Sign in to follow this  
flyingking

Rugby League game in Argentina

Taken from League Culture Facebook page

First Rugby League in Argentina expected to draw 1500 people.

The game will be played between two local Argentinian teams on the Atlantic Coast at Club Defensores de Miramar.

In a twist, the game will be played as a curtain-raiser to a soccer semi-final match and a crowd of 1000-1500 is predicted.

Small steps to a bigger goal.

Vamos Argentina

Excellent news!

Not actually the very first RL game played in Argentina, but the hookup with the football match is a great idea.

It's great to hear our our fantastic sport is being showcased in Argentina. I really hope it takes off for them.Good luck to them all.Spread the Rugby League word.

Very cool. I wonder if this will fit into the RLIF's +2G20 strategy

I wonder if we should get the Falklands to play them :ph34r:

Maybe they could play at the Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, where they sometimes stage RU internationals.

Pretty interesting some of the misconceptions that people have about RL when they haven't ever seen the sport. I remember talking to a RU fan in Wales a few years ago who thought offloading was illegal in RL and the sport was literally just a series of one-out hitups. He was legitimately shocked to find out the true nature of the sport. Really strange.

The writer of that Argentinian article did seem to have good intentions and I'll take being described as safer than RU if it encourages participation - I guess he's partially right as you're far less likely to get stamped on or have your eyes gouged in RL.

Exciting news; Argentina are looking to form their first domestic league and play the first international game in South America against Chile in September!

http://latinheatrl.com/2016/03/12/argentinian-league-seeks-naming-sponsor/

Also first full international between two Latin American sides will take place in Sydney on June 11th, El Salvador v Chile

12814591_540927976076770_244722214806738

Also first full international between two Latin American sides will take place in Sydney on June 11th, El Salvador v Chile

12814591_540927976076770_244722214806738

Not really a full international, it's a match in Australia involving ex-pats. Similar to the old Aus-Med Cup which involved the Aussie Greeks, 'Portugal' etc. A nice initiative and it may help to encourage development in the future but let's not make it out to be something that it's not.