Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GLENNGARY

NEW STAND?

Does anyone know when work starts on the new stand and turnstiles. I have just been for a walk in Phillips park and on passing the ground  couldn't see any sign of any work having been done?

As far as I know the stand won't be put up until it NEEDS to be to comply with Championship clubs' ground criteria, i.e., when the first scheduled match takes place, i.e., 7 February, Dewsbury at home. At the end of the season it will be taken down.

Question to the board?  If on the 16th of February Bury council refuse permission for the new stand where will that leave the club as far as the championship goes?

Contingency plans are being put in place in case of that eventuality. There's no reason to suspect our place in the championship is under any threat whatsoever. The RFL is being kept fully up to date with developments, and they've been helpful and supportive.

I was talking to a workmate last night who is a season ticket holder at Swinton. He reckons the first two home games are at the AJ Bell. is this true? he seems to think the proposed new temp stand won't get planning permission. What's the score?

Edited by MancRL

First match v Dewsbury will be at the AJ Bell and coach travel is available for £2 return.

No news regarding later matches as will depend on outcome of Bury planning committee.

I understand the type of stand proposed will literally take a couple of days to erect as it is similar to those used around the greens at major golfing events.

Travelled to London at the weekend and their seating is no way up to RFL minimum standards/capacity. Unless you ofcourse count the wooded benches on wheels that were on the far side.

Checking into Whitehaven's stadium facilities, there's no mention of the seated accommodation but on the ground's Wikipedia page it says the following.

"...and the LLWR Grandstand which seats 556. The ground is set to have a second seated stand holding 1,100 people where the Popular side terracing now stands."

Perhaps if our proposed additional stand was located along our 'popular side' (opposite the existing stand) it would be less 'obtrusive', not reducing car parking numbers and much less of an imposition to residents being largely out of sight. Desperate times call for desperate measures as the saying goes. No harm in giving it some thought and consideration.

I await being shot down in flames.

Also it has occurred to me, if Whitehaven have been in this league in recent seasons, haven't they been hosting home games with less than the minimum seating requirements with their stand seating 556? It certainly looks that way according to Steve Wild's '750' quotation. Perhaps our 'betters' at Red Hall have been turning a 'blind eye' hitherto to the Recreation Ground seating issue?

Edited by Blue Monkey

Those at red hall always seem to turn a blind eye to things when it suits them, unless your swinton lions in which case the rules apply.

I hope this is resolved soon.As an Oldham supporter I can empathise with the feeling of not knowing what's round the corner.Hope it gets sorted.

I hope this is resolved soon.As an Oldham supporter I can empathise with the feeling of not knowing what's round the corner.Hope it gets sorted.

Cheers Owdamer!