Phil

Those nice tories

In an effort to appear open and transparent over his nom dom and overseas trust fund -

Zac Goldsmith publishes his tax return showing he's paid more than £4.5 million in tax on his worldwide income since becoming an MP.

In an effort to appear open and transparent over his nom dom and overseas trust fund -

Zac Goldsmith publishes his tax return showing he's paid more than £4.5 million in tax on his worldwide income since becoming an MP.

Man of the people.

Don't knock honesty. He's the only other MP who has followed Corbyn and McConnell in publishing their tax returns.

Don't knock honesty. He's the only other MP who has followed Corbyn and McConnell in publishing their tax returns.

Pressured into it because of his nom-dom trust fund arrangements.  He said last week he would release him tax returns if everyone else in the mayoral race agreed to. 

He is for brexit but I'm sure his swiss trust fund will be OK.

Having lots of money is no way to assess someone's character.  Goldsmith has never denied he's a wealthy man, I don't dislike him because of that, I just don't like his politics.  I know some very wealthy people I'd cross the street to avoid if I could and the same with some very poor people.

The "hard of thinking" could really do with understanding the difference between PAYE and Corporation Tax.

The main difference being that one is optional, at least in the minds of dodgy company accountants.

Flipping heck, a Lib Dem MP capable of sensible thought and action !!

That's a little unfair, I'd say a quarter of all the Lib-dem MPs are very effective constituency MPs, Farron and Greg Mulholland.

Admittedly that's only two!

Having lots of money is no way to assess someone's character.  Goldsmith has never denied he's a wealthy man, I don't dislike him because of that, I just don't like his politics.  I know some very wealthy people I'd cross the street to avoid if I could and the same with some very poor people.

I do think its right to ponder why he buys property via a cayman isles company, how much tax was avoided by being a non dom, etc.

I do think its right to ponder why he buys property via a cayman isles company, how much tax was avoided by being a non dom, etc.

Actually, I don't really object to that. I think we would all like to take advantage of off shore tax havens. The problem for me is that 90%+ of the population are not rich enough to be able to do so. (Can't afford the accomodation address, the fancy accountants and even fancier lawyers) It is this inequality of opportunity that makes my blood boil. I'll say it again, it's one law for the rich and the rest of us are screwed.

Remember that Sure Start scheme started by the Labour government in 1998?  It's aims were "giving children the best possible start in life" following highly successful programmes across the world on the same basis.  Well, that nice Conservative council in Essex is closing 25 or 37 of the ones in the county.  The alternative offered?  Privately paid ones.

Well done.  Really, well done.

Remember that Sure Start scheme started by the Labour government in 1998? It's aims were "giving children the best possible start in life" following highly successful programmes across the world on the same basis. Well, that nice Conservative council in Essex is closing 25 or 37 of the ones in the county. The alternative offered? Privately paid ones.

Well done. Really, well done.

It's not just happening in Essex but all over the country.

It's not just happening in Essex but all over the country.

Yep, I highlighted the Essex one because it's fairly local to me the numbers are firm.  Some councils are doing it sneakily, closing one or two at a time so it doesn't look so bad as closing 2/3 of a county's at once.

Priti Patel says cutting some disabled people's benefits by £30 a week is justified

Yes, because £103 a week is extravagant. How dare people be sick and have the nerve to be employed by companies that refuse to support them when they're ill.

They just get better and better don't hey?  Does anyone remember the 1980's Sci Fi series "V"  The aliens looked like us, talked like us, and pretended to have our best interests at heart, but under their disguises they were really lizards who wanted to eat us.  That's the best analogy I can think of for this government.

Remember that Sure Start scheme started by the Labour government in 1998?  It's aims were "giving children the best possible start in life" following highly successful programmes across the world on the same basis.  Well, that nice Conservative council in Essex is closing 25 or 37 of the ones in the county.  The alternative offered?  Privately paid ones.

Well done.  Really, well done.

That's not the full story though is it, just the part that fits your own agenda.