Phil

Those nice tories

8 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Why? I can't wait to see the back of her.

While I disagree with her policies, she has managed to humor the barking Brexit wing, actively use them as a negotiating tool in Europe, and not alienate the EU. 

At a time when no Tory PM could look good, she has held the party together and kept it ahead in the polls mid-term (unusual in normal circumstances). 

The Tories that want her head are those demanding unicorns and rainbows on a sunny day. They will be disappointed further. 

I'm with Bob8 on this. While in an ideal world I'd prefer another PM, the question is who?

Johnson, Davis, Gove, and Rees-Mogg are all huge no's for me. Clark or Sourby wouldn't have a chance of getting through, and if they did Mogg's ERG would make the party ungovernable. Leaving a general election and Corby who, while I believe he's a principled guy does not represent the direction I want to country to go in and, lets be honest, he's fairly anti-EU.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The 7.30 news bulletin on R4 this morning was a litany of department by department failures and cock ups by this government in addition to this.

37 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

The 7.30 news bulletin on R4 this morning was a litany of department by department failures and cock ups by this government in addition to this.

This is fine because it's fine.

1 hour ago, RidingPie said:

I'm with Bob8 on this. While in an ideal world I'd prefer another PM, the question is who?

Johnson, Davis, Gove, and Rees-Mogg are all huge no's for me. Clark or Sourby wouldn't have a chance of getting through, and if they did Mogg's ERG would make the party ungovernable. Leaving a general election and Corby who, while I believe he's a principled guy does not represent the direction I want to country to go in and, lets be honest, he's fairly anti-EU.

Looks more like a case of when rather than if she’ll be pushed

Such a parcel of rogues in a nation. 

14 minutes ago, ckn said:

It's starting to look that way! I've said this before but the Conservative Party needs to split so that people can vote more specifically for what level of crazy they want (and in fact the Labour party does as well for that matter).

Obviously that could only ever happen if we had PR but it would stop the wild swings we've had within the same parties in recent years. 

1 hour ago, Griff9of13 said:

No no no . Everything’s absolutely fine , the party is right behind this great prime minister , I’ve heard nothing of plots and disharmony , the pm is ABSOLUTELY CLEAR in where she’s going , no problems we’re doing a great job and the whole country bar a whinging minority are doing good under us ....I heard some ministers say so . 

I always wonder how they can come out and blatantly spin and lie . Whichever party , black is white , fiction is reality . Really amazing how they can do it 

20 minutes ago, Evil Homer said:

Tories back far-right, anti-Semitic regime.

I’m sure the fact they are one of the most supportive countries with regards to Brexit is coincidental.

7 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I’m sure the fact they are one of the most supportive countries with regards to Brexit is coincidental.

Almost as though all the "outrage" about anti-Semitism in the Labour party was possibly a tad hypocritical. <_<

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I don't see what is remarkable about that.  The crash has had financial impact on people here and elsewhere in the world and how they managed to work out a specific age group is anyone's guess.  I'm older than that but I'm in a job that before the crash would have earned me almost £2,000 more than it does today.  Boo hoo.  When you get to a certain age you realise that economic things like everything else ebbs and flows.   Islam talks as if it's a shock when how can it be?  We suffered a massive financial crisis for which the UK was not prepared (thanks to the overspending of the last Labour government).  No country recovers from that quickly, and no country has.

16 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

That may play a part but if memory serves the government was equally as supportive of Poland which the EU also wants to investigate and for the same reason: it is not for the EU to interfere in the democracies of nation states.

Here is Margaret Thatcher saying the same sort of thing about EU interference.

Edited by Saintslass

9 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Almost as though all the "outrage" about anti-Semitism in the Labour party was possibly a tad hypocritical. <_<

Er, the reference was to George Soros.  He may be Jewish but the problem is that he likes to interfere in democracies with his sizeable wealth.  He's doing the same thing over here by funding an anti-Brexit movement.  He wasn't born here, he doesn't live here, but he wants to interfere in our democracy.  I'd be quite happy if we booted his organisation out in the same way the Hungarian government did.  

Err, Rupert Murdoch - wasn't born here, doesn't live here, but he want's to interfere in our democracy. I'd be careful which stones you turn over regarding interference in the referendum.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Err, Rupert Murdoch - wasn't born here, doesn't live here, but he want's to interfere in our democracy. I'd be careful which stones you turn over regarding interference in the referendum.

Absolutely.  I don't know why you think I'd argue with that statement but there you go, enjoy your whataboutism!

Edited by Saintslass

54 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I don't see what is remarkable about that.  The crash has had financial impact on people here and elsewhere in the world and how they managed to work out a specific age group is anyone's guess.  I'm older than that but I'm in a job that before the crash would have earned me almost £2,000 more than it does today.  Boo hoo.  When you get to a certain age you realise that economic things like everything else ebbs and flows.   Islam talks as if it's a shock when how can it be?  We suffered a massive financial crisis for which the UK was not prepared (thanks to the overspending of the last Labour government).  No country recovers from that quickly, and no country has.

I have spent the last eleven years working in the USA and western Europe. 

The UK is unusual in that despite having suffered medium impact, it has failed to recover well.  Consider most of Europe has had the best part of eight years of steady growth.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Absolutely.  I don't know why you think I'd argue with that statement but there you go, enjoy your whataboutism!

There is a difference between saying something is alright because someone else does something bad and pointing out an argument is not genuine. 

4 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I have spent the last eleven years working in the USA and western Europe. 

The UK is unusual in that despite having suffered medium impact, it has failed to recover well.  Consider most of Europe has had the best part of eight years of steady growth.

We have had steady growth.

We have better youth employment than many EU countries and better overall employment rates than many EU countries.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

More absolute nonsense! We keep getting told that everything is hunky dorey. You only have to look at the high street, the shops and homeless people to see that the country is phucked.

Edited by Mark S

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

We have had steady growth.

We have better youth employment than many EU countries and better overall employment rates than many EU countries.

Don’t you think that the employment numbers are now helped by compulsory education up to aged 18 zero hour contracts? 

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

We suffered a massive financial crisis for which the UK was not prepared (thanks to the overspending of the last Labour government).  No country recovers from that quickly, and no country has.

That's just a lie. Labour were spending at a similar level to the preceding Tory government right up to the financial crash. In fact, as can be seen, they ran a larger more sustained surplus than the Tories.

Budget-deficits-graphic-008.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The youth of today should just be grateful to have a job, regardless of where they have to sleep...............