According to the RLIF site, "The World Rankings are automatically updated on the first day of every month. If that falls in the middle of an international series, the update will occur immediately following the series."

Even though there may not have been any change in the rankings since then, there should have been changes in the points for ENG, NZ, FRA, SCO, etc.

There's been no change to the points since 1 Nov, so I sent them an email:

I notice on your site you say the World Rankings are " automatically updated on the first day of every month." I also notice there has been no change to the points scores since 1 Nov, despite the Euro games and England v NZ series.

What's happening?

Yours in RL

Ducknor Ducknussonsen

According to the RLIF site, "The World Rankings are automatically updated on the first day of every month. If that falls in the middle of an international series, the update will occur immediately following the series."

Even though there may not have been any change in the rankings since then, there should have been changes in the points for ENG, NZ, FRA, SCO, etc.

There's been no change to the points since 1 Nov, so I sent them an email:

I notice on your site you say the World Rankings are " automatically updated on the first day of every month." I also notice there has been no change to the points scores since 1 Nov, despite the Euro games and England v NZ series.

What's happening?

Yours in RL

Ducknor Ducknussonsen

What is happening is that they don't have any direct employees so these things get forgotten about.

What is happening is that they don't have any direct employees so these things get forgotten about.

Yes but they say it's automatic and since they've already posted the scores for those matches I would have thought they would have updated it by now. I know they were based at NSWRL HQ for years and used some of their clerical resources. Now they are at the same address as the NRL HQ but I don't know how much overlap there is. I would think the NRL staff wouldn't be too busy right now.

Are you a Swedish Blue?

No, he's just pining for the fjords.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not a fan of this at all as you have Nations where there is next to no domestic scene like Scotland in the top 10 and then you have the Czechs who have a domestic league and Junior development, that use just native Players and are in a way better shape than Scotland, but only ranked 30th. Too much Focus is done on Internationals and not enough domestically for me. I just dont feel it gives a good Picture of whats Happening at all

Not a fan of this at all as you have Nations where there is next to no domestic scene like Scotland in the top 10 and then you have the Czechs who have a domestic league and Junior development, that use just native Players and are in a way better shape than Scotland, but only ranked 30th. Too much Focus is done on Internationals and not enough domestically for me. I just dont feel it gives a good Picture of whats Happening at all

The rankings aren't about who has the most successful domestic scene, they're to rank the success of the senior side, just like in football

I agree with LRL.It does not seem right with the only country who has RL as its national sport at 14 and a country such as Ireland is at 6.

I thought there were more countries playing such as in the Far East,Mexico and parts of Africa.Why don,t they get a mention?

The full rankings are here:  http://www.rlif.com/rankings

I don't think Mexico has played an international yet. Filipinos and Thailand are still in the very early stages. PNG's problem is that, during the rankings period, they have played AUS, NZ, Fiji, etc, much stronger competition than Ireland or Scotland have had.

The full rankings are here:  http://www.rlif.com/rankings

I don't think Mexico has played an international yet. Filipinos and Thailand are still in the very early stages. PNG's problem is that, during the rankings period, they have played AUS, NZ, Fiji, etc, much stronger competition than Ireland or Scotland have had.

Philippines had 2 points in the May rankings but have dropped out due to their opposition in recent years not being officially sanctioned matches.

Thailand has an issue with their being competing governing bodies. I believe the Thailand Stars that played Japan this year are not the recognised team (though I may be wrong about that)

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

The biggest farce in the current rankings is that Tonga is equal with Belgium. In the last 2 years Tonga has beaten Samoa, Cook Islands and Italy and lost to Samoa and Scotland. All those , except Cooks, are ranked in the top 12. Who did Belgium beat?

It would be interesting just hypothetically speaking, to rank the nations in terms of how strong their domestic scene is and how professional they are off the field. I would assume the rankings would look a lot different. IMO,

1. Australia

2. England

3. New Zealand

4. France

5. Wales

6. Png

7. USA

Countries such as Scotland, Ireland, and to a lesser extent Samoa and Tonga would fall dramatically due to reliance on heritage players boosting their real rankings. Whereas Serbia, Canada, Lebanon and Spain would rise.  

Hopefully, when the RLIF starts getting a bit more cash, they can start some kind of "Rewards Programme."  It might be funding for an extra development officer or 1-year of an experienced NRL or SL coach being available to all their domestic teams

While there is much to mock, the important thing to take from this is that Denmark is the top ranked Scandinavian side.  Everything else is details.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

It would be interesting just hypothetically speaking, to rank the nations in terms of how strong their domestic scene is and how professional they are off the field. I would assume the rankings would look a lot different. IMO,

1. Australia

2. England

3. New Zealand

4. France

5. Wales

6. Png

7. USA

Countries such as Scotland, Ireland, and to a lesser extent Samoa and Tonga would fall dramatically due to reliance on heritage players boosting their real rankings. Whereas Serbia, Canada, Lebanon and Spain would rise.  

Domestic scene and development were included in the rankings before, not sure when that was removed. 

The biggest farce in the current rankings is that Tonga is equal with Belgium. In the last 2 years Tonga has beaten Samoa, Cook Islands and Italy and lost to Samoa and Scotland. All those , except Cooks, are ranked in the top 12. Who did Belgium beat?

Not only that, a full strength Tonga (I know, I know....) would put about 70 on Belgium.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

Imho, we must decide what's important between having a World Cup withouth too many one-sided games, or an International scene that reflects the domestic one. 

We all know Italian team at 2013 RLWC was full of Aussie or English born & based players (just like Scotland, Ireland but also the Pacific teams), but that was necessary to have some kind of event. I don't think a lot of people would have come to see a game between the full professional top SL based England team and some kind of amateur side. 

International RL just need to find the balance between the use of heritage players (who let us have an event worth the "World Cup" name, with closed games and scores) and the development of the domestic scene. 

But let's be realistic: Serbia - who totally deserve to be in Australia&NZ in 2017 for what they've done - would be a no match for any International team competing to the WC. 

I'm not against teams full of heritage players (see the commitment by guys like Pat Richards for Ireland, or Danny Brough's strong link with his Scottish heritage and the help he gave to Scottish RL); I don't like when the Federations don't work enough on developing their presence in the country in non WC years. 

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

Czech Republic, Netherlands

This year alone, Belgium has played 5 matches and won 2. Tonga has played 3 and won 1

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Archived