is name,should do really he was a Dewsbury lad. What about Paul Harkin?

richard patch pachniuk?

Mark moxon was a decent player in awful times

Can't believe I missed Peter Muscroft.

Sterling and Plange were great but have we ever had a player who had the crowd on their feet every time he touched the ball. As a kid I remember him chipping the ball over the defence and always winning the foot race to the ball. I was ball boy on his debut at the Greyhound Stadium when he scored 2 tries. I think he was up against Jack Austin that day but can't be sure.

Top top player.

Can't believe I missed Peter Muscroft.

As a kid I remember him chipping the ball over the defence and always winning the foot race to the ball. I was ball boy on his debut at the Greyhound Stadium when he scored 2 tries. I think he was up against Jack Austin that day but can't be sure.

Top top player.

I and a friend of mine know Jack Austin and my friend said to Jack when Bramley were due to play Hunslet ''Muscroft will kick the ball over your head and run round you to score''. Jack said ' I bet you he won't''. I''I bet you he will replied my friend''. It went on like this for a while without any  money being laid out. Come the Sunday and the first time Muscroft got the ball, he chipped ahead but he didn't run round Jack, the elbow under the chin stopped that. Tough customer Jack.