Phil

Those nice tories

27 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

They aren't decreasing the national debt (yet) but they have been decreasing taxes and the deficit since 2010.

You say 'yet'. The Office for Budget Responsibility in their latest analysis in November 2017 says that they won't eliminate the deficit until at least 2031, potentially later. Additionally, that is ignoring Brexit due to the lack of info provided by the government. The Tories original claim was the deficit was going to be eliminated by 2015. What part of this gives the Tories' future claims any credibility?

6 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I didn't see reference to him being a speaker although I confess I did struggle to read the whole thing as I couldn't zoom in on it.  If he was a speaker then fair enough, it's distasteful and puts him in a difficult position.  However, if he simply attended then I don't think that makes any difference at all given that he's a journalist.

I am looking forward reading his expose on this group.  

3 hours ago, Dreadnoughts back please said:

Crikey imagine that your only reason to get up, go to the polling station and vote. Fear is the mind killer.

I have (obviously) heard of conservatism but I still believe there must be something positive causing people to vote for them.

They don't want Labour to take their money odd thing is the current Tories are neither decreasing taxes or decreasing national debt!

there must be some tory hope or dream, they must have a vision over keeping our heads above water, but what it is, i don't know.

I've spotted the flaw in your logic. You say "Keeping our heads above water." Of course, you should have said "Keeping their heads well above the water."

We are NOT all in this together.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Keeping Labour out, above all else, I would imagine.

Why would they want to do that?

Answer that question effectively, and the opposition might start to make some inroads into their support.

It's not just keeping Labour out, it's keeping themselves in.  There's no money or profit in being in opposition.  That's why they hate it so much, that's why they hated Blair so much.  He did many things that Tories ought to like, but they still hated him, because he kept them away from the nice little earners that being in government provides for Tory backbenchers.  And once they get in and their hands of the levers of power they'll do anything to stay  there.  THAT'S why Clegg doing the deal with them was such a huge mistake.

16 hours ago, Trojan said:

It's not just keeping Labour out, it's keeping themselves in.  There's no money or profit in being in opposition.  That's why they hate it so much, that's why they hated Blair so much.  He did many things that Tories ought to like, but they still hated him, because he kept them away from the nice little earners that being in government provides for Tory backbenchers.  And once they get in and their hands of the levers of power they'll do anything to stay  there.  THAT'S why Clegg doing the deal with them was such a huge mistake.

I agree with this and it's why I don't get modern tories, apart from a few outlaws, like mogg, and clarke they are 1997 labour without the conviction to bloody say so.

1 hour ago, Dreadnoughts back please said:

I agree with this and it's why I don't get modern tories, apart from a few outlaws, like mogg, and clarke they are 1997 labour without the conviction to bloody say so.

To liken modern Tories to 1997 Labour is a misrepresentation of gargantuan proportions.

• Like 2

Conflict of interests?

New Tory Housing Secretary Sajid Javid was Director of his brother’s £11m buy-to-let property firm

Javid has previously voted to phase out secure tenancies for the very poorest people – those living in social housing. He was also one of 72 landlord Tory MPs to vote against a bill requiring private landlords such as himself to ensure that their properties were ‘fit for human habitation‘.

2 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

How is this a conflict of interest?  His brother owns the company and he hasn't been a director there since 2005 - that's at least 12 years that he hasn't been a director for his brother's company.  

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

How is this a conflict of interest?  His brother owns the company and he hasn't been a director there since 2005 - that's at least 12 years that he hasn't been a director for his brother's company.  

You don't think it's even slightly wrong? Or immoral?

35 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

You don't think it's even slightly wrong? Or immoral?

Why should I think it wrong or immoral that his brother owns a housing company?  

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Why should I think it wrong or immoral that his brother owns a housing company?  

Your response doesn't surprise me

On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 4:08 PM, Shadow said:

The only thing being grasped round here is straws by you.

whatever the thrust of the article he says “I’m in the wrong party”

and

”I’ve thrown in my lot with the Tories”

how explicit does it have to be?

Is every Labour voter a member of the Labour party?

23 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Is every Labour voter a member of the Labour party?

Either you can’t comprehend the clear implication I quoted or you’re being deliberately obtuse.

• Like 1

If elements of this government get their way, you are looking at the systematic destruction of the British Armed Forces. The figures currently quoted in the press are only half the story with the key component of fighting power, morale, quickly being eroded by decisions made by this government. There will be no Armed Forces left to protect the nation if this continues.

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

If elements of this government get their way, you are looking at the systematic destruction of the British Armed Forces. The figures currently quoted in the press are only half the story with the key component of fighting power, morale, quickly being eroded by decisions made by this government. There will be no Armed Forces left to protect the nation if this continues.

Link to some of the proposals being looked at very seriously by the Treasury having liaised with the old Fallon regime:

https://www.forces.net/news/army/reports-unacceptable-plans-merge-paras-and-marines

Current Defence Secretary rightly fighting such proposals. 

Edited by GeordieSaint

10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Link to some of the proposals being looked at very seriously by the Treasury having liaised with the old Fallon regime:

https://www.forces.net/news/army/reports-unacceptable-plans-merge-paras-and-marines

Current Defence Secretary rightly fighting such proposals. 

The scary thing is that as soon as someone mentions scenario planning for likely events in the next 20 years they're either silenced internally or ridiculed.  We can't pretend that the US will back us up if we need to go in militarily somewhere.  For example, the Falklands or even Gibraltar.  Can we get a military force there?  Can the military force establish some sort of air superiority?  Can we then get troops on the ground in any likelihood of success? 

Pretending that the world will be at peace for the next 20 years is an extreme sort of arrogant nonsense.

5 hours ago, ckn said:

The scary thing is that as soon as someone mentions scenario planning for likely events in the next 20 years they're either silenced internally or ridiculed.  We can't pretend that the US will back us up if we need to go in militarily somewhere.  For example, the Falklands or even Gibraltar.  Can we get a military force there?  Can the military force establish some sort of air superiority?  Can we then get troops on the ground in any likelihood of success? 

Pretending that the world will be at peace for the next 20 years is an extreme sort of arrogant nonsense.

There is nothing worth defending (for the Tories anyway), the rich can move their money anywhere at a mouse click and probably don't live here anyway. 

Stock up on woad and sharp sticks for the rest of us. 

17 hours ago, ckn said:

As is thinking technology is the key to future conflict and that our enemies won’t adapt and develop their capabilities. We’ve already fallen behind near peers in our ability to manoeuvre, survive and deliver lethal force on the battlefield across all four domains due to a lack of investment and complacency. We also haven’t learned any lessons from Iraq and Afghanistan that technology cannot replace mass and boots on the ground. The Armed Forces are in a right old mess and close to completely falling apart.

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

As is thinking technology is the key to future conflict and that our enemies won’t adapt and develop their capabilities. We’ve already fallen behind near peers in our ability to manoeuvre, survive and deliver lethal force on the battlefield across all four domains due to a lack of investment and complacency. We also haven’t learned any lessons from Iraq and Afghanistan that technology cannot replace mass and boots on the ground. The Armed Forces are in a right old mess and close to completely falling apart.

The thing that’s completely dispiriting is that no other party will do differently. Could you imagine a Corbyn led party funding an expensive military modernisation and re-establishment programme?

On 1/11/2018 at 4:21 PM, Saint 1 said:

You say 'yet'. The Office for Budget Responsibility in their latest analysis in November 2017 says that they won't eliminate the deficit until at least 2031, potentially later. Additionally, that is ignoring Brexit due to the lack of info provided by the government. The Tories original claim was the deficit was going to be eliminated by 2015. What part of this gives the Tories' future claims any credibility?

I note the lack of response. Disappointing but not surprising. 

6 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

They have no shame: Theresa May mocked for suggesting Tories to thank for credit card charge ban imposed by EU

How stupid do they believe people are and no one will work out that they're lying? :fie:

And for my next trick the Tories invented the NHS.

1 hour ago, Saint 1 said:

I note the lack of response. Disappointing but not surprising. 

Don't bring up the difficult stuff to deal with, you know like erm, reality.