Sign in to follow this  
JohnM

Legally binding climate change agreement

Couldn't think where to stick this so here'll do.

Met Office said on the news that it hasn't rained at all in many parts of Suffolk since June 5th, not even a single drop.  The last day that could be classed as other than "dry", i.e. over 1mm of rain, for Suffolk was May 29th.

59 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

People have been looking into it, and predicting its the future for decades.  Still not arrived.  

Problem is it needs investment. The prototype was proved and successful, but any new projects would need to start nearly from scratch so they were taking advantage of modern materials 

3 hours ago, ckn said:

Couldn't think where to stick this so here'll do.

Met Office said on the news that it hasn't rained at all in many parts of Suffolk since June 5th, not even a single drop.  The last day that could be classed as other than "dry", i.e. over 1mm of rain, for Suffolk was May 29th.

Within three hours of posting that, it's raining here in deepest Suffolk, albeit not very much. 

• Haha 3

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/aug/29/ukip-mep-sparks-outrage-with-report-denying-human-role-in-climate-change?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

A European parliament report that blames climate change on cosmic ray fluctuations, sunspots and planetary gravitational pulls, is so hackneyed and ill-informed it would “make the dinosaurs blush,” climate scientists say.

The non-binding opinion written by Ukip MEP, John Stuart Agnew, has shocked EU lawmakers for its dismissal of climate science – and the support he received to write it from mainstream rightwing and liberal political blocs.

New IPCC report is out highlighting how bad things are and what direction they are going in.

But with countries like the USA and Australia pulling back from doing anything about it, what chance do we have?  Its a long term problem so will keep getting shunted along for someone else to deal with.  

As the main story on most news outlets, then the BBC feature what we can do individually to counter it all the while ignoring the elephant in the room. when the USA, China, India acknowledge it and take meaningful action I'll think about giving up eating meat!

52 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

As the main story on most news outlets, then the BBC feature what we can do individually to counter it all the while ignoring the elephant in the room. when the USA, China, India acknowledge it and take meaningful action I'll think about giving up eating meat!

I can't remember the numbers but China and India having reduced their planned number of coal power stations and are doing more solar, so even those countries are seeing a change is needed.  The USA on the other hand are turning their backs on the world.  

55 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

So you’re saying everyone else needs to go first. 

In the words of the great philosopher Michael Jackson “if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change”

Edited by RidingPie
  • Like 1

One person giving up on things is not going to change anything, I resent people such as the BBC trying to lay a guilt trip on individuals while the US oil multinationals, the pupetteer of their government policies continue as they please. And good luck with changing there modus operandi.

In these days of video conference calling, why did all these scientists feel the need to fly to South Korea? 

Also on the Beeb they reported this, suggesting we should, among other things, use cars less. Their next news story, Jaguar/Land Rover stopping production for two weeks due to drop in demand. Jobs potentially at risk? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RidingPie said:

So you’re saying everyone else needs to go first. 

In the words of the great philosopher Michael Jackson “if you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make that change”

In the words of the late great Warren Zeavon "Michael Jackson in Disney Land, Don't have to share it with nobody else. Lock the gates, Goofy, take my hand. And lead me through the World of Self"

13 hours ago, henage said:

Until the world population is stabilised then slowly reduced not a lot will change .

One thing is certain; if we continue gobbling up all the fossil fuels without finding a suitable alternative one day soon there's going to be a very drastic fall in the world's population. With or without man made climate change.

• Like 2

See Australia sticks two fingers up at reducing their coal output and claims that satellite images have shown China is reopening production at former and new coal plants, source the good old BBC, makes me glad I'm too old to care.

watched a documentary the other day about twisters in Kansas , this young girl was swept up in one with her dog and ended up in all sorts of strife with some very strange looking characters, hope these events don't become more frequent cos the whole thing looked pretty scary 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I can't remember the numbers but China and India having reduced their planned number of coal power stations and are doing more solar, so even those countries are seeing a change is needed.  The USA on the other hand are turning their backs on the world.  

I heard a news bulletin the other day that reported that China had reduced its omissions recently.

But how can that be measured over a land area that is so enormous?

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

watched a documentary the other day about twisters in Kansas , this young girl was swept up in one with her dog and ended up in all sorts of strife with some very strange looking characters, hope these events don't become more frequent cos the whole thing looked pretty scary 

I saw the trailer for that in the adverts, something to do with Halifax, is that their new nickname Halifax Twisters!

2 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

I saw the trailer for that in the adverts, something to do with Halifax, is that their new nickname Halifax Twisters!

extreme weather conditions are not anything new in fax 

1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

See Australia sticks two fingers up at reducing their coal output and claims that satellite images have shown China is reopening production at former and new coal plants, source the good old BBC, makes me glad I'm too old to care.

Ironic in a way that they seem to be suffering from potential impacts of climate change with the drought they've had and they're also susceptible to typhoons which are likely to increase in strength and frequency.

3 hours ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I heard a news bulletin the other day that reported that China had reduced its omissions recently.

But how can that be measured over a land area that is so enormous?

It's not directly measured, its an estimate based on fuel burnt.  

The total levels in the atmosphere are measured, but measuring it at a country level is very difficult.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slowdive said:

Ironic in a way that they seem to be suffering from potential impacts of climate change with the drought they've had and they're also susceptible to typhoons which are likely to increase in strength and frequency.

And wildfires and impacts on the barrier reef.