Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GLENNGARY

Curiosity killed the cat!

A few weeks ago John Roddy stated that the club had done a deal for a plot of land for the new ground. As there has been no follow up news I am starting to get very curious has to where the land could be. Any ideas fellow fans?

Could be agecroft or plenty of land where my old school used to be at little Hulton, I've the old Hulton high school site. I just hope we don't have the same saga as before promising agecroft with no hope of it ever happening, it needs a cast iron timetable with fans kept informed every step of the way on what happens in regards to a new ground.

Edited by juliancaine

For any modern ground/stadium to become a success it needs a few basics. Firstly it needs to be accessible. So public transport must be a priority. Somewhere near a train station is ideal. Especially with the propsed Wigan to Marple Tram Train line, which would run through the current Swinton and Moorside stations linking the Tram Train line into the Metrolink system. This would make Swinton accessible to new supporters as well as old ones and could really help grow the club. Get the location wrong, and the club stagnates. Also having a stadium near to pubs, restaurants is also a bonus. The site near Moorside station, I think it was called St Ambrose would have been a very good location. But that's dead in the water now? I believe.

The site near Moorside station, I think it was called St Ambrose would have been a very good location. But that's dead in the water now? I believe.

That 'site' at Wardley sank like a stone years and years ago.

Will probably be offered some 'remote' and 'unloved' site on the fringes of S & P in much the same way the Pinks were brow beaten into accepting their now unpopular location on the fringes of Eccles next to the ship canal.

The field off Stanwell Road would have been everyone's choice with a central location, loads of buses on the A6, Swinton railway station and pubs galore but local authorities don't 'do ideal stadium locations' for needy sports clubs do they?

In hindsight, perhaps the club should have stayed at Chorley Road way back in 1929 and sod the Wall Street crash.

That 'site' at Wardley sank like a stone years and years ago.

Will probably be offered some 'remote' and 'unloved' site on the fringes of S & P in much the same way the Pinks were brow beaten into accepting their now

unpopular location on the fringes of Eccles next to the ship canal.

The field off Stanwell Road would have been everyone's choice with a central location, loads of buses on

the A6, Swinton railway station and pubs galore but local authorities don't 'do ideal stadium locations' for needy sports clubs do they?

In hindsight, perhaps the club

Shoulder have stayed at Chorley Road way back in 1929 and sod the Wall Street crash.

Pity the council can't see the benefits of a town centre location for Swinton RLFC. It would help revitalise the town centre and give Swinton a profile beyond its population. And the town would get its identity back...... but hey ho. What do we know.

Pity the council can't see the benefits of a town centre location for Swinton RLFC. It would help revitalise the town centre and give Swinton a profile beyond its population. And the town would get its identity back...... but hey ho. What do we know.

You tell 'em buster!

STOP MOANING!!!!!! Someone posts that JR may have been offered a plot of land for the possibility of a new home of our own, something that we all yearn for and what do we get? Moaning already!

STOP MOANING!!!!!! Someone posts that JR may have been offered a plot of land for the possibility of a new home of our own, something that we

all yearn for and what do we get? Moaning already!

it's a public Rugby League forum. And I don't think anyone is moaning. Just talking about the benefits and

pitfalls of where a possible stadium will be located.

OldhamRLFC were given a plot of land called Whitebank in 2010. And it's a dump. So it would be prudent to scrutinise any location for a Potential new stadium.

Personally I think Mr Roddy is doing a fantastic job at Swinton. And he wouldn't just take a building plot that wasn't in the best interests of Swinton RLFC.

Edited by MancRL

it's a public Rugby League forum. And I don't think anyone is moaning. Just talking about the benefits and

pitfalls of where a possible stadium will be located.

Personally I think Mr Roddy is doing a fantastic job at Swinton. And he wouldn't just take a building plot that wasn't in the best interests of Swinton RLFC.

You tell 'em again buster! Publish and be damned!

And yes, I totally agree John Roddy (and his board) is doing a great job. The downfall of the old regime a couple of years ago has opened up an exciting new pathway for the club and us all.

[quote name="MancRL" post="3222071" timestamp

Exactly. If they were offered the possibility of a plot they would be thinking exactly the same things as you are. If they've accepted then it should be in the best location possible.

Let's wait and see where it is before we start dissecting it!

Exactly. If they were offered the possibility of a plot they would be thinking exactly the same things as you are. If they've accepted then it should be in the best location possible.

Let's wait and see where it is before we start dissecting it!

But this is a forum, where people swap ideas, speculate, inform, gossip. Ect. It would be pretty dull if we have to be quite and not talk about news and events in the Rugby League world.

Thought we had been told it was agecroft. Again.

Just out of my curiosity, does Lumbs Lane fall under Agecroft? Drove through there the other week. And I was looking at all the vacant land and thought to myself this would be a good place for SwintonRLFC (Apart from a Swinton town centre location) it also ticked one of my boxes for a stadium location with a train station called Clifton and a direct route to Manchester and Bolton..... Just a thought.

There's been a number of meetings with the council (the last of which was just a few days ago) & there are 2 possible sites as well as a lease on one of those locations under discussion. We can't just pick a site, obviously we have to work with what is feasible. The mechanism through which we hope the funding will be achieved is also advancing. I think what has to be understood is that as a new club we've had to start again from scratch on this, and whilst everyone has shown remarkable patience for 23 years unfortunately it's going to take a little longer yet. We need to get our ducks in order but I think we're doing that.

But this is a forum, where people swap ideas, speculate, inform, gossip. Ect. It would be pretty dull if we have to be quite and not talk about news and events in the Rugby League world.

Couldn't agree more. But sometimes on this forum people continue to harp on about what's gone wrong in the past and what we should have done is ........blah blah.

I welcome new discussion but negative comments continually rehashed is not healthy.

None of this applies to you btw!

None of this applies to you btw!

'btw'? Sorry, but can't figure out what this is supposed to represent. Interpreter please.

Hang on, penny just dropped, 'by the way' yes?

Just out of my curiosity, does Lumbs Lane fall under Agecroft?

This has crossed my mind recently too. The old M.E.L. sports field on Lumns Lane was a good field at one time. I even played on it once in my youth for the old Swinton Supporters RL team in mid '60s. Within the last year or so it's been enclosed behind a high metal fence and looks like any other piece of derelict land. A bit remote from the 'top road' but is further away from the Salford border area. Clifton railway station is a very pale shadow of its former self (Clifton Junction) when regular trains ran towards Manchester, Bolton and Bury (13 arches).